BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #89
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Paddles are for poofs.

Words of the slow
      02-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #90
ToddMcF2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 (Sold)

I can sympathize with those who learned to drive on a Playstation. Enjoy your flappy paddles.

Real enthusiasts use a stick and arent afraid to rev match.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #91
rstringer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I can sympathize with those who learned to drive on a Playstation. Enjoy your flappy paddles.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #92
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #93
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstringer View Post
Quote:
lol

Who is afraid to rev-match? I can use a hand crank to start a motor too but like the 6MT, these technologies are from the early part of the last century.

Real enthusiasts care about speed.
      02-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #94
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Manual trannies are dinosaurs.
Wow, that's enough prejudice to make Hilter blush.

Quote:
Who is afraid to rev-match? I can use a hand crank to start a motor too but like the 6MT, these technologies are from the early part of the last century.

A self driving E92 M3 will follow the best racing line along a track, make the smoothest transition, and achieve best lap time, without any hesitation or fear, than any human can. Driving your car is so 21th century, in 22nd century, real enthusiasts care only about speed.

No offense, this is how I perceived from your statement.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #95
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #96
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
T-Bee,

I have a real problem taking you seriously now after a statement like this.

A REAL enthusiast cares more for the actual experience of driving than the speed. Speed only plays a small part in the experience, surely the interaction is paramount over everything else. I think you have spent too much time with your M6 and have forgot the importance of REAL driving pleasure.

P.S.

It's school kids care about the speed, just in case you were wondering. Remember the saying 'How fast is it, Mister?'.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #97
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Why does the 6MT vs. M-DCT discussion always turn sour like this? The purchaser will end up with a M3 either way. How can one go wrong with that exactly? And we all love M3s around here...

DCT will shift faster than 6MT. That's a fact. People have their preferences. That's also a fact. I don't see the point of arguing about those facts really.

I ordered 6MT because I want to experience M-DCT before ordering and be convinced that it is congruent with my preferences. Also, although I don't anticipate any major technical issues with DCT, I think there is a pretty good chance the technology (software and hardware) will be improved in the next 2-3 years. To what extent, I don't know. (Yes, other technologies used in the car might also be improved, but the curve is usually steeper with the introduction of a brand new technology. I am referring to high torque applications of DCT, and also excluding the exotic applications to date). Anyway, so I'm more than happy to drive stick for the next 2-3 years, and if I'm convinced that DCT is right for me, I'll order another car then, maybe a MY2012 during the summer of 2011, when discounts will be plenty. Just my $0.02 worth...

However, I should conclude by stating that real men drive stick! /joke
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #98
rstringer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Why does the 6MT vs. M-DCT discussion always turn sour like this? The purchaser will end up with a M3 either way. How can one go wrong with that exactly? And we all love M3s around here...

DCT will shift faster than 6MT. That's a fact. People have their preferences. That's also a fact. I don't see the point of arguing about those facts really.
Because some people have the tendency to talk about other people's preferences in a condescending manner instead of respecting them.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #99
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstringer View Post
Because some people have the tendency to talk about other people's preferences in a condescending manner instead of respecting them.
How true, no names require as they know who they are.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #100
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

I can competently drive manual but much prefer DCT (based on SMG experiences) for the preciseness on the track.

With that said, my main gripe against people that support stick only is that most of them don't actually utilize what advantages manual provides (more in a manual v auto debate). ie...the person that never takes their car to a track and spends 90% in traffic on their commute...

My experience with most people that drive stick only do so well enough to get around town and like to call other people girls for not being able to drive stick.

So, based on my logic everyone should get DCT and lower the cost for me
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #101
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

This is why these boards are fun. We have wingnuts like me on the MDCT side and the Techno-phobes on the 6MT side.

The OP is keeping his MDCT instead of de-evolving to 6MT, so mission accomplished as far as I am concerned.

6MT, Cats, all your base belong to us

02-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #102
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
We have wingnuts like me on the MDCT side and the Techno-phobes on the 6MT side.
Not exactly. I'm more of a tech junkie than most people I know when it comes to cars, but I currently fall in the middle on this one, thinking I'll most likely step over to the DCT side once I'm comfortably convinced. So, it's not as polarized as you make it, but I do see you point. Regardless, no need to get overly overworked about this I think. And, I repeat, real men drive 6MT. However, if/when I feel comfortable switching to DCT, then real men drive DCT!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #103
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not exactly. I'm more of a tech junkie than most people I know when it comes to cars, but I currently fall in the middle on this one, thinking I'll most likely step over to the DCT side once I'm comfortably convinced. So, it's not as polarized as you make it, but I do see you point. Regardless, no need to get overly overworked about this I think. And, I repeat, real men drive 6MT--until I feel comfortable switching to DCT, and then real men drive DCT!

It is interesting to see people getting all twisted up with internet posts though. Just get the MDCT, you will live longer and women will like you more. And you get free laundry at hotels.
      02-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #104
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
This is why these boards are fun. We have wingnuts like me on the MDCT side and the Techno-phobes on the 6MT side.

The OP is keeping his MDCT instead of de-evolving to 6MT, so mission accomplished as far as I am concerned.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wingnuts

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #105
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Wow, I am learning something new about the Engrish Ranguage all the time

We usually call them glasscutters
      02-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #106
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Myself, well I'm a frustrated wanker so this is why I have gone for the stick. As I can't play with my stick while driving, I might as well play with the car's one instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #107
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #108
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

What the hell, I guess I will throw my hat in the ring too.

Take a driver and put him in a 6MT and have him do some hot laps, then put his in a DCT and have him do some laps. The DCT car will have faster lap times....it shifts so much faster than a human can, and heel/toes perfectly, you just can't match it for lap times. I raced shifter karts (road raced, not sprint raced) on Infineon, Thunderhill, etc. and had a butterfly shifter on there...fricken awesome. I liked it much more than the "shifter lever" style.

That being said, there is the "interaction" element with the car/track that is lost with DCT. It makes me feel like a "man" when I heel/toe at the track, blipping the throttle while hard on the brakes...oh yes....lovely music.

However, what you decide to get is what is best for you. if you want that inferface at the loss of a few tenths here and there, great. If you like the convienience of using auto mode in town with a DCT, great.

Whatever the choice, the car is still an awesome machine.

Personally, I am going DCT for a few reasons.....

1. The wifey, in an EMERGENCY, can drive the car (auto mode).
2. My hands never have to leave the wheel (one of the hardest things to teach students at the track is to keep their fricken hands on the wheel ALL THE TIME unless shifting!)
3. DCT is going to be faster, period.
4. New technology is cool, IMHO. I can impress my friends. :-)
5. When I see a 6MT at the track, I know I will smoke him, even if his heel/toe sounds cooler.....
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #109
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
What the hell, I guess I will throw my hat in the ring too.

Take a driver and put him in a 6MT and have him do some hot laps, then put his in a DCT and have him do some laps. The DCT car will have faster lap times....it shifts so much faster than a human can, and heel/toes perfectly, you just can't match it for lap times. I raced shifter karts (road raced, not sprint raced) on Infineon, Thunderhill, etc. and had a butterfly shifter on there...fricken awesome. I liked it much more than the "shifter lever" style.

That being said, there is the "interaction" element with the car/track that is lost with DCT. It makes me feel like a "man" when I heel/toe at the track, blipping the throttle while hard on the brakes...oh yes....lovely music.

However, what you decide to get is what is best for you. if you want that inferface at the loss of a few tenths here and there, great. If you like the convienience of using auto mode in town with a DCT, great.

Whatever the choice, the car is still an awesome machine.

Personally, I am going DCT for a few reasons.....

1. The wifey, in an EMERGENCY, can drive the car (auto mode).
2. My hands never have to leave the wheel (one of the hardest things to teach students at the track is to keep their fricken hands on the wheel ALL THE TIME unless shifting!)
3. DCT is going to be faster, period.
4. New technology is cool, IMHO. I can impress my friends. :-)
5. When I see a 6MT at the track, I know I will smoke him, even if his heel/toe sounds cooler.....

Bravo
      02-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #110
ToddMcF2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 (Sold)

Quote:

Real enthusiasts care about the driving experience overall.

Not the free handbag that comes with a DCT purchase.
Appreciate 0