BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: What will you do if DSG is not available for the M3's release?
immediately purchase car in manual, rather than wait for DSG to be released 30 27.78%
order the car in DSG as soon as its available 56 51.85%
wait til i can test drive both and then make a decision 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

03-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Post Will you buy the M3 at launch if DSG is delayed?

Assuming BMW will in fact offer a DSG type transmission (instead of the SMG transmission)... what will you do if its not available immediately upon the car's release?

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Exercise my #1 spot with the 6-speed. Following year, sell/trade-in the 08 manual and buy the 09 DSG. I'll suffer for a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

ill be itching for that dsg. but i'll wait.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't count SMG out

I did not vote yet because I still think SMG is a possibility. SMG or 6MT at launch sounds totally possible to me. I would take an SMG at launch rather than wait for DSG but if neither are available I will pass. Can you modify your poll, it is a good one!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I did not vote yet because I still think SMG is a possibility. SMG or 6MT at launch sounds totally possible to me. I would take an SMG at launch rather than wait for DSG but if neither are available I will pass. Can you modify your poll, it is a good one!
well, the whole question is premised on the assumption that DSG actually does come out, in which case its pretty clear that bmw won't offer an SMG transmission, given that developing a new v8, 7 speed smg to tide us over until the release of an ultra newly developed v8 7 speed dsg would be ridiculously cost prohibitive. so really, it's one or the other, smg or dsg.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
If Im ready to get one, I'll wait..to test drive both...so I know for sure that I didnt make any mistake. But not seeing it wont make me stop getting DSG
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
But not seeing it wont make me stop getting DSG

... wait... what?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
well, the whole question is premised on the assumption that DSG actually does come out, in which case its pretty clear that bmw won't offer an SMG transmission, given that developing a new v8, 7 speed smg to tide us over until the release of an ultra newly developed v8 7 speed dsg would be ridiculously cost prohibitive. so really, it's one or the other, smg or dsg.
Since the M3 engine is based on M5 (as probably is the differential as well and more of the drive train) fitting the existing SMG on the car would be pretty easy - simple even. Also since BMW initially said "SMG only" on the M5 it seems like a definite possibility to me for the M3. All the rumors have said 7sp SMG as well. I don't think 6MT and SMG immediately, then DSG in the next model year is an unreasonable guess or totally out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Since the M3 engine is based on M5 (as probably is the differential as well and more of the drive train) fitting the existing SMG on the car would be pretty easy - simple even. Also since BMW initially said "SMG only" on the M5 it seems like a definite possibility to me for the M3. All the rumors have said 7sp SMG as well. I don't think 6MT and SMG immediately, then DSG in the next model year is an unreasonable guess or totally out of the question.
This is a good point, but I think BMW is afraid to angry customers. Imagine the average M3 buyer. He's not on a internet forum and buys an M3 coming out with SMG. If this type of buyer recognizes some months or a year later, that BMW has a better automated transmission available and his SMG is discontinued, what do you believe his reaction is other than :mad: :mad: :mad: ? So no SMG, but a DSG later...

The fault of this poll is the presumption that everybody wants a DSG or SMG. I would choose the manual anyday over DSG/SMG, so no problem for me.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
This is a good point, but I think BMW is afraid to angry customers. Imagine the average M3 buyer. He's not on a internet forum and buys an M3 coming out with SMG. If this type of buyer recognizes some months or a year later, that BMW has a better automated transmission available and his SMG is discontinued, what do you believe his reaction is other than :mad: :mad: :mad: ? So no SMG, but a DSG later...

The fault of this poll is the presumption that everybody wants a DSG or SMG. I would choose the manual anyday over DSG/SMG, so no problem for me.

Best regards, south
to be accurate, bmw has actually done something to that effect before when they released the new smgII on the e46 m3 several years into production and bumped the horsepower by 33. i'm sure the first gen e46 m3 buyers weren't too pleased about that.

also, the poll acknowledges that people might want to buy stick... thus the first option.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Great poll, I'm torn between the two but if BMW doesn't release the SMG or DSG they'll just make my decision much easier for me...I am leaning a lil more towards manual anyway since its not going to be a DD...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
to be accurate, bmw has actually done something to that effect before when they released the new smgII on the e46 m3 several years into production and bumped the horsepower by 33.
I don't think that is accurate.

I don't think SMG I was ever available in the E46.

They did (for the US) increase the power on the E36 M3, and SMG I was offered in Europe for that car. But I do not think they ever switched even the E36 M3 from SMG I to II. SMG II did not show up until the E46.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I hope you are listening BMW..

I know folks from BMW read the board. I guess the question is how much they listen, how much they care and how much they think we represent the overall buying community (not much, as we probably don't). Anyway seriously keeping my fingers crossed for DSG as an option right from the start.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 BLACK + M6 BLACK.

Quote:
Assuming BMW will in fact offer a DSG type transmission (instead of the SMG transmission)... what will you do if its not available immediately upon the car's release?
Il be screwed!
there is no other car I want.. but I wont buy a manual.. and wont want to keep the e46 when the new 1 is out.

03-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I know folks from BMW read the board. I guess the question is how much they listen, how much they care and how much they think we represent the overall buying community (not much, as we probably don't). Anyway seriously keeping my fingers crossed for DSG as an option right from the start.
It's not a matter of BMW listening or not listening. They don't delay that DSG intentionally. It's said to be just not finished yet, so it can't be in the first production cars. The rumour has it that the original plans were to incorporate SMG but the new DSG was so amazing that BMW decided to switch...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

This is really really selfish, but I think BMW should delay the launch of the car until DSG is ready. In that way, I will still get the car I want before most people and with the tranny I want. Sorry lads. If I had more money than sense I would buy a manual and then trade it for a DSG type when available.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I feel the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
This is really really selfish, but I think BMW should delay the launch of the car until DSG is ready. In that way, I will still get the car I want before most people and with the tranny I want. Sorry lads. If I had more money than sense I would buy a manual and then trade it for a DSG type when available.
Totally selfish, but I wish for the same. A big part of having something fantastic be it a new CD or an E92 M3 is having it well before everyone else!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It's not a matter of BMW listening or not listening. They don't delay that DSG intentionally. It's said to be just not finished yet, so it can't be in the first production cars. The rumour has it that the original plans were to incorporate SMG but the new DSG was so amazing that BMW decided to switch...

Best regards, south
Sure they are driven by money as much as any company and typically more options = more money. That's why options are offered. I guess I am just hoping (again I know a huge stretch... as if a message board matters...) that they will push hard on the development side to have DSG ready at launch. The pic I posted today gives me hope, heck there is probably just about a year before we get it in the US and I don't care if you guys don't get DSG on launch .
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
Well that makes 3 of us then.

Part of being #1 on the list, waiting 2+ years, and paying full MSRP, is getting to be the FIRST to drive the car. If I have to wait for the new gearbox while there are manual trans cars running around...... that will, frankly.... suck.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #20
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Sure they are driven by money as much as any company and typically more options = more money. That's why options are offered. I guess I am just hoping (again I know a huge stretch... as if a message board matters...) that they will push hard on the development side to have DSG ready at launch. The pic I posted today gives me hope, heck there is probably just about a year before we get it in the US and I don't care if you guys don't get DSG on launch .
Yeah, thats the deal. You US guys don't get a car before the DSG is ready. That could indeed be possible. BTW I don't care either if we "old europeans" get DSG on launch. I love manual...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #21
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manz_UK View Post
Il be screwed!
there is no other car I want.. but I wont buy a manual.. and wont want to keep the e46 when the new 1 is out.

i'm with you on this manz. as much as it will pain me to see other e92 M3's on the road (with stick) before i get mine (in DSG)... i'll wait.... and grind my teeth the entire time. but if the DSG is all its hyped up to be with insanely short shift times, then the performance is worth the wait for me.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #22
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

At least they're launching the car with the good tranny. Tell you what, I'll wait to get a 6-speed manual until the 'automatic' comes out. I'm looking at '09 or '10 models anyways.
Appreciate 0