BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
yusammyyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw M3 coupe

Ap racing brake kit vibration after release brake.

I installed Ap racing brake kit before track day, it works perfectly on the track, but I found noise problem after track.

I totally understand and accept the brake pad will squeal when I slightly brake it under low speed , but now the problem is , after I make complete stop, release brake and start moving, I can feel the front pad still rub the roter make the entire car under high frequency vibration, the vibration feels exactly like the noises when you push a table on a concrete surface.

Usually the vibration will goes away when the speed is over 10 mph (keep wheel straight) , and will come out when I make turns around 25-30 mph after brake(on the ramp to exit freeway or make turns at intersection) .

Any one has experience on this?? is this normal??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
1997 BMW 323i  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [8.00]
Did you install the anti-rattle clips at all or properly?
.: 1994 E36 M3 3.0 - 19" BBS LM Reps, Bilsteins :.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

OP,

I had this issue with my AP BBK and I had to order the spring-kit mentioned and it helped keep the pads back and reduce that rubbing/growning sound your talking about at low speed (3~5mph). If your BBK didn't come with it you'll have to order it. It helped the problem. Its nothing bad or damaging what you feel but it can be a bit bothersom.

Good luck and let us know what you resolve with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Also had this on my AP BBK and was recently solved by AP. Just put the Pad Retraction Rubor kit on the back of the brake pads and the noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizmain View Post
Also had this on my AP BBK and was recently solved by AP. Just put the Pad Retraction Rubor kit on the back of the brake pads and the noise is gone!
I'm curious about the Pad Retraction kit you're talking about. Where did you get it from? I can't seem to find any info on it. Can you post a link?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I'm curious about the Pad Retraction kit you're talking about. Where did you get it from? I can't seem to find any info on it. Can you post a link?
Call Stillen, they are the distributors for AP in North America. They use to give it out for free when many of us purchased our kits.
      02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
That's the problem, there is hardly any info online... Just ask your AP dealer to order them, normally they come free with installation instructions. I also find it very pity and poor service from AP that they just don't send all these options like anti-squeal shims and spring as standard with their pricy BBK... I've been searcing for weeks on the internet untill I got mad and contacted AP directly, then it was fixed 2 days later...

It's not sure that they will survive hot track temperatures, i'll have to found out asap...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's the problem, there is hardly any info online... Just ask your AP dealer to order them, normally they come free with installation instructions. I also find it very pity and poor service from AP that they just don't send all these options like anti-squeal shims and spring as standard with their pricy BBK... I've been searcing for weeks on the internet untill I got mad and contacted AP directly, then it was fixed 2 days later...

It's not sure that they will survive hot track temperatures, i'll have to found out asap...
You should remove them for track events.
      02-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
You should remove them for track events.
You have tested them and they didnt survive? I have another set of DS1.11 pads and planned to use them on track without the shims...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You have tested them and they didnt survive? I have another set of DS1.11 pads and planned to use them on track without the shims...
AP sent me the kit, but I never installed it.
      02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

I've been working with Stilen on my AP vibration issue which we think is more of a pad transfer material issue but when I had mentioned the same issue as the OP has had with slow speed (3~5mph) pad to disc contact rubbing vibration issue, they sent me the spring/rod kit that and I think it helped. Never mentioned the rubber pad behined the brake pads.

Right now I have Hawk race pads on to do some disc face cleaning and do not have the spring/rod kit installed and again I'm feeling that same vibration as the OP mentioned at very slow speed.

Soon once I repaint my calipers and change out the piston seals with the street seal kit Stilen sent me, I'll install that spring kit again and see if vibrations are all gone...I'm praying.

Have people been experiancing more vibration issue's with AP BBK's compared to StopTeck's and Brembo or is this a universal issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
JHodgman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Various

AP Racing

My name is Jim Hodgman, the Brake Divsion Manager for STILLEN. We are the commercial and technical partner for AP Racing's High Performance Road Car Program here in North America.

Please contact me regarding this issue as it could be a number of things that cuase this vibration/noise. I have direct contact with AP engineers and have worked with a few customers in resolving or attempting to resolve NVH issues.

You can contact me at jhodgman@stillen.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusammyyu View Post
I installed Ap racing brake kit before track day, it works perfectly on the track, but I found noise problem after track.

I totally understand and accept the brake pad will squeal when I slightly brake it under low speed , but now the problem is , after I make complete stop, release brake and start moving, I can feel the front pad still rub the roter make the entire car under high frequency vibration, the vibration feels exactly like the noises when you push a table on a concrete surface.

Usually the vibration will goes away when the speed is over 10 mph (keep wheel straight) , and will come out when I make turns around 25-30 mph after brake(on the ramp to exit freeway or make turns at intersection) .

Any one has experience on this?? is this normal??
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHodgman View Post
My name is Jim Hodgman, the Brake Divsion Manager for STILLEN. We are the commercial and technical partner for AP Racing's High Performance Road Car Program here in North America.

Please contact me regarding this issue as it could be a number of things that cuase this vibration/noise. I have direct contact with AP engineers and have worked with a few customers in resolving or attempting to resolve NVH issues.

You can contact me at jhodgman@stillen.com
OP,

Work with Jim at Stilen on your issue. They have been very accommodating and full of knowledge and willing to get to the bottom of BBK issues. Through trial and error, Jim has been very helpfull in resolving my issue at hand. Still got a bit more tests to run but I think we're getting to the root cause of my problem. Hopefully it'll be the same with your BBK too which sounds very much the same.

Rob
Appreciate 0