BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
gmantx
United_States
Rep
Drives: tacoma

M Mode question

Guys,

I am getting ready to order my car and I had a quick question for y'all.

I have driven several thousand miles on an 06 M3 w/ comp package. I especially enjoyed driving it in M mode. On the new M3, I wasn't planning on getting tech package, but was planning the EDC and several other options.

My question is, if I don't get the tech package, I don't get an M mode button right? My console will only have EDC and DSC off, but the other button will be a blank?

I will be really disappointed if this is the case. I don't see why you need navigation to be able to use the more aggressive throttle setting. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Yea you wont have M mode button if you didnt order ZTP.

You need IDrive to configure your settings and to save them. Without IDrive you cant customize/change/save the settings. The Navi is just icing on the cake.
      03-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmantx View Post
My question is, if I don't get the tech package, I don't get an M mode button right? My console will only have EDC and DSC off, but the other button will be a blank?
Yes and No:
You don't get M button without tech pack and you only have two (instead of three) throttle settings (among other things), BUT you get all three buttons (POWER, EDC, DSC off) when you choose EDC as single option.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Guys,

I am getting ready to order my car and I had a quick question for y'all.

I have driven several thousand miles on an 06 M3 w/ comp package. I especially enjoyed driving it in M mode. On the new M3, I wasn't planning on getting tech package, but was planning the EDC and several other options.

I will be really disappointed if this is the case. I don't see why you need navigation to be able to use the more aggressive throttle setting. Thanks in advance!
Incorrect. Even without the ZTP, you do get one more aggressive throttle setting, which is the 'power' button closest to the dash of the three buttons. The middle will be a blank if you don't get EDC, and the rear button is of course DSC OFF. This is also the route I intend to take.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

why can't BMW make the darn thing standard, some people don't prefer I-drive/navi dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
What is the "power" button for?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

^^^^^^^^

Enhanced throttle response
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
gmantx
United_States
Rep
Drives: tacoma

So then what is the big difference between the enhanced throttle "power" mode and the "m mode" settings?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
So then what is the big difference between the enhanced throttle "power" mode and the "m mode" settings?
Besides the programmable access to the M mode via the steering wheel button it offers one more throttle mapping called Sport+ (the most aggressive one).
Further features missing without M Drive are the second Servotronic setting and the MDM mode for the DSC.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Sport Plus combined with MDM (M Dynamic Mode of DSC) is a big difference from Sport with or without DSC. You launch, tires chirp and you're going.

With stock tires it's difficult to launch with DSC OFF (I can easily burn out in 1st, shift nicely into 2nd burn out for a couple more seconds and then get moving). And I'm not talking about planting my foot in the gas.

With DSC on you launch, it moves a bit, hesitates a bit, and then you go fast...

I drive EDC: Confort and Power: Sport in the city, with M configured to Power: Sport Plus, EDC: Sport, DSC: MDM (I don't see this changing until I get new tires), Servotronic: Sport. I have about 2400miles since November on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:49 AM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
argonboy, is the throttle in sport plus super sensitive? How's the steering in regular mode and sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #12
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc72689 View Post
I get everything, but what is EDC???
Electronic dampening control...

its late and im tired... please.
      03-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
There is a big difference between Normal and Sport throttle settings, Sport to Spot Plus is not that great in my opinion...The throttle is not overly sensitive, but definitely more so, I would describe it as "crisp" rather than "sensitive".

I would absolutely recommend MDM. You can normally accelerate hard with DSC ON but try it with the steering wheel off center and the car will die on you, not good when pulling into a road in front of traffic. DSC Off is not a scary setting in the dry provided you are not overly aggressive, but it seems silly to drive a new car around with no stability control these days...
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

what you loose without the M-drive - from my searching is the sport steering setting. and the option to choose your settings at the touch of a button.
      03-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
what you loose without the M-drive - from my searching is the sport steering setting. and the option to choose your settings at the touch of a button.
You lose everything you cannot select from the buttons near the gear shifter.

1. MDM
2. Sport Plus throttle
3. Sport steering

What a few of us are trying to say is "MDM is brilliant", it will be less of a car without it.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0