BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

High Mileage M's and Major Repairs

Hi guys, im a new M3 owner. I swapped an 08 Cayman S for a 08 M3 with 38k miles. This is gonna be my commuter car. I will put on approximately 15k-17k miles a year. I would like to hear from other M3 commuters on see who has the most miles and what types of repairs where necessary to keep the car running.

Is there anyone with over 100k miles on there cars yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
i drive my car daily before my sc and with the sc now. The only kind of things you need to do is like oil changes i do mine every 4-6 thousand miles. When ever i swap my winter wheel and summer wheels i do a alignment and sometimes do the balancing. Other than the normal things not much to do honestly, the car is pretty amazing for a daily.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

I tried to bring my M3 into the dealer for an oil change at 8k miles. He said they wont do an oil change until it hits 14k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I tried to bring my M3 into the dealer for an oil change at 8k miles. He said they wont do an oil change until it hits 14k miles.
yea you gotta pay out of pocket for it.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Yesterday I stopped by a local racing shop. They had just hired a tech from a dealer who had just completed the entire suite of BMW certifications. I told him I had an 08 E90 M3 about to come off warranty and the first words that came out of his mouth were, "Get rid of it now." I was floored. I must have asked 5 or 6 times, "Really? Are you sure?" At first he thought I was talking about a regular old 3-series. After he realized I had the M, he admitted they put better quality components in, thought the magnesium engine block hadn't been proven out, the 6MT is better than the DCT - but still told me BMW makes all their cars now to require repalcement after 4-5 years.

It's an understatement to say I'm disappointed to hear what he had to say because I am just thrilled with how this car has been as my daily driver the past 3 years. I have 34K on the clock and it feels solid as the day I bought it. I never had a second thought about it before, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade up to a 12 or 13. Of course that means I'd be in a coupe... not my first choice simply because the B-pillar is in my blind spot on the E92. But I guess I could do ED. Hm. Trade-offs...

Anyhow, subscribed to this thread to see what other feedback comes in.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Yesterday I stopped by a local racing shop. They had just hired a tech from a dealer who had just completed the entire suite of BMW certifications. I told him I had an 08 E90 M3 about to come off warranty and the first words that came out of his mouth were, "Get rid of it now." I was floored. I must have asked 5 or 6 times, "Really? Are you sure?" At first he thought I was talking about a regular old 3-series. After he realized I had the M, he admitted they put better quality components in, thought the magnesium engine block hadn't been proven out, the 6MT is better than the DCT - but still told me BMW makes all their cars now to require repalcement after 4-5 years.

It's an understatement to say I'm disappointed to hear what he had to say because I am just thrilled with how this car has been as my daily driver the past 3 years. I have 34K on the clock and it feels solid as the day I bought it. I never had a second thought about it before, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade up to a 12 or 13. Of course that means I'd be in a coupe... not my first choice simply because the B-pillar is in my blind spot on the E92. But I guess I could do ED. Hm. Trade-offs...

That is very sad and scary to hear. I though M cars can last 150k+ miles.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:

I find that very hard to believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:

Bunch of malarky.
With proper maintenance these cars last a long time. Preventative maintenance is the key. And believe it or not, the M3 is one of the most reliable cars in BMW's current lineup.

I can see what your tech was saying if he was talking about N54's lol

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
+1
      02-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
Me too, but I do give his opinion some weight seeing as he's been extensively trained by the mothership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Bunch of malarky.
With proper maintenance these cars last a long time. Preventative maintenance is the key. And believe it or not, the M3 is one of the most reliable cars in BMW's current lineup.

I can see what your tech was saying if he was talking about N54's lol
Agree that maintenance is huge (when I tracked this car I changed the oil every three track days, bled the brakes regulary, etc). His concerns seemed to be based on various computer modules that (he stated) are created to fail after 50K miles. And are very expensive to replace.

Also, FWIW, I'm shopping for a maintenance shop for this car post-warranty (May). I haven't yet made a decision, I just know I don't want the dealership to be my primary care-taker.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
but still told me BMW makes all their cars now to require repalcement after 4-5 years.
He sounds like a total moron.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

^^+1
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Hi guys, im a new M3 owner. I swapped an 08 Cayman S for a 08 M3 with 38k miles. This is gonna be my commuter car. I will put on approximately 15k-17k miles a year. I would like to hear from other M3 commuters on see who has the most miles and what types of repairs where necessary to keep the car running.

Is there anyone with over 100k miles on there cars yet?
Ok let me ask..since no one has...why would you want an M3 to use like this and put this many miles on.. The gas alone will KILL you...not to mention you drive the value of the car into the ground..think this over.

I get 180 miles (city) out of a tank of gas.. highway you will fare better ofcourse...but if you do the math..thats still going get really expensive for you...especially with gas predicted to hit $5 a gallon by this summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Ok let me ask..since no one has...why would you want an M3 to use like this and put this many miles on.. The gas alone will KILL you...not to mention you drive the value of the car into the ground..think this over.

I get 180 miles (city) out of a tank of gas.. highway you will fare better ofcourse...but if you do the math..thats still going get really expensive for you...especially with gas predicted to hit $5 a gallon by this summer.
I like to drive my cars. My Cayman S was my daily driver and now my M3 is my daily. Im not too concerned with gas. We also have a prius in the family that i drive one day a week.

I may be dumb but i would even drive a GT3 or a Lambo as a daily if i had one. But thats just me. I got really sad when i commuted in the prius for a year.

I just wanna make sure the car doesnt brake down and if there are certain issues at specific mileages then i would like to know so I can prepare for them. We had a 2004 330I that we put 130k miles on with no major issues just a leaky oil filter housing after 100k miles.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Last edited by Wendall; 02-23-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

i had 77 on mine, over 20 were with a supercharger, only thing i ever changed was the oil and tires, no bushings or anything, drove the same as it did the day i got rid of it as the day i got it, these things are better built then the older ones and made to last
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
i had 77 on mine, over 20 were with a supercharger, only thing i ever changed was the oil and tires, no bushings or anything, drove the same as it did the day i got rid of it as the day i got it, these things are better built then the older ones and made to last
I love your avatar and sig!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Oddly enough I was speaking with my tuner today and mentioned I was looking to get an M3 and this is what he told me:

Quote:
...actually just had a warranty-company adjuster here the other day and we were discussing the newer M3's and the gross amount of repairs he's had to deal with and the insane amount of money they cost...
He told me if I did get one to make sure it was under warranty or had an after market one. Guess I'll need to stick with a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Wait I'm confused. If you're not going to drive the car, why bother getting one? So you're just going to leave your M3 in the garage and look at it? Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper buying a poster instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
Wait I'm confused. If you're not going to drive the car, why bother getting one? So you're just going to leave your M3 in the garage and look at it? Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper buying a poster instead?
Once again extremism at its best..what?.. so you either have to daily drive you car 17K miles a year or look at a poster?..pretty ridculous statement..

My M3 is my second car..I use another car to rack up the miles on and not killed on gas/repairs...that doesnt mean I dont drive my M3.. its my fun car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
martyallthetime
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
Once again extremism at its best..what?.. so you either have to daily drive you car 17K miles a year or look at a poster?..pretty ridculous statement..

My M3 is my second car..I use another car to rack up the miles on and not killed on gas/repairs...that doesnt mean I dont drive my M3.. its my fun car.
I agree. Driving the M to work in traffic is just as boring as taking my commuter car to work. Weekend toy for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
This response is for the OP. I average 24K miles a year and currently sitting at 76K miles. The statements about how much to drive your car are silly. This car was meant to be driven. I have only heard of one person achieving 100K on another message board. No repairs have been necessary, unless you want to count the time I spent $100 to refill the AC system. My commute is about 50/50 highway city and I'm averaging 300 miles to a tank. Tires/gas and oil changes should be your major expenses. Enjoy your M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #22
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
The statements about how much to drive your car are silly. This car was meant to be driven..
So says the guy from sunny FL,,see you at resale time and we'll see how silly..
Appreciate 0