BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
lttletimmy
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking for E92 M3

A minor measurement request

Hey everyone. I'm planning to buy an E92 M3 soon, but I have a bit of a dilemma. My garage space is somewhat limited and I'm actually a bit nervous about whether or not I'll be able to get in and out of the car easily, since the E92 has such large doors.

Could some owners do me a favor and measure the length of both the E90 and E92 doors, and also measure how far they stick out when opened to a somewhat reasonable gap for a small person like me (5' 3") to squeeze out of?

I love the looks and CF roof of the E92 and it would be my preference, but if I must I may have to go with the E90. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

My doors are approximately 54" wide at the widest horizontal point. Fully opened, the door protrudes out from the side of the car approximately 44" and opened to the first detent is approximately 24", which I think would be as small an opening you could get in and out from.

However, what I think may be the smallest opening and what you think is the smallest opening, may be two entirely different measurements. If you live fairly close to a dealer, I would suggest you take an E92, either M or regular 3 series, for a test drive and and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Got a tight garage myself at the moment...just park to right side, do a bit of contorsionism (new word!) to get in and out and hung a soundproofing foam square on the wall to protect the door.
      03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
lttletimmy
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking for E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss
My doors are approximately 54" wide at the widest horizontal point. Fully opened, the door protrudes out from the side of the car approximately 44" and opened to the first detent is approximately 24", which I think would be as small an opening you could get in and out from.

However, what I think may be the smallest opening and what you think is the smallest opening, may be two entirely different measurements. If you live fairly close to a dealer, I would suggest you take an E92, either M or regular 3 series, for a test drive and and see for yourself.
Thanks for the help! I plan to see if I can do a test fit once I get a chance, but my work hours make it tricky to get to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
BartM3
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

It also helps to drop the window when getting out in a tight space. You can then close the door and press the key fob to close the window (not sure if comfort access is required for this to work).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
rsimm750
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 SG 6MT

I also have a small garage. It is 22'2" by 11'3" and I am able to get in and out with the door all the way open. Hope this helps. Oh, and yes the battery tender is for my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimm750 View Post
I also have a small garage. It is 22'2" by 11'3" and I am able to get in and out with the door all the way open. Hope this helps. Oh, and yes the battery tender is for my car.
Damn, that's to close to comfort. Have you scratched it before?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttletimmy View Post
Hey everyone. I'm planning to buy an E92 M3 soon, but I have a bit of a dilemma. My garage space is somewhat limited and I'm actually a bit nervous about whether or not I'll be able to get in and out of the car easily, since the E92 has such large doors.

Could some owners do me a favor and measure the length of both the E90 and E92 doors, and also measure how far they stick out when opened to a somewhat reasonable gap for a small person like me (5' 3") to squeeze out of?

I love the looks and CF roof of the E92 and it would be my preference, but if I must I may have to go with the E90. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
If you think it is a little tight, get a foam and put it against the wall so just incase if you were to hit the wall the foam would protect the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
rsimm750
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 SG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
Damn, that's to close to comfort. Have you scratched it before?
Nope, no scratches thanks to the PDC and a little patience. Also for the OP I forgot to mention that I have an E90.
Appreciate 0