BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
brando1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Exclamation Whoever Said.......

The Pontiac G8's interior is comparable to a BMW 5 Series is a dumbass! I just drove a G8 and needless to say, I was not impressed. Yes, it's the best interior GM has produced in a very long time, but it's no where NEAR the quality of a BMW. Period. Amen.

:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Honestly, BMW's interiors never really impressed me as being of the highest quality. Attractive and business like yes. But similar to porsche, alittle flimsy feeling. Compared to the trash put out by GM, it is very high quality. I drove 2 rentals back to back, a cobalt and an accent. The accent's interior materials were obviously cheap, but light years ahead of the cobalt's.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando1985 View Post
The Pontiac G8's interior is comparable to a BMW 5 Series is a dumbass! I just drove a G8 and needless to say, I was not impressed. Yes, it's the best interior GM has produced in a very long time, but it's no where NEAR the quality of a BMW. Period. Amen.

The best quality GM interior in a long time is like saying its the higest quality liquor that comes in a plastic bottle, it still isn't gonna be that good.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I sat in a new G8 and didn't like the drivers seat. I lowered it all the way and I still felt like I was sitting on a highchair. WAY TOO high/tall. NO thanks. My 07 Civic Si seats are light years better.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

The car is $20k less expensive. What the fuck did you expect?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins View Post
Honestly, BMW's interiors never really impressed me as being of the highest quality. Attractive and business like yes. But similar to porsche, alittle flimsy feeling. Compared to the trash put out by GM, it is very high quality. I drove 2 rentals back to back, a cobalt and an accent. The accent's interior materials were obviously cheap, but light years ahead of the cobalt's.
And neither one of those have anything AT ALL in common with a G8. They're not even built on the same continent.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
brando1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Save your hate for the guys who produced this:

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Pontiac...ommercial/5375
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Take it easy.
      05-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

the only 5 series i'd buy would be a M5 and even if i had the money for it, i'd be kicking myself for not buying the GXP and spending the rest of the money on a 135i...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
brando1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
As someone else said, it is 20K cheaper dummy! The car is the size of a 7, feels like a 5 and costs like a 1.

The interior is great for a 30k car. Take the 20+k you save and buy yourself a used BMW. Or customize your interior with baby seal pelts and mink if you like, you will still have plenty of money left over. The BMW is overpriced.
I agree with you. I don't agree with the people who are pitting the BMW against the G8. I spent an hour of my life driving a G8 because the 'internet' pitted the BMW against the new almighty G8. It's an hour of my life I'll never have back.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I agree with you. I don't agree with the people who are pitting the BMW against the G8. I spent an hour of my life driving a G8 because the 'internet' pitted the BMW against the new almighty G8. It's an hour of my life I'll never have back.
You obviously can stand nothing but the finest things in life. Would you like some Grey Poupon?

They are pitting the cars because they are the same size and in the same segment. One is faster, cheaper, more powerful and larger. The other one has a nice interior. There is a reason for the price difference but some people might actually having 20k in their pocket over soft plastics and smaller panel gaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

This is the wrong forum for this discussion. Moving to General/Other Cars Talk.
      05-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #13
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
The BMW is overpriced.
A car is only worth what the market will bear. And last year, the US market sustained 54,142 5-Series sales. For reference, during the 3 model years that the GTO was on sale here, it sold only 40,745. And that was during a stronger economy.
The BMW is not overpriced. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
A car is only worth what the market will bear. And last year, the US market sustained 54,142 5-Series sales. For reference, during the 3 model years that the GTO was on sale here, it sold only 40,745. And that was during a stronger economy.
The BMW is not overpriced. Different strokes for different folks.

What exactly do the sales of a high powered 2 door coupe with a small trunk have to do with the sales of a full sized four door sedan? It's doesn't make any sense whatsoever to quote those two numbers in the same sentence. The market for the two cars it TOTALLY different. It makes as much sense as comparing 135 and 535 sales...none.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The first post came out mud slinging, and others followed. No name calling. We're all 1addicts.

Thanks. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
What exactly do the sales of a high powered 2 door coupe with a small trunk have to do with the sales of a full sized four door sedan? It's doesn't make any sense whatsoever to quote those two numbers in the same sentence. The market for the two cars it TOTALLY different. It makes as much sense as comparing 135 and 535 sales...none.
I was explaining that the 5-Series is not overpriced. If it were, nobody would buy it. Simple economics. To most people (who can't afford it), a Ferrari F430 is overpriced.
I didn't say the two were in exactly the same market. What else is in the same market as the GTO? The Mustang. The Mustang pretty much clobbered the GTO in sales, even though the GTO had a nicer interior, more hp, IRS. For the first few years of its production, the V8 take on the Mustang was well over 50%.
2-doors vs 2-doors, OK: How many sales of 3-Series (or M3's) did BMW lose to the GTO? I don't think too many. On paper, the M3 is horribly overpriced compared to the GTO. The market, which ultimately determines whether a product is priced fairly, said otherwise.

Also, 135 vs 535 wouldn't make sense because BMW has positioned the 135 as a niche vehicle. The 535 is not. Nor was the GTO, which fell far below GM's sales expectations.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was explaining that the 5-Series is not overpriced. If it were, nobody would buy it. Simple economics. To most people (who can't afford it), a Ferrari F430 is overpriced.
I didn't say the two were in exactly the same market. What else is in the same market as the GTO? The Mustang. The Mustang pretty much clobbered the GTO in sales, even though the GTO had a nicer interior, more hp, IRS. For the first few years of its production, the V8 take on the Mustang was well over 50%.
2-doors vs 2-doors, OK: How many sales of 3-Series (or M3's) did BMW lose to the GTO? I don't think too many. On paper, the M3 is horribly overpriced compared to the GTO. The market, which ultimately determines whether a product is priced fairly, said otherwise.

Also, 135 vs 535 wouldn't make sense because BMW has positioned the 135 as a niche vehicle. The 535 is not. Nor was the GTO, which fell far below GM's sales expectations.
How can you possibly say that a 400Hp coupe with practiaclly no trunk, one available engine, and a back seat that's hard to get into isn't a nitch vehicle, but the 135 is? Again your reasoning makes no sense.

The issues with the GTO go much farther than pricing, and to say otherwise is nothing more than a lack of understanding. And again, has nothing whatsoever to do with the sales of the 5 sereis, or the G8. It's apples and tomatoes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #18
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
How can you possibly say that a 400Hp coupe with practiaclly no trunk, one available engine, and a back seat that's hard to get into isn't a nitch vehicle, but the 135 is? Again your reasoning makes no sense.

The issues with the GTO go much farther than pricing, and to say otherwise is nothing more than a lack of understanding. And again, has nothing whatsoever to do with the sales of the 5 sereis, or the G8. It's apples and tomatoes.
It has everything to do with sales of the 5-Series: if nobody bought the 5-Series (and bought all other cars like E-Class, A6, or G8 instead), on what grounds can anyone say that the 5-Series is properly priced? They can't. It would most definitely be undeniably overpriced. Period.
The fact that people keep buying 50K+ year after year, even this late in the 5-Series' life cycle, indicates the 5-Series is not overpriced. They actually sold a couple of thousand more units last year than their first full year of US sales. Not shabby for a flame-surfaced car with Dame Edna headlights that was derided the world over for its Bangle influence.

BMW specifically cite the 1-Series as a niche vehicle and have even downgraded projected sales volumes, just as the car was reaching these shores. I'm not sure that GM did the same for the GTO. What I do know is that it failed by far to meet expectations before it was killed off, while the Mustang and Chrysler siblings marched on. OK, fine. They're both niche vehicles. Whatever floats your boat.
I know price is not the only issue with the GTO. Its bland looks is another. The fact that it was by then a fairly old Holden was another. But pricing strategy has everything to do with how well the car would succeed. Quite obviously, if it were priced at M3 levels, it would have died an even quicker death.

Anyway, my point for including the sales of figures of both cars is to show how one car which we would think is horribly overpriced on paper (the 5-Series) does well in the market, and this shows it is priced properly. Another car, which on paper looks like a blowout success, fails to not only meet its mfr's projected estimates, but it sells in far fewer numbers than the one we think of as "overpriced." They don't have to be apples vs apples, or in the same exact markets, for us to make this comparison. A Corvette and a Ferrari aren't in the same market, yet when someone compares the two and claims the Ferrari is overpriced, we can't take the opposing viewpoint with marketplace considerations? Of course we can. They don't have to be apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has everything to do with sales of the 5-Series: if nobody bought the 5-Series (and bought all other cars like E-Class, A6, or G8 instead), on what grounds can anyone say that the 5-Series is properly priced? They can't. It would most definitely be undeniably overpriced. Period.
The fact that people keep buying 50K+ year after year, even this late in the 5-Series' life cycle, indicates the 5-Series is not overpriced. They actually sold a couple of thousand more units last year than their first full year of US sales. Not shabby for a flame-surfaced car with Dame Edna headlights that was derided the world over for its Bangle influence.

BMW specifically cite the 1-Series as a niche vehicle and have even downgraded projected sales volumes, just as the car was reaching these shores. I'm not sure that GM did the same for the GTO. What I do know is that it failed by far to meet expectations before it was killed off, while the Mustang and Chrysler siblings marched on. OK, fine. They're both niche vehicles. Whatever floats your boat.
I know price is not the only issue with the GTO. Its bland looks is another. The fact that it was by then a fairly old Holden was another. But pricing strategy has everything to do with how well the car would succeed. Quite obviously, if it were priced at M3 levels, it would have died an even quicker death.

Anyway, my point for including the sales of figures of both cars is to show how one car which we would think is horribly overpriced on paper (the 5-Series) does well in the market, and this shows it is priced properly. Another car, which on paper looks like a blowout success, fails to not only meet its mfr's projected estimates, but it sells in far fewer numbers than the one we think of as "overpriced." They don't have to be apples vs apples, or in the same exact markets, for us to make this comparison. A Corvette and a Ferrari aren't in the same market, yet when someone compares the two and claims the Ferrari is overpriced, we can't take the opposing viewpoint with marketplace considerations? Of course we can. They don't have to be apples to apples.
GTO sales offer no frame of refrence for whether or not a 5 series is over priced, and you still make no sense to me so I'm going to just leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #20
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, you already said that. And I already said the GTO sales were just a point of reference (see my original post). Not meant to be an apples to apples comparison at all, which it needn't be anyway. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #21
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Civics and Corolla's are yet cheaper than that, yet parts fit and stay in place...

It's about proper engineering, pride of craftsmanship (yes even robots have pride), and tight quality control proceedures.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I think comparing the G8 with the 5 series BMW is all about 4 doors, RWD, acceleration. They are totally different cars.

If somebody is willing to buy a European car and has the means, I am sure they would consider the 5 series if thats the size car they want.

Some people will only buy an "American Car" GM, Ford, Dodge and so on. This is where the G8 comes in. It has a pretty big interior, a good size trunk, is quite nice looking, and for $30k and RWD is a blast to drive. Its very quick and handles very good for a 4,000# car.

So if you are willing to buy any brand of car and have unlimited cash flow, I would think you would choose the 550i or 535i.

If you only buy "American" the G8 is a Fantastic car.
Appreciate 0