BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Why not compete with a GTR?

Why doesn't BMW come out with a 1 year and year only model that competes with the raw power of GTR? Keep the incredible handling and luxury feel, but give it monster boost, why not??? Your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

not enough profit for the R&D
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30 View Post
Why doesn't BMW come out with a 1 year and year only model that competes with the raw power of GTR? Keep the incredible handling and luxury feel, but give it monster boost, why not??? Your thoughts.
Because they're in the business of making money, not measuring to see whose is bigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
they do... it's called the X1 xDrive35i

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
they do... it's called the X1 xDrive35i
Throw on a jb4.. Switzer killer
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Because loyal fanboys will always keep flocking to them, no matter how many turds they manufacture (e.g. X6M, 3 series GT, etc), and will never buy "just a Nissan" even if it can go at warp speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
First of all, none of the actual M cognoscenti would view this type of effort as anything other than a bastardization of what M cars are all about.

Second, none of the actual M cognoscenti would view the current M3 as having incredible handling. It's very, very good on the street, but falls into sustained understeer in a track environment.

Third, the M3 makes its mark because it does nearly everything well. In fact, it may be the best overall compromise car that anyone has ever offered for sale. What you are envisioning would pretty much destroy that carefully designed compromise. Amongst other things, the car would gain a lot of weight (mostly in front) because of the added turbo hardware, intercooling, oversize radiator, larger front brakes, etc.

Then you'd need to strengthen the entire driveline from front to back in order to stand up to the extra torque, plus bigger rear brakes, plus bigger wheels and tires...

Of course at that point you'd still be less than competitive with the Nissan because you'd lack the traction you'd need in order to stay up, never mind the sophisticated AWD algorithms Nissan is using to perfect overall cornering capabilities. So, what? Add AWD?

Sure, but now you're even further away from what M cars are all about.

Bad idea.

Bruce

PS - Sure, BMW could do this. Hell, Hyundai could do this if they wanted to. The point would be, why bother.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
not enough profit for the R&D
this
/thread
/not only one of the worst questions on the forum, but one of the worst questions financially/economically/business wise in general
/10/10 thread will read again
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Nissan isn't making money on the GTR. Why would BMW want to compete with that?

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

As others have mentioned, BMW out to make money. Making a GT-R killer will not make them any money given the additional costs to make such a car.

The GT-R is a halo car for Nissan, given its performance and costs - they probably lose money on every car but make it back in the positive draw it gives the brand as a whole.
      10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

BMW is making plenty by putting the same exact engine in 90% of their cars. Its about profit and living off of past greatness now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
First of all, none of the actual M cognoscenti would view this type of effort as anything other than a bastardization of what M cars are all about.

Second, none of the actual M cognoscenti would view the current M3 as having incredible handling. It's very, very good on the street, but falls into sustained understeer in a track environment.

Third, the M3 makes its mark because it does nearly everything well. In fact, it may be the best overall compromise car that anyone has ever offered for sale. What you are envisioning would pretty much destroy that carefully designed compromise. Amongst other things, the car would gain a lot of weight (mostly in front) because of the added turbo hardware, intercooling, oversize radiator, larger front brakes, etc.

Then you'd need to strengthen the entire driveline from front to back in order to stand up to the extra torque, plus bigger rear brakes, plus bigger wheels and tires...

Of course at that point you'd still be less than competitive with the Nissan because you'd lack the traction you'd need in order to stay up, never mind the sophisticated AWD algorithms Nissan is using to perfect overall cornering capabilities. So, what? Add AWD?

Sure, but now you're even further away from what M cars are all about.

Bad idea.

Bruce

PS - Sure, BMW could do this. Hell, Hyundai could do this if they wanted to. The point would be, why bother.
+1

BMW is in the business of making money, not making cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Not sure if it merits "incredible handling" accolades, but it ticks the rest of the boxes. Definitely competes in raw power:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...e/default.aspx
      10-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

BMW might find themselves in an awkward position with the M4 (or maybe the next-gen M4) if you guys are right. Some reports are talking about the car being closer to $85-90k optioned than our $75k M3s. I don't know about you guys, but I'll pay another $10k to have a GT-R if it goes that high. I doubt I'm alone, what will BMW say then? You can't just keep raising prices year over year without even coming close to your competition in terms of power/handling.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy an M4 in 2-3 years -- but after that it'll be a GT3 or GT-R... At the $100k price point BMW really has nothing to offer (sorry F10 guys, it's not worth the money).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

You all make great points! Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

These are two very different types of cars. One is a pure performance monster and the other is a balanced yet very capable luxury performance coupe. If you want all the performance of a GTR and a high amount of luxury and refinement, there is a car for you...a 911 turbo S. It costs about as much much as a GTR and and M3 together.

I am actually eagerly awaiting the next gen Z06 Vette. With all the refinement of the new model, and the performance upgrades of the ZO6, this will be a true force to be reckoned with. Still, it will take the ZR1 version to take a GTR, which it does already.
      10-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
These are two very different types of cars. One is a pure performance monster and the other is a balanced yet very capable luxury performance coupe. If you want all the performance of a GTR and a high amount of luxury and refinement, there is a car for you...a 911 turbo S. It costs about as much much as a GTR and and M3 together.

I am actually eagerly awaiting the next gen Z06 Vette. With all the refinement of the new model, and the performance upgrades of the ZO6, this will be a true force to be reckoned with. Still, it will take the ZR1 version to take a GTR, which it does already.
Funny you say that, I'm test driving one next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I wonder how much a new GTR could cost if Nissan didn't subsidize them and sold them at a normalized profit margin.

Anyone?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

M6 Vs GTR?????
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I wonder how much a new GTR could cost if Nissan didn't subsidize them and sold them at a normalized profit margin.

Anyone?
Maybe twice? Three times? Look at the LFA price, and Lexus still loses money on them.The problem isn't really the cost of materials or labor to make the car. It has more to do with the R&D to design and develop the car. That cost is very high for companies like Nissan and Toyota that do not have previous supercar experience to rely on, and that is made worse by making those cars bespoke and not sharing their platform with the rest of the line up like what Porsche or BMW do. Limited production numbers also make it more difficult for those car makers to break even and recoup their costs while keeping the car's price reasonable. The GT-R really is one hell of a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
this
/thread
/not only one of the worst questions on the forum, but one of the worst questions financially/economically/business wise in general
/10/10 thread will read again
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
cris///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3 VF SG 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
BMW might find themselves in an awkward position with the M4 (or maybe the next-gen M4) if you guys are right. Some reports are talking about the car being closer to $85-90k optioned than our $75k M3s. I don't know about you guys, but I'll pay another $10k to have a GT-R if it goes that high. I doubt I'm alone, what will BMW say then? You can't just keep raising prices year over year without even coming close to your competition in terms of power/handling.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy an M4 in 2-3 years -- but after that it'll be a GT3 or GT-R... At the $100k price point BMW really has nothing to offer (sorry F10 guys, it's not worth the money).
Appreciate 0