BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

06-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Probably lost a wheel weight or two. Check the fronts and see if any are missing. Wheel barrels get hot and the adhesive melts, that's why track regulars tape the weights down.

At the risk of drawing the ire of the non-track contingent, I am of the opinion after driving the M3 in about every possible road environment, that it cannot be fully appreciated unless also taken out on track. Glad you had a blast.
Both statements are dead on. There's no "opinion" about the latter at all; that's a simple fact. The question of whether the M3 is worth its total cost of ownership for non-track people is open to opinion, but there's no arguing that people who don't visit the track will never truly understand how great their car is or how much of what they're paying to own an M3 is being wasted by them not going. The only people I've seen who disagree with that are those who have never been to the track, so I fail to see how they can consider their opinion informed.

Quote:
Very unlikely. Rotors the quality of OE BMW or equivalent basically don't warp. If getting brake feedback, pad deposits are the cause. Deposits don't create steering wheel feedback in my experience.
Spot on. StopTech pads shouldn't leave nasty pad deposits anyway. I switched away from OEM pads after they DID cause pad deposit problems that didn't go away even after 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Where do you get this insurance?
Lockton Motorsports and OnTrack Insurance are probably your best bets. Or if you can find the increasingly rare regular insurance provider that covers HPDEs (but not racing or open track days), you can skip that. Amica Mutual at least in Texas still does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
I have access to as many FREE track days as I want so I might have to start track modifying my car now. Gosh it was so much fun.
Actually if you've already got StopTech pads (and hopefully better brake fluid to go with), I would encourage you to hold off on mods for the most part until you pick up more experience. There's plenty more your car can give you in stock form. I actually wrote a two-piece article for my local BMW CCA chapter newsletter intended for people considering or just starting track events. It covers my journey over the last few years tracking the car, what I've learned, what mods I did at what point, in what order, and why, etc. I've attached them to this post if you're interested.

Also, get familiar with the Track subforum on here. It's got a good core of contributors and contains lots of great information to help you with your new addiction.

Attachment 999723
Attachment 999724

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-09-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Both statements are dead on. There's no "opinion" about the latter at all; that's a simple fact. The question of whether the M3 is worth its total cost of ownership for non-track people is open to opinion, but there's no arguing that people who don't visit the track will never truly understand how great their car is or how much of what they're paying to own an M3 is being wasted by them not going. The only people I've seen who disagree with that are those who have never been to the track, so I fail to see how they can consider their opinion informed.
I was trying to be diplomatic, but you said it. Car is such a joy on track I'm not sure I'd be interested in owning it if I no longer participated in that activity. Also have little interest in abstinent supermodels.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

So I had my wheels road forced and weights added back to even. My front right rim is slightly bent but the road force counteracted where the bend is. Now there is a ever so slight vibration in the wheel at 75+ barely noticeable but i notice it over long drives. Could I have really warped the rotors that easily? It was 1 track day.
      07-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #26
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
So I had my wheels road forced and weights added back to even. My front right rim is slightly bent but the road force counteracted where the bend is. Now there is a ever so slight vibration in the wheel at 75+ barely noticeable but i notice it over long drives. Could I have really warped the rotors that easily? It was 1 track day.
Highly unlikely that you warped a rotor. If the vibration does not occur under braking, more than likely it's a wheel balance or tire issue.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #27
Adobong_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP MW; 2008 545; X5d

The E92 M3 makes a driver inexplicably happy even if they loose control of the car on the track! Proof below:

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #28
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Highly unlikely that you warped a rotor. If the vibration does not occur under braking, more than likely it's a wheel balance or tire issue.
my driver steering wheel is leaning a little to the right, how do i fix this?

or are you referring to my rims?
      07-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #29
krx927
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Very unlikely. Rotors the quality of OE BMW or equivalent basically don't warp. If getting brake feedback, pad deposits are the cause. Deposits don't create steering wheel feedback in my experience.

Like FormulaMMM wrote: vibrations under braking after track day ARE DEFINITELY pad deposits. No way rotors are warped. I had this. It took me ages (3000 miles) to clean the rotors and fix the issue.

Quote:
Vibrations when you are driving and not applying the brakes are most probably wheel related. I had big issues also with this. Go to somebody that has Hunter force balancing machine. It fixed vibrations for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #30
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
Like FormulaMMM wrote: vibrations under braking after track day ARE DEFINITELY pad deposits. No way rotors are warped. I had this. It took me ages (3000 miles) to clean the rotors and fix the issue.
Just grab some 900/1000 grit sandpaper, remove the wheels, pour some water on rotors and sand it down then spray brake cleaners on it

Re-bed the pads again.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #31
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man
Quote:
my driver steering wheel is leaning a little to the right, how do i fix this?

or are you referring to my rims?
I am guessing that bent wheel didn't totally balance out. Maybe have it straightened and rebalanced. Also, if your steering wheel is off the car is probably out of alignment. Were you riding the curbs?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobong_M View Post
The E92 M3 makes a driver inexplicably happy even if they loose control of the car on the track! Proof below:

Something is wrong with that guy in the head. That is absolutely not my reaction if my M3 is heading towards a tire wall.

Seen so many videos of people crashing there, scary. I'd love to drive VIR though.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Vibrations when you are driving and not applying the brakes are most probably wheel related. I had big issues also with this. Go to somebody that has Hunter force balancing machine. It fixed vibrations for me.
3000 miles? Wow. I've definitely got some minor vibrations after my first track day, but only when the brakes are being used hard. Unfortunately, I don't even think I've put 1000 miles on the car since the last track day, which was in April.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Yeah, this is all I meant. Lots of guys on here will tell you that you need to do all this stuff (such as modifying your suspension, lose weight, etc) before you go to the track, but at a bare minimum most guys say that you need to upgrade pads. I am totally jealous that you have access to as many free track days as you want!
You don't really need to upgrade your pads your first time out - just make sure they're 75-80% when you start, but you should upgrade your brake fluid (probably the #1 point of failure), check your wheel bearings, a recent oil change, top off all your fluids and take a really close look at your tires (I've seen guys pick-up nails on the way to the track and run with them).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #35
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Way OT, but what did this guy do wrong? I haven't driven at VIR, but it looks like he loaded up the right and hit the curbing, then when he cranked the wheel left maybe he lifted? Or did unloading so abruptly cause the spin? He sure did go for a ride!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #36
badbeef
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 pedals

Quote:
Is that an E39 M5 on the straight at Gingerman in your signature?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #37
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
I am guessing that bent wheel didn't totally balance out. Maybe have it straightened and rebalanced. Also, if your steering wheel is off the car is probably out of alignment. Were you riding the curbs?
Lol yes I was driving it hard. I also replaced the rears about 2 weeks ago. I have an appointment in 30 mins for an alignment. Ill see how it feels after
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #38
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:

I would say he lifted, never lift going up the esses.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #39
badbeef
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
If you watch in the rear view around :28, you can see the Camaro's weight transfer. It looks like the slight downhill + the curve put load on the driver's side. If he lifted the weight would go to the front causing the front to bite and the back to lose some traction.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #40
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Way OT, but what did this guy do wrong? I haven't driven at VIR, but it looks like he loaded up the right and hit the curbing, then when he cranked the wheel left maybe he lifted? Or did unloading so abruptly cause the spin? He sure did go for a ride!
It's scary b/c it didn't take much. I'm still trying to figure it out too. Perhaps he cut the wheel too much to the left (at 14 seconds) causing the rear to swing around.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #41
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
It's scary b/c it didn't take much. I'm still trying to figure it out too. Perhaps he cut the wheel too much to the left (at 14 seconds) causing the rear to swing around.
I agree, it happened quick. Scary how quickly it can go wrong out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #42
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
Was the track a little damp? It looks as though he may have lost a little control over the rumble strips - maybe he straightened out the wheel when a tire was off the ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you run into it again, take to a shop with a brake lathe and have them "cut" the rotors. Cheap & quick fix, rotors as good as new.

Edit: I should say cheap and quick if you have the rotors off the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeef View Post
Is that an E39 M5 on the straight at Gingerman in your signature?
Me in my beloved E39 M5 on the front straight at Gingerman. Nice spot dude!

Last edited by FormulaMMM; 07-10-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #44
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Lol yes I was driving it hard. I also replaced the rears about 2 weeks ago. I have an appointment in 30 mins for an alignment. Ill see how it feels after
you can go 10,000 times harder than your first track day ever.

and we need vids or you are just lying to us.
Appreciate 0