BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
ILLCOMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT2

Power steering? (bonus track video!)

I'm back home at my parent's place for the holiday's which means I have to diagnose and fix any computer or other technology issues that have occurred in the past few months. I assume a few of you share the same fate when you travel home.

The issue this trip is with an Audi A6 4.2L V8. (BTW, I love driving this car. It's nowhere near as tight as my M, but it's still a great cruiser.)

I've embedded a video in which I capture the issue. It's an odd noise that is greatly exacerbated when the steering wheel is turned. I don't know what I'm talking about, but I imagine this has something to do with the power steering pump?

Before I call Audi, please let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR0F4plWKck

As a thank you've I've also embedded a video of me running my M at the track. I love the high pitched scream of the engine when it's running at 8000rpm! Bliss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjHxV-a-1Y
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Steering pump should't whine like that. Did you check the fluid level? If okay, it's time to get a new pump before it craps out on your folks. Let dealer handle that. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
spoonf20c
let me see you become a ///Monster
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F80

does it only make the noise when the car is still cold? if the sound goes away after its warmed up the system may have some air or foamed fluid in it. like elp_jc said i would start with checking the fluid level, make sure to check the level after the car has sat and cooled for a while.
Appreciate 0