BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #45
Blue0013
Let's go to the track!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Sick Car

I was deployed to Iraq, (but stationed in Germany at the time) in June 07 for 15 months. I can home for R & R for 2 weeks that Dec. What was suppose to be a 3 hour road trip with the wife and kids to the Mountains, turned into a bumper to bumper traffic jam of just pure slow/stop and go moving traffic in a snow storm at night.
I just remember finally getting into town where the ski resort was and this (not knowing what it was at the time) completely dirty AW M3 E92 passed me going in the other direction. Even though it was just nasty and dirty from the weather conditions, it caught my eye. I pulled up to the next light and turned around to catch up to it. My wife asked me, "where are you going?" "I have to go and see this car!" I catch up to it at the next light and was done for. I had to have one!
So needless to say the very first thing me and the family did on vacation, was stop by the local BMW dealer. Of course the US version wasn't released yet. The SA didn't have any info on pricing, or options. Just an idea of when it was going to be released. So I left my email info. Several months later in mid march time frame she sent me an email with the option package and 2-3 days later I received the pricing. I called the wife from Iraq told her I still wanted one, and she said go for it.
After a couple of months of sitting on it, and a lot of time viewing the M3 post. I looked up the General Manager for US Military Sales and ordered the car online thru email on my birthday that June. My wife did all the rest of the leg work, registration and final pick on the interior color . The car got dropped of at the dealer a week before I got back home and was sitting there on the show room floor just waiting on me to get back.
      11-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #46
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Realized I was spending a lot on average per month on my E46 M3 including parts/maintenance upgrades, etc. So I sold that, did an owner's choice finance on a new M3 for 4 years at the same price per month. I plan on selling before having to pay my balloon and only drive about 5,000km per year. Should work out well.

My SO has given up on criticism and just accepts it. My family thinks I'm an idiot for spending so much on "getting from point A to point B" and my friends think I must be rich (despite decked out F150s costing more - which are everywhere in this city). Bottom line; I just ignore them.
      11-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #47
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
2016? Anyone up for the VP job?

I wish someone could explain to me the paradigm of being the breadwinner in the household and then asking permission or needing perseverance to buy something???
Well the best I can do to explain it is as follows; It is important to begin with to select the right partner and secondly to come to some sort of an arrangement before engaging in a permanent relationship. As for breadwinner, well times do change and even if the partner (in this case the wife) is mainly occupied with the daily household shores it must be seen as equal whatever the breadwinner (in this case the hubby) brings home.

There is nothing like a great partnership, for when one gets old and grey, believe me you don't want to be alone you need some company. Any children the marriage might have produced are grown up and have there own lives to live at that point in time.

So while some of the things written in your attachment might be fun in our younger years they surely not provide comfort, memories or company in our later years ... Bottom line we all make our own bed as the saying goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylin032 View Post
Went to court and finalized my divorce first thing in the morning.
Went to work.
Finished work at 5 and went to BMW dealer.
I need that one.

KP
Very good plan of attack swift and to the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
We agreed to have a 90/10 relationship. It's just that who's the 90 and who's the 10 flips back and forth.

This my friend can be a lot of fun too, I have quite a few friends that live under this kind of relationship.

Congrats.
and I thank you for that ... it have been hard and great years let me say I've been blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keisakura View Post
at that time, i was deciding about the rs5 and the m3. because there was that heavy rumor that the rs5 was going to make it here in the us in the summer of 2011. but after seeing it in action in europe, i decided to get an m3. but i digress.

My family and i looked at pictures and videos of the two cars and almost unanimously agreed on the m3. and after i came back from london, I went straight to the dealer with my family and ordered it in 20 mins. Took delievery on the 29th of july. and i'm glad i went with the m3.

so to answer your question, the latter
It is nice to make it a family decision real nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
I always wanted one so I saved my money for a while.
My wife was on board the whole time and her only condition; "whatever you get, it needs to have 4 doors". I was ok with it as I was going for an E90 anyways.
Somehow 4 doors are important to a female, they like to have easy access to the back I guess to hide all there stuff like in there purse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue0013 View Post
I was deployed to Iraq, (but stationed in Germany at the time) in June 07 for 15 months. I can home for R & R for 2 weeks that Dec. What was suppose to be a 3 hour road trip with the wife and kids to the Mountains, turned into a bumper to bumper traffic jam of just pure slow/stop and go moving traffic in a snow storm at night.
I just remember finally getting into town where the ski resort was and this (not knowing what it was at the time) completely dirty AW M3 E92 passed me going in the other direction. Even though it was just nasty and dirty from the weather conditions, it caught my eye. I pulled up to the next light and turned around to catch up to it. My wife asked me, "where are you going?" "I have to go and see this car!" I catch up to it at the next light and was done for. I had to have one!
So needless to say the very first thing me and the family did on vacation, was stop by the local BMW dealer. Of course the US version wasn't released yet. The SA didn't have any info on pricing, or options. Just an idea of when it was going to be released. So I left my email info. Several months later in mid march time frame she sent me an email with the option package and 2-3 days later I received the pricing. I called the wife from Iraq told her I still wanted one, and she said go for it.
After a couple of months of sitting on it, and a lot of time viewing the M3 post. I looked up the General Manager for US Military Sales and ordered the car online thru email on my birthday that June. My wife did all the rest of the leg work, registration and final pick on the interior color . The car got dropped of at the dealer a week before I got back home and was sitting there on the show room floor just waiting on me to get back.
Great story and you so deserved what was waiting for you on your return. Thanks for serving and mankind under those conditions in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low J. View Post
I'm lucky to have a wife that doesn't hassle or nag me. She trusts that I don't buy stuff we can't afford so as long as I notify her when I'm buying new stuff she doesn't give me any grief at all. I saw my M3 at the dealer and fell in love so I just called her and told her I would be bringing it home. My wife rules. It also helps that she gets whatever car she wants every 3 years when her leases are up
Nice to have this kind of relationship ... happy trails always

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Realized I was spending a lot on average per month on my E46 M3 including parts/maintenance upgrades, etc. So I sold that, did an owner's choice finance on a new M3 for 4 years at the same price per month. I plan on selling before having to pay my balloon and only drive about 5,000km per year. Should work out well.

My SO has given up on criticism and just accepts it. My family thinks I'm an idiot for spending so much on "getting from point A to point B" and my friends think I must be rich (despite decked out F150s costing more - which are everywhere in this city). Bottom line; I just ignore them.
It was a sound decision (to trade the e46) if it costs too much in maintenance it it time to let go. Ignoring criticism is often the best way ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #48
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

all the above in the OP. However this is my 3rd BMW and I pretty much eat and breath the brand so I didn't need much consult.

However I got mine through Euro Delivery... see sig.
      11-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #49
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

I went from driving a G35 coupe w/ manual to a G37 sedan auto. I figured it was more practical. Boy did I make a mistake. It was such a boring car that after 2yrs, my wife realized this and told me that I should get the car of my dreams. Life is too short she says. So I told her the M was my dream car. However I hate wasting money and feel that I shouldn't switch since I do have a perfectly good car already. To my surprise however, my wife insisted I get the M because she knew deep down its the only car that will make me happy. So I pulled the trigger. No regrets what so ever. In return, I usually let her decide/plan where we travel (she loves to travel).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I mention to my wife that I'm planning on getting a new car.
She looks at me like a deer in headlights, and asks, "Can we afford it?"
All I need to say is an honest, "Yes. Don't worry."

I don't get into what it is. Why it is. Or even what color it's going to be. Then I just go out and buy what I want.

My attitude towards cars (and hobbies for that matter) is that as long as I'm providing for my family well and can spoil myself once in awhile without sacrificing my ability to provide, then it's all good.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #51
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

Great thread.

I'm going through the purchase process now. Trying to decide what I want (Z4 / M3 / Porsche). Anyway, my problem is that there is nothing wrong with my current ride, so "convincing" my better half that I need to spend cash for a new one will be a challenge.

I will let you guys know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #52
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
all the above in the OP. However this is my 3rd BMW and I pretty much eat and breath the brand so I didn't need much consult.

However I got mine through Euro Delivery... see sig.
The BMW is a great car the only one in MHOP that puts one in direct contact with the road. This is my sixth BMW and second M3. I hope to do the same ED for the next one, I like to take a great trip in my own car around the country I was born in including Italy and Spain. If I do I will make a thread with blow by blow description and photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
I went from driving a G35 coupe w/ manual to a G37 sedan auto. I figured it was more practical. Boy did I make a mistake. It was such a boring car that after 2yrs, my wife realized this and told me that I should get the car of my dreams. Life is too short she says. So I told her the M was my dream car. However I hate wasting money and feel that I shouldn't switch since I do have a perfectly good car already. To my surprise however, my wife insisted I get the M because she knew deep down its the only car that will make me happy. So I pulled the trigger. No regrets what so ever. In return, I usually let her decide/plan where we travel (she loves to travel).
You have a understanding wife ... count yourself as a lucky one

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I mention to my wife that I'm planning on getting a new car.
She looks at me like a deer in headlights, and asks, "Can we afford it?"
All I need to say is an honest, "Yes. Don't worry."

I don't get into what it is. Why it is. Or even what color it's going to be. Then I just go out and buy what I want.

My attitude towards cars (and hobbies for that matter) is that as long as I'm providing for my family well and can spoil myself once in awhile without sacrificing my ability to provide, then it's all good.
It's all good puts the matter very nicely with this thought process as you describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
Great thread.

I'm going through the purchase process now. Trying to decide what I want (Z4 / M3 / Porsche). Anyway, my problem is that there is nothing wrong with my current ride, so "convincing" my better half that I need to spend cash for a new one will be a challenge.

I will let you guys know what happens.
This is what the forum is all about for us to help one another Hope you make the right decision. In my case I did not research the Z4 very well and it cost me a few thousand dollars before I realized I made a mistake and should have moved directly from a M3 e46 into another M3 the now e92 I have.

The sDrive Z4 35i I had before was a great car don't get me wrong. I wanted it simply for the experience of a convertible since we had a trip planned to the west coast. The trip was fantastic, only I got bitten by 2 rear cracked wheels (one changed by BMW the other cost me $700- long story I don't want to talk about anymore).

Bottom line, should you decide for a Z4 make sure it does not have OEM Wheels Style 296 (quite a few have cracked - make a search and you find out). Also change the RFT to Non-RFT a lot of Z4 drivers have done this.

Most of all think about what you need the car for ... the better one and more practical one by a long shot is the M3 or if it is a matter of money check out the 1M (there is a forum dedicated here to the fellows with the new 1M)

Good luck.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #53
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
This is what the forum is all about for us to help one another Hope you make the right decision. In my case I did not research the Z4 very well and it cost me a few thousand dollars before I realized I made a mistake and should have moved directly from a M3 e46 into another M3 the now e92 I have.

The sDrive Z4 35i I had before was a great car don't get me wrong. I wanted it simply for the experience of a convertible since we had a trip planned to the west coast. The trip was fantastic, only I got bitten by 2 rear cracked wheels (one changed by BMW the other cost me $700- long story I don't want to talk about anymore).

Bottom line, should you decide for a Z4 make sure it does not have OEM Wheels Style 296 (quite a few have cracked - make a search and you find out). Also change the RFT to Non-RFT a lot of Z4 drivers have done this.

Most of all think about what you need the car for ... the better one and more practical one by a long shot is the M3 or if it is a matter of money check out the 1M (there is a forum dedicated here to the fellows with the new 1M)

Good luck.
Yes, I'm very aware of the 296 issue. I think I have read every post on the Z4 forum. Thanks for the heads up.

I have never had such a hard time making a decision before, this is harder for me than buying my home. The big problem is that all three cars are great, they all have their pro's and cons. I also find that they are not directly comparable. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic here, this thread is not about me not being able to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #54
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Wow, what a great thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #55
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I am only home on weekends, so my wife does most of the daily driving, I use the car for fun!
I owned a beautiful guards red Porsche Cayman S (generation 1), I loved that car (what a driving machine), and my wife even more so (very cool looking, great image). The engine blew - the inherent oiling problem gen 1 Caymans have when pushed hard on a track - and Porsche would not replace it under warranty. So I sold it with the busted engine, wife was distraught!
She left to go overseas (to help her mother with medical issues), and her last words as she left were "now don't go an buy another car while I am away", "absolutely, my Dear!"
48 hours later the M3 was in the garage!
It was between a Cayman R, and this M3 (E92, ZCP, DCT, loaded, AW). I decided to go with the best that BMW has rather than the best Cayman (as long as its slower than a 911). The salesman gave me a killer deal too.
The trick was not letting the cat out of the bag for 2 1/2 months...
This was waiting when she opened the garage door after returning from overseas.
After 3 months this is her view:
"at first a bit disappointed with the cerb appeal vs the Porsche, but now I love it, can't wait to drive it. I love the comfort, the sound system, all the electronics, and the POWER!"

I am loving the car too - only 2 rainy track days so far. Track days at Sebring scheduled this weekend, hopefully it will be dry.
Attached Images

11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #56
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
I always wanted one so I saved my money for a while.
My wife was on board the whole time and her only condition; "whatever you get, it needs to have 4 doors". I was ok with it as I was going for an E90 anyways.
That's what my wife said as well. I started the search in May looking at Porsche 911 C2S Cab. I didn't involve her in my decision making and it led to many "heated" discussions between the two of us. We don't have any kids yet but plan on starting a family soon. Fast forward 5 months later, Which led to the M3 E90 that I picked up last month.

I was looking at used until my CPA said that I can write off much more on a lease then a used car, hence the lease. I plan on buying the car in 3 years when the lease ends.

After driving 500 miles back with the car from So Cal to Nor Cal, my wife says she feels "tricked". She says it's really a sports car with 4 doors. My response
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...

Last edited by dagolfpro; 11-02-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #57
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Same here, except I ordered one.....wife knew I wanted the car since I could drive, so after 17 yrs. she figured I had waited long enough told me to finally go do it. She was so happy for me, as was my entire family because they knew what my cars means to me.

Cheers,
e46e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Monster View Post
My wife knew I wanted either an M3 or M5 since the first time we met. I would alway talk about getting one, research the crap out of which dealers had what models. We were always able to financially afford it, but I could never pull the trigger. We went to dinner one night and afterwards went to the dealer which I knew had exactly what I was looking for. She did the negotiating due to not having any emotional attachment to the car and she's a District attorney for LA county so she knows how to bargain. Drove away an hour later in the new M3.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #58
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
After driving 500 miles back with the car from So Cal to Nor Cal, my wife says she feels "tricked". She says it's really a sports car with 4 doors.
Just think what would have happened if you'd gotten a Panamera
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #59
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Well, I've been lusting after the M3 since the e46 model. Talked the ears off of friends who would listen about the car. When I finally decided it was time, I didn't tell a soul, not my family nor my friends. I ordered and waited.

Took a train down to the dealership that's out of state to pick up the car. Didn't tell my dad that I was bringing a car. Just showed up with it.

My friends were shocked when I showed up with the car. It was such an emotional purchase because a)had the same car for 8+years and b) I had never bought a car on my own, let alone an M3 before.

It's rather sad really. I'd have enjoyed shopping for it with someone else. If I was married, it would have been quite an experience to make the decision together and pick up the car together. I know it's not that simple sometimes(you married guys are probably rolling your eyes at me). I hope to do an ED with my future spouse. I guess I'm ready to take the plunge.

Now that I have THE car. I just need a nice lady to share it with.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.

Last edited by jqsmooth; 11-03-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #60
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

I paid in gum
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #61
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
The BMW is a great car the only one in MHOP that puts one in direct contact with the road. This is my sixth BMW and second M3. I hope to do the same ED for the next one, I like to take a great trip in my own car around the country I was born in including Italy and Spain. If I do I will make a thread with blow by blow description and photos.
thats what i did! check out the link in my sig

best experience EVER
      11-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #62
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

My wife has been saying for years that she wants to take a trip to Europe but she never had a specific destination in mind. Last year a friend of mine bought a Corvette and told me about the option for museum delivery. He didn't do it because it is an option with an extra charge and he was able to negotiate a much better deal on a car off the lot. That reminded me of something I read about years ago about picking up a BMW in Germany.

After a little research I found (to my surprise) that the European Delivery price was far cheaper than the same car off of the lot. That combined with the 2 for 1 plane tickets, the 2 weeks of insurance and registration, and I was sold.

Said to my wife "I found us the ULTIMATE European vacation." I described the places we would be going and the things we would be doing and she was instantly excited. When she asked how we would get to all of these places I said, "we will drive in a brand new, fresh off the assembly line BMW M3."

The M3 has been at the top of my realistic dream car list for a long time but never could get myself to pull the trigger. It's not that we can't afford it, it's just a lot to spend on a car. The discount for ED and the opportunity to drive it around Europe is what sold us. It was the by far the best vacation we've ever been on, we absolutely love the car, and we are already talking about our next ED (summer of 2014).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #63
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My M3 e46 Story short and sweet ...

High time to tell my e46 story

In 2004 I was on the west coast working on a project. Bin there for quiet a while (some 3 months I think it was). Well staying in hotel rooms and working long days does not give a guy a lot of free time except to dream. I started to have breakfast, you guessed it, it was near a major BMW dealership in Vancouver every morning like clockwork. Well one of these fine spring mornings I stepped out to have my morning smoke and like always I admired the certified BMW’s right next door to the restaurants.

Well on this particular morning two not one nice silver 2002 e46 silver exterior and black leather interior were standing side by side in a kind of sexy stance, just calling out to me … come on have a closer look, why don’t you. Having been a daydreamer about a nice M3 for so long I could not resist.

Long story short, this went on for several weeks until I got the nerve after work and I spoke to the salesman. Both cars were lease returns and I ended up getting the one with the lowest mileage (barely 20,000 KM) for a great price. I simply put $10,000- on my visa and had the wife arrange to transfer the rest to a local branch of my bank so they issued a cashiers cheque.

How did I sell the wife, well it was rather funny at the time … I called her and told her “honey I got you a nice present today, it is a glass cube with a rose inside made by a laser and the inscription ~ I love you ~” How nice she replied “Oh btw I added I got myself a present as well” What is it she asked? “A 2 year old low mileage M3” "oh no not another car she said" well I was safe away some 1200 KM and just said "you will love it you see"

The sad ending of this story is the car was sold in 2010 that I should have not done it was one of my countable mistakes of my life.

continued next on post ....

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-03-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #64
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
... and My M3 e92 Story short and sweet

and ... my M3 e92 Story short and sweet

In 2007 we moved from the mid west to eastern Canada for family reasons. Rather then shipping my M3 I drove her some 3,000 plus KM eastward. During that drive I had a lot of time to think and came to the conclusion that one-day I have to part with this fine automobile. Well in 2009 I made a boys trip to Germany to visit the following factories and museums; VW, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. It was a great experience (some day I will post photos). Anyway, I managed to be in München on May 9th 2009 when BMW first showed the sDrive Z4 to the public. There were sDrive Z4’s all over the place at Die Welt and in the building to the left of the main entrance to Die Welt.

Needless to say I fell in love with that little 2 seat sports car and promised myself that I will get it. When I returned to Canada the love at first site (so to speak) had cooled down just a bit. I ended up getting a yearend Z4 30is at a very good price. Once again … I told my wife about this fine car and great deal so off I went … came back home and told her I got it. There was turbulence between us for a few hours then all settled down. My excuse of course was the M3 will be my winter car and the Z4 my summer toy. I drove the Z4 for a few months then things kept falling off that car (the housing around the rear view mirror – the plastic section just above the ashtray). This somewhat poor quality and the memory of that slick retractable hard top on the sDrive Z4 35i with the IV6 twin turbo started me to look for other things. Once orders came down to depart with the M3 since it created a traffic jam in my drive way the M3 had to go in the spring of 2010 ☹

Soon I found a nice very low mileage sDrive Z4 35i and traded the Z4 30is. My excuse at that time was “well the M3 is gone this will be my summer and winter car” I got away with it ☺ We had a great trip to the west coast, I did Route 66, starting in Chicago all the way to Flagstaff then the Hoover Dam, Vegas, the Mohave desert, Napa Vine Valley, and the very scenic Coastal Highway #1 – once I turned inland I experienced some issues that shortened my vacation trip (2 cracked rear wheels) and later made me trade the sDrive Z4 35i back in for my now M3 e92. My solid excuse of course was “well I am retired, worked hard for my money and plan to take a lot of trips, why should I worry about wheels cracking and searching for run flat tires in small town America where my tires will blow or my wheels seam to crack?”

So I am back in my M3 and a happy now camper …

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-03-2011 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: small edit
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #65
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
Yes, I'm very aware of the 296 issue. I think I have read every post on the Z4 forum. Thanks for the heads up.

I have never had such a hard time making a decision before, this is harder for me than buying my home. The big problem is that all three cars are great, they all have their pro's and cons. I also find that they are not directly comparable. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic here, this thread is not about me not being able to make a decision.
Let us know what you find in the end, most important you have to post some pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowest_Frequency View Post
Wow, what a great thread!
Why thank you ... I thought it would bring out some great stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
I am only home on weekends, so my wife does most of the daily driving, I use the car for fun!
I owned a beautiful guards red Porsche Cayman S (generation 1), I loved that car (what a driving machine), and my wife even more so (very cool looking, great image). The engine blew - the inherent oiling problem gen 1 Caymans have when pushed hard on a track - and Porsche would not replace it under warranty. So I sold it with the busted engine, wife was distraught!
She left to go overseas (to help her mother with medical issues), and her last words as she left were "now don't go an buy another car while I am away", "absolutely, my Dear!"
48 hours later the M3 was in the garage!
It was between a Cayman R, and this M3 (E92, ZCP, DCT, loaded, AW). I decided to go with the best that BMW has rather than the best Cayman (as long as its slower than a 911). The salesman gave me a killer deal too.
The trick was not letting the cat out of the bag for 2 1/2 months...
This was waiting when she opened the garage door after returning from overseas.
After 3 months this is her view:
"at first a bit disappointed with the cerb appeal vs the Porsche, but now I love it, can't wait to drive it. I love the comfort, the sound system, all the electronics, and the POWER!"

I am loving the car too - only 2 rainy track days so far. Track days at Sebring scheduled this weekend, hopefully it will be dry.
the M3 kinda grows on you does it now ... great choice in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
That's what my wife said as well. I started the search in May looking at Porsche 911 C2S Cab. I didn't involve her in my decision making and it led to many "heated" discussions between the two of us. We don't have any kids yet but plan on starting a family soon. Fast forward 5 months later, Which led to the M3 E90 that I picked up last month.

I was looking at used until my CPA said that I can write off much more on a lease then a used car, hence the lease. I plan on buying the car in 3 years when the lease ends.

After driving 500 miles back with the car from So Cal to Nor Cal, my wife says she feels "tricked". She says it's really a sports car with 4 doors. My response
In the end you found the right car how great is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Same here, except I ordered one.....wife knew I wanted the car since I could drive, so after 17 yrs. she figured I had waited long enough told me to finally go do it. She was so happy for me, as was my entire family because they knew what my cars means to me.

Cheers,
e46e92
Long wait only it feels so sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Just think what would have happened if you'd gotten a Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
Well, I've been lusting after the M3 since the e46 model. Talked the ears off of friends who would listen about the car. When I finally decided it was time, I didn't tell a soul, not my family nor my friends. I ordered and waited.

Took a train down to the dealership that's out of state to pick up the car. Didn't tell my dad that I was bringing a car. Just showed up with it.

My friends were shocked when I showed up with the car. It was such an emotional purchase because a)had the same car for 8+years and b) I had never bought a car on my own, let alone an M3 before.

It's rather sad really. I'd have enjoyed shopping for it with someone else. If I was married, it would have been quite an experience to make the decision together and pick up the car together. I know it's not that simple sometimes(you married guys are probably rolling your eyes at me). I hope to do an ED with my future spouse. I guess I'm ready to take the plunge.

Now that I have THE car. I just need a nice lady to share it with.
Great story. Keep my fingers crossed that you find that sweet lady on some sunny day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
I paid in gum
Hope that works out for you ... don't get stuck on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
thats what i did! check out the link in my sig

best experience EVER
Thanks for sharing ... wonderful pictures you must have had a wonderful time. I try to get back home every 2 to 3 years or so ... always go first class on Air Miles ... best of luck on your next trip and ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
My wife has been saying for years that she wants to take a trip to Europe but she never had a specific destination in mind. Last year a friend of mine bought a Corvette and told me about the option for museum delivery. He didn't do it because it is an option with an extra charge and he was able to negotiate a much better deal on a car off the lot. That reminded me of something I read about years ago about picking up a BMW in Germany.

After a little research I found (to my surprise) that the European Delivery price was far cheaper than the same car off of the lot. That combined with the 2 for 1 plane tickets, the 2 weeks of insurance and registration, and I was sold.

Said to my wife "I found us the ULTIMATE European vacation." I described the places we would be going and the things we would be doing and she was instantly excited. When she asked how we would get to all of these places I said, "we will drive in a brand new, fresh off the assembly line BMW M3."

The M3 has been at the top of my realistic dream car list for a long time but never could get myself to pull the trigger. It's not that we can't afford it, it's just a lot to spend on a car. The discount for ED and the opportunity to drive it around Europe is what sold us. It was the by far the best vacation we've ever been on, we absolutely love the car, and we are already talking about our next ED (summer of 2014).
It is the best way to spend a vacation on the Autobahn and back roads of Germany a lot of history there ... you should check out (DW.COM) Deutsche Welle it is a TV Station in English and German ... they have a weekly program called "Discover Germany" on Sundays in English it takes you to many vacation spots. If you have cable or satellite you can add the channel for $5-/Month a great investment for some super commercial free shows. check it out on ===>CLICK to open the link here

You can also check out Discover Germany the Travel Guide ===>On the Internet CLICK to open the link ... have fun planning

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-03-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #66
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
I paid in gum
I wish I'd paid for my M3 in gum...
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0