BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

03-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #1
jimmec
Private
Rep
Drives: not a bus :D

Price check 08 e92 M3 6MT and advice for first time buyer

Hi all,

First time posting here and first time car buying.

I've been doing a bit of digging for the last few months on the forums trying to figure out what to look out for, but ultimately, I wanted your opinions for a last word before I approach the dealer with an offer.

It's an 08 Space Grey Metallic 6MT e92 with 64k miles on it at a local dealer.
Has tech, premium sound, cold weather pkgs.

They have it listed for $35k.

I'm thinking a fair price for this many miles would be closer to $30k.

The Carfax shows its a 2 owner (first was a 3year lease), with 14 service records. I also did not see the post break-in service for the gearbox oil replacement that I've read is quite important for the 6MTs. I guess these detailed records aren't always in a carfax though?

How risky of a purchase is it for a 7 year old M3 with 64k miles? I know there are after market warranties available, but if the rod bearings goes kaput on me, I don't want all my eggs in the shotty insurance basket. Should I be looking for newer models/lower mileages for the extra peace of mind, given my relative cluelessness with regards to car ownership..

Any advice would be appreciated. =D

Jimmy
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

08 with 64k miles for 35k is a steep...30k is ideal for this car.

Regarding rod bearings issue, I would suggest to do oil analysis and go from there. Rod bearing problems happened to low miles car as well as high miles car. If you can ask dealer for oil sample to do analysis before buying, that would be your best way to figure out in what condition is the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

You're talking about 102,998 KM put on that car! As indicated, $30k or below is more realistic.

Edit: Saw you mentioned it's local, I'll assume the car was imported from the US already.

Last edited by Rewted; 03-20-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
jimmec
Private
Rep

Ahh sorry, I forgot to update my location. I've since moved to the US.

But converting to 100k KM does make it more alarming for me. I can stretch my budget for a newer/lower mileage car but then I've also seen guys on here with 100k miles on their cars. At what point is a M3 considered high mileage? ie. when smalls issues start popping up left and right?

And thanks for the oil analysis tip. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Also does anybody have suggestions for a good BMW mechanic in the Seattle area? Looking for a good place to do PPI.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

If the forums are to be believed then the rod bearings can go at anytime, at any mileage, with any MY, and with or without notice....

Personally I don't think 64k miles is a lot of miles if the car has been taken care of. Honestly, if you are buying used without a warranty then the only thing you can do is look at the service history and do a PPI.

If your budget permits I would suggest getting something with at least one year or so left of warranty left.
      03-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #6
jimmec
Private
Rep

Thanks. I'll keep looking.

Any recommendations for M car mechanics in Seattle area?
Appreciate 0