BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
vanderbilly
Stop looking at me
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 DCT ZCP

I've decided on the OEM mod

Sincere thanks to all who posted the great advice and I have decided to go with the OEM mod as my entry into exhaust mods. I've heard so many exhausts and liked some, hated others. Last night I did a blind test with audio clips I had downloaded and I kept circling back to the OEM mod. Also I'm encouraged by the total lack of drone reported by everyone who has had it done. The INCREDIBLY low price didn't hurt either although that was not the deciding factor. I do have to be honest though that I feel pretty good about saving that money.

Regarding the sound, I see exhaust like fine art as our opinions of both are always subjective and always different. Some people look at a Picasso and say their 2 year old could have done that, while others would smack them for even thinking that.

I'll upload some pics later but you guys have already seen (and heard) what it looks (and sounds) like. It's being done right now and I'm just having the pipe with the most perforations swapped on both sides with solid pipe and stuffing the wigs back in (all top cuts). My muffler guy said the tape would work but he strongly suggested against as it might not hold up. He also showed me how the perforated pipe was was a floating design near the center so it would freely slide in and out of the pipe it fits into and act as an expansion joint as the exhaust heated and cooled. That was an interesting design element but he suggested to weld it up tight on both sides and I agreed.

Expansion smanshion I say!

Then it's off to Vegas to blow that $3,000 I saved on strippers
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

ill be at classic bmw monday if you wanna hear my car
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0