BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

OP, glad you're fine buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
The rubber on our summer tires is just too hard for grip on roads below 40 degrees.
On the contrary; summer tire rubber is the softest, and that's why they last so little. If road is dry, you probably can't do much better than summer tires, as a recent tire test results showed. But summer tires have limited water evacuation abilities, and basically zero with anything more substantial (slush, snow, etc). I just came back from a 1K-mile trip, where it was a dry 14º in the morning and didn't feel any appreciable reduction in braking and lateral grip with the PS2s. However, rain and snow is forecasted tomorrow when I'm heading back to drop my daughter off, so will take my other car.

That's why I'd have preferred 'ultra high-performance all-season' tires on the M3 (with summers optional, like most other cars), which are just one notch below max summer; they give up just a hair of dry grip, but they're substantially better in water, and have enough grip for snow and such that for folks who don't live in the snow belt, they're plenty adequate for normal winters. Max summer tires are overkill for many of us, who will never track our cars. Much rather have a quieter, more durable tire that can handle mild winters. Those are my next tires; just need to determine which ones. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

once again thanks for the support guys...its nice that even tho we argue and bitch at each other that people always come together to help a fallen brother recover from seeing his baby in a heap....

this is what i could tell was damaged just from looking at it last night:
rear bumper is toast, pass side muffler, pass side rear quarter pannel has a very large dent, front wheels, suspension, steering, brakes, and tires are all fucked. both front fenders are destroyed, the front bumper, the radiator and oil coolers are done for...and of course the headlights were pulverized. and also the hood is really bad.

if they total it im going to get another E92 M3 or a 135i...if they dont then its kinda FTL
      11-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I test drove a 135i and it is an unbelievable amount of fun. I hope they total the car for your sake.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #26
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
once again thanks for the support guys...its nice that even tho we argue and bitch at each other that people always come together to help a fallen brother recover from seeing his baby in a heap....

this is what i could tell was damaged just from looking at it last night:
rear bumper is toast, pass side muffler, pass side rear quarter pannel has a very large dent, front wheels, suspension, steering, brakes, and tires are all fucked. both front fenders are destroyed, the front bumper, the radiator and oil coolers are done for...and of course the headlights were pulverized. and also the hood is really bad.

if they total it im going to get another E92 M3 or a 135i...if they dont then its kinda FTL
I can't imagine them not totaling it. If all of that stuff is damaged it's at least $25k to repair, plus I would bet there's some frame damage if it's that bad. Not trying to get you down, just saying that it sounds like you have better odds of getting a new car at this point.
      11-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #27
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
robo

sorry 2 hear what happened....good luck w/feeling better...do not be so hard on urself...the M is very fickle and requires extra attention when its under 40 outside

btw, how cold was it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened. Same thing almost happened to me 2 days ago. Basically same as you, cold, wet and slippery conditions.

Best of luck man
      11-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #29
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
I hit a slippery patch on the way home tonight, lost control and spun and hit the guard rail. The front and rear end r toast. It was too dark to tell the true extent of the damage. It was very wet and pretty damn cold. Please don't drive on ur summer tires in very cold damp weather. I put too much trust in them and now my baby is in shambles :*(
Black ice, nothing will save you except studs. At least you are ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 03:27 AM   #30
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
OP, glad you're fine buddy.

On the contrary; summer tire rubber is the softest, and that's why they last so little. If road is dry, you probably can't do much better than summer tires, as a recent tire test results showed. But summer tires have limited water evacuation abilities, and basically zero with anything more substantial (slush, snow, etc). I just came back from a 1K-mile trip, where it was a dry 14º in the morning and didn't feel any appreciable reduction in braking and lateral grip with the PS2s. However, rain and snow is forecasted tomorrow when I'm heading back to drop my daughter off, so will take my other car.

That's why I'd have preferred 'ultra high-performance all-season' tires on the M3 (with summers optional, like most other cars), which are just one notch below max summer; they give up just a hair of dry grip, but they're substantially better in water, and have enough grip for snow and such that for folks who don't live in the snow belt, they're plenty adequate for normal winters. Max summer tires are overkill for many of us, who will never track our cars. Much rather have a quieter, more durable tire that can handle mild winters. Those are my next tires; just need to determine which ones. Take care.
Didn't want to go off topic but your statements about summer tires are completely wrong.

Summer tires in summer temperature have just the right level of softness for max grip. They lose their performance (become harder) when temperature drops below 45F (7C). When temperature drops below 32F (0C), summer tires become as hard as rock. Combined with snow and the design of summer tire tread, accidents are just waiting to happen.

Winter tire has the compound that lets the tire stay soft in very low temperature, so they retain their grip. They also have tread designed for grip on snow and better water evacuation. This is why winter tires perform in winter. Winter tires will become too soft in summer temperatures for max grip.

All season tires does not perform up to the standards of summer tires during summer and are just as bad as summers tires during winter where it meets freezing temperatures and snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 03:38 AM   #31
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Glad that you are OK, I'm sure the car will be back to its original shape.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #32
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glad that you walked out of it. Looks like a bad one judging by the damage.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #33
kwhm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
Didn't want to go off topic but your statements about summer tires are completely wrong.

Summer tires in summer temperature have just the right level of softness for max grip. They lose their performance (become harder) when temperature drops below 45F (7C). When temperature drops below 32F (0C), summer tires become as hard as rock. Combined with snow and the design of summer tire tread, accidents are just waiting to happen.

Winter tire has the compound that lets the tire stay soft in very low temperature, so they retain their grip. They also have tread designed for grip on snow and better water evacuation. This is why winter tires perform in winter. Winter tires will become too soft in summer temperatures for max grip.

All season tires does not perform up to the standards of summer tires during summer and are just as bad as summers tires during winter where it meets freezing temperatures and snow.
What he said...

This is very important.
Thank you for clearing that up!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Wow, sorry to hear that man. The PS2s turn into hockey pucks as soon as the temp hits about 4 degree Celsius and is a major hazard to drive on them.
      11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #35
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

just goes to show how much of us can't really handle the capabilities of these cars thinking we drive M3s we are god among men on the road. summer tires or not i'll say it time and time again 95% of this forum thinking they can drive, and 99% cant. we need to respect the road and other drivers, stay safe out there guys
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the same experience yesterday. It snowed the day before but the weather looked liked it cleared up. Went to Golf town. It took me 45 mins to get out of the parking lot because every exit was on an inclination, I looked like a retard. I was driving on the stock 19 inch rims w/ the summer tires..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #37
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I can't imagine them not totaling it. If all of that stuff is damaged it's at least $25k to repair, plus I would bet there's some frame damage if it's that bad. Not trying to get you down, just saying that it sounds like you have better odds of getting a new car at this point.
i kind of hope they end up totaling it. i mean...i love my car, but i dont want it back if its never going to be the same again. its a lease so i dont really know how that works. also what do i do about my mods and such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
robo

sorry 2 hear what happened....good luck w/feeling better...do not be so hard on urself...the M is very fickle and requires extra attention when its under 40 outside

btw, how cold was it?
thanks, i still feel like a shit head, lol...its gunna take awhile for me to get over it :P its was pretty cold, i dont remember how exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2381 View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that this happened. Same thing almost happened to me 2 days ago. Basically same as you, cold, wet and slippery conditions.

Best of luck man
thanks, and good luck to u as well
      11-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #38
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
That's a real bummer. I was a little nervous on Friday when I got caught in a snowstorm. I was sitting in the right lane getting passed by everything. Luckily there wasn't any accumulation, but I didn't want to risk it on the PS2's.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #39
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

the conditions were certainly deceiving...it just looked wet out...i didnt think it was cold enough to cause this...but obviously i was wrong.
      11-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #40
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
I had the same experience yesterday. It snowed the day before but the weather looked liked it cleared up. Went to Golf town. It took me 45 mins to get out of the parking lot because every exit was on an inclination, I looked like a retard. I was driving on the stock 19 inch rims w/ the summer tires..
What do you mean "looked like a retard"?
      11-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #41
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

sorry to hear that, but you didnt mention how it happened (other than hitting a slippery patch).

Were you just driving along, or was it in a turn?

Was traction control on or off?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
sorry to hear that, but you didnt mention how it happened (other than hitting a slippery patch).

Were you just driving along, or was it in a turn?

Was traction control on or off?
it was in a slight turn...the traction was on
      11-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #43
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Sorry to hear that. it sounds though the car is not totaled and you're fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #44
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Bummer, if it cheers you are you aren't the only one. I have been on bmw/m3/performance car forums over a decade and every year around this time someone would unintentional total their vehicle because the rear came around behind them.

Same story every time, accusation flies, but in the end it doesn't matter. What matters is no one was hurt in the process. These cars can be a handful at winter. Thank god for california weather.
Appreciate 0