BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I just took the car out to a clients. The car pulls strong and smooth. Feels the same now that is is warmer as it did last night when it was cold. I thought i would add, the Proceed is also safe. When the proceed senses that the meth runs out, it automatically switches back to a safe tune. It also gets rid of the CE light you get when you run catless or in my case high flow cats.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #24
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
When the proceed senses that the meth runs out, it automatically switches back to a safe tune.
Have you already run out? *lol*
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

lol not yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #26
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol not yet.
How much the the windshield reservoir hold, btw? And pardon my ignorance, but is there any OEM warning when the fluid in the reservoir is almost empty so that you know it is time to refill, or does the Procede take care of that?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #27
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

There is a factory low washer fluid light. Not sure where on the tank he is tapping into it but I assume he's tapping in near the bottom so that light should be a good early warning sign, you still have half a liter or so left when the light comes on
      12-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

make a kit for an ess supercharger
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Have you already run out? *lol*
How much meth is used or at what ratio is it used? Does a tank last like a day, month, year?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
How much meth is used or at what ratio is it used? Does a tank last like a day, month, year?
It is mentioned somewhere earlier that one of the dyno sheets says, "Meth 50/50", so I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that is the meth/water ratio.

As far as usage, I'd imagine that it varies given driving style, just like your gas mileage will vary depending on the same.

Vishnu, in looking at one of your previous threads, you're able to switch to different maps using the stalks. I'm assuming you can manually switch to a map that will deactivate the meth inj?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #31
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Quote:
It is mentioned somewhere earlier that one of the dyno sheets says, "Meth 50/50", so I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that is the meth/water ratio.

As far as usage, I'd imagine that it varies given driving style, just like your gas mileage will vary depending on the same.

Vishnu, in looking at one of your previous threads, you're able to switch to different maps using the stalks. I'm assuming you can manually switch to a map that will deactivate the meth inj?
I'm running a 70/30 meth mix. I don't see it running out in less than a week. We shall see. I filled it up this morning. Yes you can switch to stock mode by using the cruise control stalk. There really is no need to switch maps since the proceed only advances when a certain amount of meth is flowing.

I'm at the I really need tires point and if you stab it in 3rd at 7000rpm it's spins. I'm on my way to buy tires lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #32
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm running a 70/30 meth mix. I don't see it running out in less than a week. We shall see. I filled it up this morning. Yes you can switch to stock mode by using the cruise control stalk. There really is no need to switch maps since the proceed only advances when a certain amount of meth is flowing.

I'm at the I really need tires point and if you stab it in 3rd at 7000rpm it's spins. I'm on my way to buy tires lol
So when does it spray the meth? Only at a certain throttle position or WOT?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #33
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
make a kit for an ess supercharger
It's the same kit we used in the supercharged car we re-tuned a couple months ago. The benefits of the Procede/meth combo are even greater in a supercharged application where the engine is being run with such relatively advance/efficiency. We saw much better gains by just cooling the intake charge and running several degrees more advance. Something like +60-70whp with no change in boost pressure (5-6psi) on a car that was already inter cooled. Made 550whp consistently.

Expect the meth to last 1-2 weeks of spirited driving and cost about $3 to refill. Works out way cheaper than running race gas since it is only "on demand." And works much better since it also provides a big cooling effect in addition to the octane bump.

The Procede actively monitors methanol flow via turbine style flow meter mounted just upstream of the injection/metering valve. Which means that it doesn't advance timing/alter AFR until a certain meth flow target is reached. And if meth flow were to stop or even be slightly compromised, the Procede would immediately adjust the tune accordingly. So you will never get in a situation were you are running an aggressive tune with no or not-enough methanol. It's far more effective than standard, non-injector controlled methanol kits (AEM, AA, Devils Own, CM, etc,.) which have either reactive failsafes or none at all.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So when does it spray the meth? Only at a certain throttle position or WOT?
We have mapped methanol injector DC as a function of metered airflow, throttle blade position and RPM. Here is one of the meth maps below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #35
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Does the kit require a 70/30 mix or could you use a 50/50 mix?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
Does the kit require a 70/30 mix or could you use a 50/50 mix?
So far all our testing as been with a 70/30. 50/50 is a bit diluted for this application IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #37
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
So far all our testing as been with a 70/30. 50/50 is a bit diluted for this application IMHO.
Thanks. Looking forward to the official release.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #38
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's the same kit we used in the supercharged car we re-tuned a couple months ago. The benefits of the Procede/meth combo are even greater in a supercharged application where the engine is being run with such relatively advance/efficiency. We saw much better gains by just cooling the intake charge and running several degrees more advance. Something like +60-70whp with no change in boost pressure (5-6psi) on a car that was already inter cooled. Made 550whp consistently.

Expect the meth to last 1-2 weeks of spirited driving and cost about $3 to refill. Works out way cheaper than running race gas since it is only "on demand." And works much better since it also provides a big cooling effect in addition to the octane bump.

The Procede actively monitors methanol flow via turbine style flow meter mounted just upstream of the injection/metering valve. Which means that it doesn't advance timing/alter AFR until a certain meth flow target is reached. And if meth flow were to stop or even be slightly compromised, the Procede would immediately adjust the tune accordingly. So you will never get in a situation were you are running an aggressive tune with no or not-enough methanol. It's far more effective than standard, non-injector controlled methanol kits (AEM, AA, Devils Own, CM, etc,.) which have either reactive failsafes or none at all.

Shiv
so if i was to put this onto a ess kit how would i get it tuned?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #39
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

Shiv
Quote:
so if i was to put this onto a ess kit how would i get it tuned?
The Proceed V5 allows the user to tune! I was never really too impressed with the supercharger kit before having Shiv install and tune the Procede/Meth kit.....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #40
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
The Proceed V5 allows the user to tune! I was never really too impressed with the supercharger kit before having Shiv install and tune the Procede/Meth kit.....
had one ever been done on a ess supercharger?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #41
Ateam
Banned
Rep

is this something a total amateur could install? Or will shiv install if we drive down to his shop? I would make the drive if I could get the man himself to install this bad boy. WIth 110 degrees summers and difficulty in getting race gas and the expense this would really be great
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #42
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
Thanks for the kind word. BTW, I should have that bracket for you soon. Just finishing up the design right now

Quote:
had one ever been done on a ess supercharger?
I have only tested it on one supercharged car running a g-power intercooled system. But it would work identically on any supercharger, regardless of manufacturer. Just install it and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
is this something a total amateur could install? Or will shiv install if we drive down to his shop? I would make the drive if I could get the man himself to install this bad boy. WIth 110 degrees summers and difficulty in getting race gas and the expense this would really be great
It is very easy to install. It's all pre-assembled and plug-and-play. The harnesses are already built and all you have to do is route them through your engine bay. Just need 3 tools and about 2hrs of free time. You don't have to jack the car up or even remove any wheels. Everything is done from under the hood. Much easier than installing a pulley I think.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #43
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Here's your Dyno Database entries for these results:

STD Correction:
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=453 - Baseline MODS,
+Factory BMW ECU
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=454 - Baseline MODS,
+OE Tuning ECU
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=455 - Baseline Mods,
+Factory BMW ECU, +Procede v4

Uncorrected:
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=451 - Baseline MODS,
+Factory BMW ECU
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=450 - Baseline MODS,
+OE Tuning ECU
http://bmw.pencilgeek.org/showDyno.php?recID=452 - Baseline Mods,
+Factory BMW ECU, +Procede v4
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #44
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have only tested it on one supercharged car running a g-power intercooled system. But it would work identically on any supercharger, regardless of manufacturer. Just install it and go.

Shiv[/QUOTE]

yeah but how do you know what size injecter and where to put it?
Appreciate 0