BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #45
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
A few random thoughts:

A) The feel of in-gear acceleration is what makes or breaks if a car feels fast to me.
B) Shifting speed is almost useless to me and whether it can shift faster than a race car is even less important to me. If the time ever comes when my ability to earn a living depends on every 10th of second advantage, then I'll happily switch over to a DCT-style transmission and other things
C) Although the benefit of the DCT is readily apparent even during a regular track day, what it really does for us amateurs is make the on-track experience easier. Some people enjoy making things easier on themselves, but personally I love the comparative challenge of having to modulate the clutch, brakes, accelerator, and shifter throughout the course of a given lap.
D) Nailing a perfect downshift on the road or track is not matched by anything offered in a DCT-equipped car.

We're coming to a point in the world where automation, frankly, doesn't add to the driving experience, but takes away from it.
This, x1000
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #46
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Welcome to the forum. Nice car; enjoy it in good health.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKman View Post
Great to see you taking the car out on track where it belongs. Welcome to the Fraternity of Turning Money into Noise.

I have a 2008 E92 DCT car, but my track car is a 6MT Cayman S. to me, a big art of track driving is in nailing the heel-toe downshifts at speed. It's about the only multi-tasking I can do anymore. Yes, it's technically slower, but it is immensely fun, and is, I'm afraid, becoming a dying art.

For my DD duties, though, the DCT is king. I traded an automatic 328i for my M3, and the DCT is way, way more fun and better than the automatic box was.
Best fraternity ever. Although, I may be one of the only members that occasionally drives her manual in 3" heels lol. It is my DD after all

Both times I have been to the track I was able to ride with some amazing drivers in their track only Porsches. I loved every second of it, truly amazing cars. I usually double clutch while downshifting to help rev match, but I have yet to try heel-toe. At some point soon I will start practicing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22R View Post
Congrats on picking up the m3 and welcome. I have a 2008 e90 6mt Jerez black/black too.
Thanks! I see you have great taste in cars
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Absolutely not. I wouldn't buy an M3 if it didn't have a manual trans.
Appreciate 0