BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

07-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Why does china have most super cars?

So i was looking at exoticwreaks.com today and noticed that most of the exotic crashes are in china... WHY? how do so many people have M3's F430's Gallardo Ect.. Then literally wreak them brand new? i don't get it. and looked at other threads and it's the same story.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Its just more reported i would guess. lots of people in china... and lots of rich people. but even more very poor people.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Umm, 1.3 billion people or about 20% of world's population.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
So i was looking at exoticwreaks.com today and noticed that most of the exotic crashes are in china... WHY?
google chinese drivers
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
google chinese drivers
Do you meann Woman drivers ?
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
JWE90
2008 E90 M3 6 spd., no sunroof, no nav, no idrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

They have the most money, combined with the worst driving record on earth.

That place is insane to drive in; people have absolutely no concept of (or regard for) road rules. The average US or European driver would be killed in about two minutes on those roads. There are people standing on the highways, massively overloaded trucks with no lights ... trash fires by the road. Congestion in the cities. People in expensive cars swerving across 4 lanes of traffic on the airport road in Beijing. The whole country is the most insane driving on the planet.

However they ALSO have these wide-open new freeways in the distant parts that are virtually empty. That would be an awesome test track for a high performance car!! (right up until you slam into some guy on a donkey cart or something).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
There's no regard for traffic laws in china. It's ever man, woman, motorcyclist, bicicle rider and pedestrian for themselves. In some parts of shanghai, it's crazy confusing too. You have to get on the far right lane to make a left turn and vice versa. It's like they built the roads and later on thought oh we should of put a turn lane there and they just shove it anywhere it fits.

I was getting out of a taxi once and the car stopped at the curb for me to get out. I open my door thinking its safe and a motorcycle crashes right into the door. He was ripping down the 2 foot gap between road and curb. Unbelievable this country
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
JWE90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
There's no regard for traffic laws in china. It's ever man, woman, motorcyclist, bicicle rider and pedestrian for themselves. In some parts of shanghai, it's crazy confusing too. You have to get on the far right lane to make a left turn and vice versa. It's like they built the roads and later on thought oh we should of put a turn lane there and they just shove it anywhere it fits.

I was getting out of a taxi once and the car stopped at the curb for me to get out. I open my door thinking its safe and a motorcycle crashes right into the door. He was ripping down the 2 foot gap between road and curb. Unbelievable this country
Melbourne has that funky "turn right from the far left lane" thing too. Confusing as hell.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

I think Russia take 1st place for worst and china a close second. And in Russia some times bad driving comes with an ass beating...lol
      07-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

They don't. Get your facts straight. Number one supercar sale in the world is us.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
JWE90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
They don't. Get your facts straight. Number one supercar sale in the world is us.
No way! Half the supercars in the world aren't even street legal here.

Per-capita I would guess its Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
lots of money concentrated in the hands of a few (extremely busy) parents + "one child" policy = tons of undisciplined rich kids/trophy wives with supercars

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWE90 View Post
They have the most money, combined with the worst driving record on earth.

That place is insane to drive in; people have absolutely no concept of (or regard for) road rules. The average US or European driver would be killed in about two minutes on those roads. There are people standing on the highways, massively overloaded trucks with no lights ... trash fires by the road. Congestion in the cities. People in expensive cars swerving across 4 lanes of traffic on the airport road in Beijing. The whole country is the most insane driving on the planet.

However they ALSO have these wide-open new freeways in the distant parts that are virtually empty. That would be an awesome test track for a high performance car!! (right up until you slam into some guy on a donkey cart or something).

ahhhahhahhahhhahhahha
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Do you meann Woman drivers ?
No.

Why are chinese women drivers bad?

My guess is that males are behind the wheel for most of the exotic car crashes.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No way! Half the supercars in the world aren't even street legal here.

Per-capita I would guess its Switzerland.
HALF? what are you talking about? OP is pointing out the circumstantial evidence that somehow China has more supercars in the world based on car wreck pictures. So I don't even know why per-capita even plays into this.

Have you even looked at the numbers?! The US hands down beats the crap out of all other countries in terms of annual supercar sales. Supercar sales, unlike all other cars, ebbs and flows with the world economy. The % changes every year swings larger than any other types of car. But no matter how you slice it, and regardless of year, the USA's take down every year just dominates the rest of the countries. We even beat most continents on any given year!

Those non-street legal cars you're talking about is even a FRACTION of annual worldwide supercar sales! If you don't believe it, look at the numbers, or just use your brain. You're telling me a small shop like Pagani and Grumpret will sell MORE cars (even combined) than Ferrari who has the manufacturing, sourcing, and marketing support of Fiat?! Give me a break.

Now OP to answer your question on why there's more picture on the werck site, I suspect it's a combination of reporting bias, the difference of cars owners in China, cultural acceptance of the rich, and the general disregard for traffic laws in China.

Reporting bias: Chinese cities are very dense. Therefore when a Ferrari crashes, you'll have probably 2-3 times more smartphones snapping photos posting it on websites. Finally, are you sure those photos are from China? How do you know some of those aren't crashes in other Asian countries like Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia?

Car owners: Chinese economic development skyrocketed in the 80s, but the ultra-rich didn't get to this point until the early 90s. So the composition of many of these owners are these "get-rich-quick" type people and corrupt public-private citizens who run state-sponsored monopolies. They give those cars to their kids, and there you have it. Also, many people also can do stuff with impunity. Likely some of these crash victims didn't even get cited as they're well connected in government, hence creating a culture of wrecklessness and playboy lifestyle. Finally, supercar ownership has become a status symbol in China. It's almost a necessity to tell everyone that "you have arrived", compared that to USA, I know many millioniares (liquid wealth, none of that homeownership wealth bullshit) that don't have supercars.

Culture: Same comment as above, but there's a general smug satisfaction in China that if some ultra-rich person comes crashing down (in any sense) the public would consume the shit out of it, they love the rags to riches back to rags stories. They love to look at pictures of the rich and disect and "character assassinate" them, and point out corrupt officials. Hence more reporting on stuff like this.

Traffic Laws: if you're ever been in China...then no explanation needed here.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
JWE90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
HALF? what are you talking about?
Well I was kind of excluding Ferraris, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, AMG cars etc. (except for the really rare limited edition varities) because they are such a common sight on the streets. The list would be Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Tramontana etc... basically all the boutique true exotics that cost a mil+.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Hilarious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
I think Russia take 1st place for worst and china a close second. And in Russia some times bad driving comes with an ass beating...lol
I assure you that's not true. I've lived in Russia, it's not THAT bad. They don't have bicycles rolling around in the middle of the street. But yes I do agree with the a$$ beating part.

I've had coworkers that have gone to China, and they say it's the craziest thing ever. I believe them too.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well I was kind of excluding Ferraris, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, AMG cars etc. (except for the really rare limited edition varities) because they are such a common sight on the streets. The list would be Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Tramontana etc... basically all the boutique true exotics that cost a mil+.
excluding Ferarris, Lambos, etc? that's convienent. Those are the dominate exotic car makers in the world. The boutiques combined are just fractions of Ferrari and Lambo themselves. If you add the $200k AMGs, Bentley, AM, etc, those boutiques are a drop in the bucket.

Back to topic, correct me if I'm wrong but the majority of those wreck sites show Ferraris and Lambos. If you're trying to explain why there's more Koenigsegg and Pagani crashes in China, then there you have it, it's b/c they're not street legal in the world's largest exotic car market...USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Hilarious!!

I assure you that's not true. I've lived in Russia, it's not THAT bad. They don't have bicycles rolling around in the middle of the street. But yes I do agree with the a$$ beating part.

I've had coworkers that have gone to China, and they say it's the craziest thing ever. I believe them too.
you think China is crazy, have you been to India!? Someone once said: I never believe in God, but after seeing how traffic/cars navigate in India, I do now. (or something to that effect)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

i see this happen in China all the time! The crazy part, it's NOT the car drivers that's wreckless, it's the mopad and scooter drivers who are the MOST wreckless. They drive down the wrong side of the road, on sidewalks, and all sorts of crazy shit.

My aunt in China explained the physcology to me. Mopad and scooter drivers have a sense that their equipment is cheap and yet still protect them from crashes (which is true). The car drivers all have an incentive to keep their cars clean and dent free, so basically, the mopads and scooters are more daring and wreckless b/c it's asymmetric risk-reward outcome for those drivers. If they get hit by a car, they get compensated. If they hit cars themselves, they get away. If they hit bikes and pedestrians, they get away and with no injuries. Scooter all dented?...buy a new one, there's a scooter shop on every block!

But your first part is incorrect, the roads are designed well. It's just it can't keep up with the growing needs! I can't remember the numbers, but there's some whooping figure on how many NEW cars hit the streets in Beijing alone! Chinese road infrastructures in cities are all about 30 years or younger, but they just can't keep up with the car purchase growth. Hence why they have all sorts of restrictive permits in the major cities now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
^ ^ ^ driving in developing nations is a f0cking hazzard. My wife was driving her friend's X5 in mexico and some asshat in a motorcyle ran right a red and crashed into the passenger door. The police stopped and tried to make my wife pay the motorcyle driver even though witnesses recounted exactly what happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Well that proves the point now doesn't it? Do you realize how unbelievably rare those cars are in the rest of the world. Actually, leaving out a few metro areas, these cars are a rare sight even in the US.