BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #45
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
With engine freeze since 2007, the emphasis on Formula 1 diverted more into aerodynamics in 2007, 2008. Then diffuser since 2009~2011. And 2012 are the tires, and how to make the tire works for you the longer shall win. Which also factor in how well the drivers are able to manage different tires in different tracks, and now that skill set is more important than before.

Overall engine performance in recent F1 is less a differentiater, its more about aerodynamics, suspension and how will these make tires work the best.
      04-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #46
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Great race! Good on Force India getting up in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #47
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Another 3 week wait... what to do to pass the time...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #48
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
the race was awesome, ton of action but sucked for the two ferraris
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Hopefully this isn't another season where Red Bull just runs away with everything. To me the difference maker is Adrian Newey. His cars remain consistently superior. If the Constructor's points stay tight I would certainly expect Weber to leave after this season. Replacing him with Raikkonen would make Red Bull very dominant - at least until Vettel finds out that Raikonen doesn't know what a second fiddle is.
      04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #50
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack
Hopefully this isn't another season where Red Bull just runs away with everything. To me the difference maker is Adrian Newey. His cars remain consistently superior. If the Constructor's points stay tight I would certainly expect Weber to leave after this season. Replacing him with Raikkonen would make Red Bull very dominant - at least until Vettel finds out that Raikonen doesn't know what a second fiddle is.
Newey might make the car function, but this last win was all about SV. It was HIS key overtakes at the beginning of the race that allowed Newey's genius to shine through.
Credit where credit is due IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #51
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Newey might make the car function, but this last win was all about SV. It was HIS key overtakes at the beginning of the race that allowed Newey's genius to shine through.
Concur. Seems to less chat about him not being able to overtake.

Bahrain was one of the most exciting races to watch. Letting Button and Perez race makes for good entertainment, but I'm sure they're crapping themselves at McLaren.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #52
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
its a chicken and egg type argument, cause would have SV made that type of pass if his car wasnt so superior?

its just a great combination of talents, like Jordan w/ Phil Jackson
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #53
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Lotus is looking strong...

Would just take a couple slips by RB or Seb to let Kimi take the points lead.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Lotus is looking strong...

Would just take a couple slips by RB or Seb to let Kimi take the points lead.
Kind of wonder if they can keep up with the development. I feel like it's only a matter of time before Ferrari retakes 2nd place in the mfg standings.

So much for Mercedes being all that
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #55
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Kind of wonder if they can keep up with the development. I feel like it's only a matter of time before Ferrari retakes 2nd place in the mfg standings.

So much for Mercedes being all that
Really? After 1 race in extreme heat, which is Merc's known Achilles' heel, you say that? A bit hasty I think.

Merc will be back on the podium again this year.
      04-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #56
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Where was all the "Ferrari is going to run away with the championship" talk after Shanghai? The exact same thing happened there, why so quickly to overreact with Red Bull wins a race in similar fashion?

Clearly Red Bull's competitive advantage is much less this year. Take away dumb decisions and bad luck and Ferrari could be leading the constructors. That is also what makes RB so good is that they usually don't make dumb decisions, pitting Seb early in Malaysia was a rare one.

I think the only car that had a chance of challenging Seb in Bahrain was Alonso, but we'll never know how it would have played out.

Everything is changing next year anyways, who knows maybe McLaren gives up on this year and develops the best car for the next 5 years. I haven't seen it specifically stated but aren't there going to be major redesigns of the entire car next year to fit around the new engine? That is what the suggestion is in what I have heard and read.
      04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #57
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
So did Newey car let SV shine? or SV overtake able newey's car perform in clean air?
Who knows the real answer, but we all know that SV + RB series is constantly a winning car and serious championship contender. Since 2009.

But I don't think we will see SV and RBR run away with the championship like 2011.
We should see Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus breathing down RB's neck and keep them honest throughout the season.
      04-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #58
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
So did Newey car let SV shine? or SV overtake able newey's car perform in clean air?
Who knows the real answer, but we all know that SV + RB series is constantly a winning car and serious championship contender. Since 2009.

But I don't think we will see SV and RBR run away with the championship like 2011.
We should see Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus breathing down RB's neck and keep them honest throughout the season.
Definitely.

About RB, clearly RB has a great car, Vettel is a great driver and RB strategy and execution are excellent. You put all of those together and you get 3 straight double-championships.

2 cases of all of these not being in sync were visible last season alone. McLaren had the best car but their strategy and execution let them down. Ferrari had a poor car but Alonso was the best driver. And, that 'number 2' driver makes a bit of a difference in the constructors as well.

And after we talk about all of these things, lady luck plays her part at the end of the day. Does Alonso win the Driver's if he's not taken out by Grosjean? We'll never know and that is what makes life special.