E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First iDrive snafu...

09-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Thumbs down First iDrive snafu...

So the sequence of events -

CD playing at Track 04
Navigation set to map facing north

Pull into a gas station to fill up
Turn off engine by hitting the start/stop button
Push key in once to turn off accessories but leave key in ignition
Fill up, get back in car
Push key in once to turn on accessories, start engine
Disclaimer warning sign shows up on screen
Push iDrive button to 'accept'

Nothing happens. CD Track 04 displayed as playing but no sound coming from audio system
Try to turn CD on/off by depressing the stereo button, nothing happens, system just displays CD Track 04
None of the steering buttons work either. Neither star button, or cross button, or track inc/dec, volume, telephone button, voice command - nothing works.
Turn into a street and pull over. Turn car off, take out the key and wait for a few seconds and then start her up. Everything is still frozen and iDrive still displays the disclaimer screen.

I give up and start driving home.
After a couple of minutes, iDrive screen goes blank. I push the knob, hit the menu button, nothing happens. After a few seconds the BMW screen appears, disclaimer screen follows and everything starts working fine.Steering buttons start working fine too. Seems like system reset itself.

Anyone else run into this problem? Do I need a software update or anything? My iDrive/Nav has reset itself before but it would only take a couple of minutes for itself to realize it was frozen and reset itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

from what i understand about the idrive computer operating system, it's base
on Bill's windows OS, so this can get a little confued at odd time.

i think the book says to switch off for some time before starting again.

i don't think that this is going to be ongoing for you, rather just an isolated incident, maybe due to the cd becoming jammed perhaps, which is my best guess.

otherwise how are you enjoying your idrive and in fact the car entirely?

trusting all is well.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarbati

Anyone else run into this problem? Do I need a software update or anything? My iDrive/Nav has reset itself before but it would only take a couple of minutes for itself to realize it was frozen and reset itself.
Seems to be happaning to me more & more. Freezing.
Next time it happans to you, just push & hold CD, DVD, eject +
Radio power button all @ same time. This will restart your Navi.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
If the iDrive locks up you can either:

1. Stop car and remove key for greater than 16-18 minutes (dealer told me but I forgot the exact number).

OR

2. Do the equivalent of "ctrl-alt-delete" which is to simultaneously depress the volume/mute button and the dvd eject and cd eject button. I've only had to do this once when my bluetooth locked up. I've had the car for 2 months to put the frequency in perspective.
      09-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Looks like I'm going to need more appendages than my fingers if this happens again

David325Australia: Otherwise I have no complaints other than that my right foot has been getting heavier and heavier lately. I also have to stop myself from taking curves faster and faster. iDrive and the Nav has been great. I don't know why people talk so negatively about the iDrive. Apart from the above problem, I've had no problems. I think I'm hooked on Nav now and don't think I will be buying a car in the future that doesn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
This happened to me last night. I noticed that bluetooth wasnt working with the phone then the sound and voice button stop working. I turned the car off and everything was fine 10 minutes after (during the that 10 minute, i was at this site trying to figure out how to reset the nav, thanks e90post!)
      09-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
darkie
Private
Rep
Drives: going to be 330i

is this something that will be fixed with the software update?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
from what i understand about the idrive computer operating system, it's base
on Bill's windows OS, so this can get a little confued at odd time.

I thought the ditched Windows for Version 2.0 and onwards. I think the Windows version was only ever in the 7. I think alot of the flack and the issues with iDrive in the early days related to the Windows platform. I remember reading somewhere the BMW threw it away and completely re-wrote it. Perhaps that means, hid Windows more successfully though Or they did what Munchen city did and drop Windows for Linux.

Does anyone know the real story here for sure?

How is this for a scenario though if it were based on Windows...

Nice day, you get in your car and start, and the iDrives beeps and a familiar yellow baloon window comes up from the bottom saying "Windows has detected new hardware: 3.0L NG6 Engine, would you like to install it?" YES you click, and after a few minutes a window comes up saying "Drivers not found, please insert disk" You then call a cab. :mad:

It could be worse, they could decide to incorporate some Microsoft Office components into iDrive...

Driving along happy through your favourite twisty road and Office Assistant comes up and says "I see you are going for a fang, would you like me to A. Bother you every 5 minutes, B. Take over the Active Steering for you..."

You get the picture
      09-11-2005, 04:27 AM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
I thought the ditched Windows for Version 2.0 and onwards. I think the Windows version was only ever in the 7.
You may very well be correct. E90Fleet will know for sure.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

im not thrilled with my idrive. sometimes it seems like a real old computer that has too much crab on it. and thats not really cool. like sometimes when im on the main screen, i push it up and it highlights communication, then i realize i wanted to push it down to highlight entertainment. so i push the knob down twice. and it opens the communication page. like hey, i didnt push you up and then in. i pushed you up, and then down. how does it mistake this. its a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
im not thrilled with my idrive. sometimes it seems like a real old computer that has too much crab on it. and thats not really cool. like sometimes when im on the main screen, i push it up and it highlights communication, then i realize i wanted to push it down to highlight entertainment. so i push the knob down twice. and it opens the communication page. like hey, i didnt push you up and then in. i pushed you up, and then down. how does it mistake this. its a big difference.
If you make an entry error, the best thing to do is firt hit the Menu button to start again, then pull or push the knob in the amended direction of choice.

Once you are in an area, you will go to sub menus if you push and pull.

Sorry you aren't happy with iDrive. I enjoy it a lot when I need to use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #12
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr

Question

I agree with those who don't care for the iDrive - my previous E46with full nave & phone system was far more foolproof. And who need pictures of the airflow of climate control anyway?
      09-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysop
I agree with those who don't care for the iDrive - my previous E46with full nave & phone system was far more foolproof. And who need pictures of the airflow of climate control anyway?

here here..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 10:07 AM   #14
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysop

I do, but I am a techno-geek. At parties I sit in the corner, hug myself while rocking
      09-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
Arby 330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 330

something like that happened to me on a drive to my friends house.... the car was like three days old and i was like, "this is not happening, im driving there right now and getting this fixed".... luckily it was on my way there. They said hit the eject button on the vavi/dvd "thing" and it should pop it out and then put it back in... simple as that restarts the system and worked for mine.
RB

5% suntek- all the way around (15% strip on front winshield)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #16
Arby 330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 330

something like that happened to me on a drive to my friends house.... the car was like three days old and i was like, "this is not happening, im driving there right now and getting this fixed".... luckily it was on my way there. They said hit the eject button on the vavi/dvd "thing" and it should pop it out and then put it back in... simple as that restarts the system and worked for mine.
RB

5% suntek- all the way around (15% strip on front winshield)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #17
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

The C and D article in Oct 2005 says stay away from active steering and IDrive "at all costs".
      09-13-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
OuTLaWs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The Idrive worked but there was no sound. Then it would work again and then it would stop working. I tried rebooting Idrive but that didn't do anything for me. I took the car to dealer and it took them 3 days to figure out was wrong with it. The had to replace the amplifier and they said my programming was out of date and they reprogrammed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
Joshua
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

same to me on the first day. I stopped the car and let it like that during 20 - 30 min and it came back to the normality. I never had the same prob again.
I don't know why I had that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
blaine
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 sedan

I have one of the first 330i's off the boat and this happens to me every few days or so. Its very random and no one activity will reproduce the problem. Sometimes my blutetooth phone connecting will make it lock up, others when i turn the car on it will freeze completely and reboot itself, others it will just "lag" and i wont have any volume control over my music for a few minutes at a time. The worst that has happened is one day i parked in the parking lot, turned the car completely off got out and locked it and my stereo continued playing! There was nothing i could do to shut it off.. it eventually all shut off about 10 minutes later and rebooted. Now i know this is the first of a new series of car and i am a VERY patient person when it comes to computers and debugging but this is starting to get a little ridiculous.. i just hope some of this is addressed in the september update.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #21
audionet1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 550i M Sport, 22 M5 Comp

When I am on a call with bluetooth and I need to get out of the car, I go into the menu of my blackberry and activate the handset... the phone regains control but the idrive still shows call data and just like blaine, my screen and stereo stay on even after I open and shut the door to walk away. I'm nervous that one day it won't shut down and I'll come out to a dead battery - certainly wouldn't take long running 13 speakers and a computer.
Appreciate 0