BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

Thoughts on M3 after driving a spec Porsche Boxster

Just spent the weekend down at MSR track in Dallas driving my spec boxster that I share with a friend. I took the M3 out for a session when it was his turn to drive. Wow, getting out of the boxster into the M3 was night and day. The only the thing the M3 did better than the boxster was accelerate and man did it ever-I was going 30mph faster than the boxster at the end of the two longer straights. Unfortunately when it came time to brake and turn it felt like a pig. It is nearly 1000lb heavier than the Porsche so it is not a fair comparison.
That day at the track made me think of why I bought the M3. I wanted a fun, fast, safe sports car. The drive down from Oklahoma city on I35 with speeds around 100-110 is what the car was built for and there is nothing else I would rather drive at high speed. It has tons of power, it is very controlled and comfortable. However, it really is not much fun to drive. The steering is numb, the DCT is boring. I am leaning towards getting into a Cayman R, which may be the last of the pure sports cars out there....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildoc View Post
JI am leaning towards getting into a Cayman R, which may be the last of the pure sports cars out there....
Do it!
      10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Agreed. Do it. Cayman R is the bee's knees!
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Yep, the Cayman R is the moths balls

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
RichMattB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M3, e70 X5 4.8i

Get the Cayman - it is a great car.

Never heard the M3's steering called numb before though....interesting. Maybe it is in comparison to a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

1000 pounds heavier? Not even close. M3 is 3550-3600 pounds and the boxster is 3100-3200. barely 400 pounds actually
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Cayman R in Peridot Metallic!
      10-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Just spent the weekend down at MSR track in Dallas driving my spec boxster that I share with a friend. I took the M3 out for a session when it was his turn to drive. Wow, getting out of the boxster into the M3 was night and day. The only the thing the M3 did better than the boxster was accelerate and man did it ever-I was going 30mph faster than the boxster at the end of the two longer straights. Unfortunately when it came time to brake and turn it felt like a pig. It is nearly 1000lb heavier than the Porsche so it is not a fair comparison.
That day at the track made me think of why I bought the M3. I wanted a fun, fast, safe sports car. The drive down from Oklahoma city on I35 with speeds around 100-110 is what the car was built for and there is nothing else I would rather drive at high speed. It has tons of power, it is very controlled and comfortable. However, it really is not much fun to drive. The steering is numb, the DCT is boring. I am leaning towards getting into a Cayman R, which may be the last of the pure sports cars out there....
really? i have blown away the entry level porsche many times and the cararas normally run scared. i think you should get a boxter
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
I agree totally. I have a modded 2009 E90, and have posted here MANY times about the lack of steering feedback and feel. This problem is not fixable, as it is part of the steering rack design and the electronic overboost. It has been noted by all of the major car magazines numerous times.

I drive 500 miles per week in my M3, and as you say, it has the best combination of speed, comfort and safety on the road. However, it is a GT car. It does not have the thrilling, visceral satisfaction of a true sports car with great road-feel, laser-like turn-in, and perfect balance. That would be a Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, or even my Mitsu EVO MR.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMattB View Post
Get the Cayman - it is a great car.

Never heard the M3's steering called numb before though....interesting. Maybe it is in comparison to a Porsche.
It's numb and has poor feel. Please google "M3 steering" and you will find numerous reviews in motoring magazines that have noted the lack of feedback and feel in the E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
It's numb and has poor feel. Please google "M3 steering" and you will find numerous reviews in motoring magazines that have noted the lack of feedback and feel in the E90.
A modern day Porsche certainly has nice feel from road to steering. I speak from experience. But to say that an M3 is numb and poor feel is completely and utterly ridiculous. Go drive a modern day Vette if you want to see what numb/vague steering feel is all about. Sorry man, your statement is 100% false.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I just got out of a 997S and the steering is incremental better, at low speeds the M3s steering is somewhat dumbed down a tad numb..once at speed I find it to be quite good.

Also, is this car going to be a daily driver or just a track toy. If its a daily you will find yourself missing the M3 day after day.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

a near "track spec'd" purposely built car drives and feels much better around the track than a luxury sports coupe/saloon pseudo GT car that seats 5?

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

IMO the M3 steering and handling are better than most anything in it's class. I've recently driven the S4, CLS550, M3, IS-F, Jag XF, the BMW handles and steers better than any of them, hands down. However, the steering and handling in my Cayman S is way better than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Yep, the Cayman R is the moths balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post
Agreed. Do it. Cayman R is the bee's knees!

Cayman R is the Cat's Meow.

If you can live with the fact the car will be a rough daily driver, then go for it, I love what the Cayman R stands for. The steering feeling of the M3 is decent, but not quite there what a lot of auto-x and track ppl want.

Last edited by mdosu; 11-01-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

My spec boxster weights 2650 with driver-this a stripped, caged car with race seats and harnesses. Toyo R888's. I thought my M3 was without comparison until I got to drive both on the same track back to back. The boxter was so much more fun to drive. Bottom line. Yes the M3 with track pads and better tires can easily post a better time around the track but it is a lot of work controlling it. Thats all I am saying. Still think the M3 may be the best do everything pretty well car but it sure is not as much fun as the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
My spec boxster weights 2650 with driver-this a stripped, caged car with race seats and harnesses. Toyo R888's. I thought my M3 was without comparison until I got to drive both on the same track back to back. The boxter was so much more fun to drive. Bottom line. Yes the M3 with track pads and better tires can easily post a better time around the track but it is a lot of work controlling it. Thats all I am saying. Still think the M3 may be the best do everything pretty well car but it sure is not as much fun as the Porsche.
I think that's the point. No one is giving a prize to the fastest lap at the end of the day. All you left with is the fun you had.
      11-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
1000 pounds heavier? Not even close. M3 is 3550-3600 pounds and the boxster is 3100-3200. barely 400 pounds actually
he said spec boxter. probably that car is real light.

to OP. it really comes down to what you want, toy or dd. m3 is just a sporty gt, so it is obviously not as direct as the boxter or cayman. but after owning an e46 m3, i found it is not as good of a DD for me. i can only imagine a cayman or boxter is even worse in the DD aspect.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
he said spec boxter. probably that car is real light.

to OP. it really comes down to what you want, toy or dd. m3 is just a sporty gt, so it is obviously not as direct as the boxter or cayman. but after owning an e46 m3, i found it is not as good of a DD for me. i can only imagine a cayman or boxter is even worse in the DD aspect.
Before disregarding Cayman R as good DD, I think you need to look at several factors if he commutes to and from work with it how long of commute is it, year around weather condition, type of roads he will be traveling straight boring roads or perhaps something with some twisty in it, road condition are they poor pot hole uneven roads or nice smooth well maintained roads, what time of day does he use car, is it urban, rural, or suburban driving environment all of these can factor into equation.

So best case scenario if he has lets say relatively short commute with good roads, with some fun part in it that are well maintained with low traffic condition in relatively good weather then I say yes Cayman R can be good DD just my opinion good luck if you go that route keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Funny reading this. I was at MSR in my E90M on Oct 30. I had a blast with the car, but I've been wanting to get back in to a 6speed and I've been eyeing the Porsches as a supplement to my BMW. After that weekend, I went out and placed my order for a Cayman R. I can't wait for it to get here and get out on the track with it! Allocations are getting slim, you better get a move on if you want to order one.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

I just test drove a Boxster Spyder today, as the lease on my M3 is coming to an end soon. I was definitely impressed with the P-car, and may end up getting it. But when I got back into my M3, I was still pretty happy with my own car. Yes, the Boxster Spyder definitely has better handling and has the best steering feel I've encountered. But it's not like the M3 is a mediocre car by any stretch. Nor would I call the M3 steering numb; it's just not as dialed in as the Boxster Spyder. I didn't test drive the Cayman R.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #22
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusCruzin View Post
I just test drove a Boxster Spyder today, as the lease on my M3 is coming to an end soon. I was definitely impressed with the P-car, and may end up getting it. But when I got back into my M3, I was still pretty happy with my own car. Yes, the Boxster Spyder definitely has better handling and has the best steering feel I've encountered. But it's not like the M3 is a mediocre car by any stretch. Nor would I call the M3 steering numb; it's just not as dialed in as the Boxster Spyder. I didn't test drive the Cayman R.
The new 991 C2S is starting to appear in my radar as a probable replacement for my M3 after i get my M5. They seem to have improved greatly in the sound department and the cheap WRX engine/exhaust note doesn't seem to figure much anymore. Will wait to see and hear one in the metal and hopefully, the new steering rack doesn't loose its mojo
Appreciate 0