BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

09-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Canon or Nikon DSLR for beginner

love taking pictures...even with my Point and Shoot, I believe i take some good pictures if i can say so my self

anyway, I would like to further enhance my photography skills by purchasing a DSLR. My friends have D70 and D80 which are more than what I need.

but comparing Nikon and Canon entry level cameras, Which is better? why?
Which has more/better/less expensive lenses?

inputs appreciated

reminder this is a PnS w no enhancement...can u tell i'm a fan of night shots?

09-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
DamnitDavid
Chocolate Wasted 24/7 365
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R and '09 M3 AW

you should look into the Nikon D40 (i think its 6mp) or the D40x (10mp) its small enough to carry around!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have the Nikon D40X and i LOVE IT!! it's my first DSLR and it's very easy to use, with capiblities similar, if not the same to the D80. All shutter speed, apature and ISO settings are one push of a button or turn of a dial away. I have the 18-200mm lens with it, and it's the perfect combo!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Boxers or briefs?

Search on this, there are a lot of great exchanges on this topic.

I'm a Nikon person, have been for a long time. So, take that into consideration when I say:

1. It really doesn't matter. In the 35mm format, Nikon used to have the best glass out there, and really earned their name that way. That said, the last ten years have been pretty even between Canon and Nikon. Remember, with either camera, it's all about the lenses, not the body, especially when you are first getting started.

2. Test them both, see what feels more comfortable. It's a little bit the fiddle, much more who holds the bow.

3. The thing that swayed me to Nikon, and it only matters if you expect to be doing this for a while, is Nikon's history of supporting old lenses with new bodies. When I went from film to digital, I was able to use ALL of my old glass. I've since added new pieces, and can still use most of them on my dad's ancient Nikkormat. That's not a great reason to pick one over the other, but at the time it mattered to me.

I'd still say go with what feels better in your hand.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep

thanks for the inputs.

I've seen more people with nikons than Canons lol

D40 gets my vote once i'm better, i can always upgrade..until then I should be good with a D40 for many years!
      09-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have a d40x and love it, but to be honest, its personal prefrence. Go to your local camera shop and hold them both see which you like most.
      09-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
DamnitDavid
Chocolate Wasted 24/7 365
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R and '09 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
I have a d40x and love it, but to be honest, its personal prefrence. Go to your local camera shop and hold them both see which you like most.
ditto! its what you like. im getting a d40x because is going down in price. new nikons are coming out!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

yea just chose what you want and remember that equipment wise, it comes down to the lenses you use, and the big reason i want to move up to a canon 5D is the fact that I want a full frame sensored dslr to go with my wide angle lens, not a croped sensor dslr like most cameras, and like all nikons (why does nikon insist on using the croped sensor, i dont know). Both canon and nikon are great man, like seriously. I've got nothing against the nikon guys and im pretty sure they dont have anything against us canon guys either. Its kinda like picking the color and options for your new BMW, in the end its a great car and your both choosing it, so it just comes down to what colors/options you like. I chose Canon becuase i liked the user interface better then nikons, and their ability to do a tad bit better at night, and also their photos tend to be slightly less grainy. Canons are a bit more $$$$ though, so just go pick what you like man, but the best advice i can give you is.............DO YOUR RESEARCH! On photography, lighting, and all the manual mode camera functions, custom functions, along with other features, and also invest some time and money into photoshop CS3. You know, e90post is good and all for asking your questions, but you should really try google first.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 03:08 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
yea just chose what you want and remember that equipment wise, it comes down to the lenses you use, and the big reason i want to move up to a canon 5D is the fact that I want a full frame sensored dslr to go with my wide angle lens, not a croped sensor dslr like most cameras, and like all nikons (why does nikon insist on using the croped sensor, i dont know). Both canon and nikon are great man, like seriously. I've got nothing against the nikon guys and im pretty sure they dont have anything against us canon guys either. Its kinda like picking the color and options for your new BMW, in the end its a great car and your both choosing it, so it just comes down to what colors/options you like. I chose Canon becuase i liked the user interface better then nikons, and their ability to do a tad bit better at night, and also their photos tend to be slightly less grainy. Canons are a bit more $$$$ though, so just go pick what you like man, but the best advice i can give you is.............DO YOUR RESEARCH! On photography, lighting, and all the manual mode camera functions, custom functions, along with other features, and also invest some time and money into photoshop CS3. You know, e90post is good and all for asking your questions, but you should really try google first.
Nikon will release their first full frame dslr, the D3, this fall.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:

Drives me nuts I can't get a full frame sensor until now. I love my D200, and after getting it, I said the only thing that would get me to buy a new one would be a full frame sensor....guess I'll be looking at the D3 soon!

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep

aren't those cameras like a price of a new car lol
      09-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

D3 is looking pretty reasonable for a flagship DSLR - less than $4k. I'm going to hold off and see what Nikon decides to do moving forward, and if there might be a d350 that is FX format. Just bought the D200 about 9 mos ago, tough to justify the added $$$ when I'm not using it to make a living.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Ha, they are a couple thousand...

I have a Canon Rebel (got it for under $500 on sale) The lenses for the Canons are a lot cheaper because of the surplus of them, you can find them all over ebay. I just do some personal photography so it is perfect for me. If you have the money to spend, get a Nikon, you will get about the same camera from Canon for about 200-500 less (after lenses and such).
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Ha, they are a couple thousand...

I have a Canon Rebel (got it for under $500 on sale) The lenses for the Canons are a lot cheaper because of the surplus of them, you can find them all over ebay. I just do some personal photography so it is perfect for me. If you have the money to spend, get a Nikon, you will get about the same camera from Canon for about 200-500 less (after lenses and such).
If you have money get a nikon? Im pretty sure its the other way around haha, unless your only talk about a rebel vs a d40.......other wise, nikons are way less expensive then Canons when you compare two cameras against eachother in the same class. I mean the flagship nikon D3 is less then 4k while the flagship canon 1ds mark iii is 8k......and so on with the 5D and D200/300

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

let me ask this question though, why didnt companies like Pentax, Minolta, Fuji, and other dslr manufacturers take off like Canon and Nikon did? I mean Pentax has been around forever, and fuji makes the best sensors........so why is it always Canon this or Nikon that?

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
dmuniz
Rep
Drives: e90

Nikon

I am really happy with my D70
so +1 for nikon

You should consider purchasing a better lens, since some fo the lenses that come with the kits are basic lenses. While the body of the camera will change as technolgoy changes, the lenses will outlive your camera. As long as you keep buying nikon then the lenses should work.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

^^^ yea, usually the kit lenses arent too special, but on most flagship cameras the supplied lens is really good. For canon I know that the "L" series lenses are the best Canon offers and that cameras like the 1d and the 5d come with an L series lens, its just up to you to decide what focal range best suites you from that point on. I personally just sold the lens that came with my camera and finally worked up the cash to buy an L series lens from canon (17-40) so im really really happy about that. And just like dmuniz said, you can carry your lenses on from camera body to camera body (of the same brand of course). I dont know what Nikon's equalivalent of the canon L series lenses would be (by that i mean that im not sure what line of lenses is nikons best) but find out and start saving for one. They are not only sharp as ever, but these top notch lenses are also pretty durable.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
let me ask this question though, why didnt companies like Pentax, Minolta, Fuji, and other dslr manufacturers take off like Canon and Nikon did? I mean Pentax has been around forever, and fuji makes the best sensors........so why is it always Canon this or Nikon that?
For a very long time, when it came to lenses, it was Nikon, Nikon, Nikon in the 35mm format. The people who do this for a living or a serious hobby know it's all about the lenses. And Nikon was EXPENSIVE.

In the last 7-10 years, Canon has caught Nikon in terms of CONSISTENT lens quality, and they have the features to compete. Many times the last few years, Canon has actually passed Nikon in terms of features, etc. Image stabilization and full-frame digital sensors are two things that come to mind.

Pentax, Minolta et al just seem to be behind the curve on technologt and consistent lens quality / features.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
^^^ yea, usually the kit lenses arent too special, but on most flagship cameras the supplied lens is really good. For canon I know that the "L" series lenses are the best Canon offers and that cameras like the 1d and the 5d come with an L series lens, its just up to you to decide what focal range best suites you from that point on. I personally just sold the lens that came with my camera and finally worked up the cash to buy an L series lens from canon (17-40) so im really really happy about that. And just like dmuniz said, you can carry your lenses on from camera body to camera body (of the same brand of course). I dont know what Nikon's equalivalent of the canon L series lenses would be (by that i mean that im not sure what line of lenses is nikons best) but find out and start saving for one. They are not only sharp as ever, but these top notch lenses are also pretty durable.
Nikon's top line lenses are denoted with the AF-S designation. Nikon lenses fall into two basic catagories, AF-S and non AF-S. The AF-S lenses have ultrasonic motors in the lens for AF, traditionally have wide fixed aperatures in the zooms (although not always now), and are generally really friggin' expensive. My 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S set one back $1400 when it was new. It's also regarded as one of the best wide angle zooms they ever made. A similar 18-35mm non-afs with ED glass and aspheryical elements may only cost you a few hundred dollars.

Last edited by TurboFan; 09-19-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #20
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

also, keep in mind that just becuase something is more expensive, it doesnt make it "better." Im sure that theres one of two reasons that nikons are cheaper then canons, and that is that either A) they've managed to run their company more efficiently and have been able to keep their costs down, or B) some how their name isnt considered as synonymous with photography as is Canon (which might be the case for the average un-informed consumer, otherwise Nikon is and has been a dominating force in the photography industry for decades, but then again so is Canon.......)

So we should make a sticky in the photography section thats says "Answers to your DSLR debates, particularly Canon vs Nikon." And the answer would be, "do your research on google, know that both are equally the best names in the camera world, and it comes down to your personal preferance....and thats it."

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #21
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

by doing your research on google i mean: Find out what a sensor is in a digital camera, find out what types are being used and what their pros and cons are, do a little history checking on the companies, and just overall learn what all the settings and features mean and do........otherwise your just blindly chosing. Basically, I want you to able to look at the big specs sheet of a camera and understand what every feature thats being listed means, otherwise you might as well just pick whichever one looks prettier haha, jk. Read articels about different photographic techniques, talk to us on this forum and on other forums, and just use trial and error. The more your into it, the faster you'll learn (and that usually goes with anything)

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #22
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

and don't get hung up on megapixels! It's like judging a computer based on the clock speed alone.

Appreciate 0