BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #45
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
It's worked for me consistently. And it's actually been recommended to me by an BMW engineer to do exactly just that.
The thing is that if BMW is "good enough" to build great engines, why wouldn't they recommend the "best way" of breaking in their cars. This people are constantly checking cars and old engines.

I say stick with what the manufacture says.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #46
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

The car needing service before 1,200 Kms? Something smells fishy.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #47
G-Known
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Absolutely no need to bring it in at the 1200 mile mark. Again, those mileage indicators are simply estimations based on averages not absolute rules.

Granted I have an E46 M3 but I had my "1200" mile run-in service performed at 1060 miles. I had my "15k" service done at roughly 12k miles. My Inspection I service was done at 24k miles. No problems whatsoever. I've only had to top off the oil a single time during those miles (compared to others that have to top off on a monthly basis)

What you should consider is taking your baby out for nice long drives on the weekends. It's what she's built for and you'd be doing her a disservice by relegating her to simple daily driver duty. Let her run!

As for the nonsense about not having all of the 414HP available until you complete your 1200 mile service, that is simply just not true.

The ONLY reason you cannot get 414HP out of your car prior to the 1200 mile service is because most people adhere to the break-in procedure of keeping the revs under 5500. If you check the manual or any magazine, you will see that the 414HP is achieved at an RPM of 8300. Not because of any software governor on the engine. So your CA/SA is talking out of his ass and I highly suggest finding someone that actually knows what they're talking about.
Thanks, man! Info greatly appreciated! tdc knows what he's talking about! I just asked my dealer today about the 414 hp "not initially having it" myth. It's B.S. Your car comes with 414 hp, no if ands or buts! You won't know what 414 hp feels like until after the break-in.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #48
G-Known
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
With the M5 / M6s, the P500 (500 hp) mode is not active until the 1200 mile service, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was also the case for the M3.

Also, there is a rumor BMW uses a break-in oil for the first 1200 miles and then they use the Castrol 10W60.

Ask the SA if the cars come with a "break-in" oil.
Yes...I'm almost positive it does come with "break-in" oil and then is changed after your first service.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #49
G-Known
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoM3 View Post
Please keep us informed. I hope your car will be okay.. Mine just went in today. It had 1202 miles on it..
Thanks for the M3 love. I'm sure it will! Everybody is telling me a I have nothing to worry about. I've spoken to a few mechanics outside of BMW and they said the same thing as the BMW tech said. "Ease off just a bit until you hit about 1000-1200 and that these engines were made to be pounced on! After you go over 1000-1200, go for it!" One mechanic described it as a "lead-foot" type of car. Whether you want to go by what BMW say is correct for breaking-in your engine is all up to you. I've heard so many damn opinions... I feel as though if you're initially not too crazy with it, you should be ok. I'm also on a lease program, so I'm not going to limit myself to having fun with it!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #50
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Known View Post
Yes...I'm almost positive it does come with "break-in" oil and then is changed after your first service.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMW doesn't turn on the power until 1200 miles or first service, if they use a thicker break-in oil.

BTW, the difference between P400 and P500 (400 and 500 hp) is just a throttle mapping setting.....so they can easily reduce power in the M3.