BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Heat Shield Options For Aftermarket Exhausts

As discussed on a recent thread, our stock exhaust has heat shields right next to the differential to protect both the differential and CV boots from radiated heat. Most aftermarket exhausts don't include any (only Corsa, at least on their pictures).

For those of us who want to protect our CV boots, there're 3 choices (available here: http://www.thermotec.com/full-product-line.html and http://stores.shamrockperformance.co...On+Heat+Shield):

- 1'L, 6"W clamp-on heat shield clamped against pipe ($20 each).
- 1'L, 6"W clamp-on heat shield with stand-offs, like 'Badfish's ($30 each)
- 15'L, 2"W exhaust insulating wrap (would cover about 1' as well) ($15 total).

Only problem I have with the first 2 choices is clamps are visible from the rear. The 3rd choice would be practically invisible from behind, and much cheaper.

The simple question is: How much more heat would the wrap allow to radiate compared to the heatshield? Heat shields supposedly block 95% of radiant heat. Wonder what the number is with the wrap back there.

And what's the difference between choice #1 and #2? Both claim to block 95% of radiated heat, but I'd think the stand-offs provide better blockage, no? Question here is if we're better off spending $30 extra on #2 over #1.

Comments welcome, and hope this helps. Started a new thread to have the appropriate subject. Thanks gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-05-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Many of those products are not going to work well with your setup, especially the exhaust pipe clamp on versions.
That will almost certainly cause a clearance issue by trying to navigate it around the various parts in the undercarriage of your car.

Even if it fits, you have to worry about it rattling against some other part and causing unwanted NHV, or ratting loose in six months to a year.

My advice to you would be this...

Once you have found the aftermarket exhaust you want to keep...then find a good high-temp thremo powdercoating shop in your area, and have the pipes jet coated.

This will significantly reduce the radiated heat of your exhaust pipes that are passing though that sensitive diff/CV boot area.

It's a one time cost, it's durable, it's effective, and you'll never have to worry about it again.

If you still want to go with the whole external wrap or bolt-on heat shield thing...I would reuse the OEM heat shields if possible.
      08-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

they also sell a cloth-like wrap. i used on my viper's exhaust and it worked pretty well. seemed to be very durable and did not cause any rattles, as it was cloth
      08-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
they also sell a cloth-like wrap. i used on my viper's exhaust and it worked pretty well. seemed to be very durable and did not cause any rattles, as it was cloth
Yes, this is a good choice if the proper wrap material is applied and secured.

The quality of many exhaust wraps are not very good. Exhaust wraps can also degrade over time (fray or flake off due dry rot over a long time period)

It all depends on the quality of the cloth, and the way it's secured to the exhaust pipes. An exhaust wrap in the area where he wants, will alternate between wet and dry and hot and cold constantly.

It's cheap, so maybe he'll try it?

I still think the durable high-temp jet coating is his best long term solution.
      08-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Here's a post with pictures of exhaust shields ( http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=34 ), so they don't cause any clearance issues. Plus I'd install the shields before the exhaust anyway, to make it easier.

Now, to the wrap, which was option #3 guys (you need to scroll below the shields, and they sell it in black as well). It's made by the same company, which is reportedly the best on this kind of material. Their instructions mention coating the wrap with a spray sealer they sell, so the total would be about $30 (for 15', which would wrap about 1' on each side -same as shield), but still a lot cheaper than $90.

Finally, 'jet coating' would cost a lot more than $30 (or even $90), and for this application, would be out of the question. We're only talking about a foot of length. Oh, and the stock shields are welded on, so I'm not going to touch them. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-05-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
I know this is an old thread (search FTW! ) however, for those that have used the Thermo-Tec clamp-on (part #11600), how's the long-term effect?

http://www.thermotec.com/products/11...at-shield.html

http://stores.shamrockperformance.co...On+Heat+Shield

http://speedzone24-7.com/clampon.htm

As in, any rattling (highly doubt it since nothing touching it) and/or other issues such as rust, cracking, etc. in the long run? About to order this for my Encore Innovation titanium exhaust & would like to know of any long-term issues before actually buying, thx!

- Jimmy

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I would like to know if people are happy with the clamp on heat shields as well. I just installed my exhaust and used the wrap, which was a pain in the ass to put on, but looks good. I received the wrong exhaust and now have to swap it out for a different one and the wrap does not seem like it is reusable so i am looking to just get the heat shields.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thermotec clamp-on shields mount with no problems with no clearance issues, additional NVH, etc. I was running these on my Agency Power exhaust and they worked really well .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

WOW, old thread~ very helpful,going to DIY it
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

what do you guys think of jet hotting the connecting pipes?
      01-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I put these on my AA exhaust. Fit just fine. http://www.thermotec.com/products/11...at-shield.html
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Since it's bumped.
Any concern with the Stainless clamp on the titanium pipe?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I put these on my AA exhaust. Fit just fine. http://www.thermotec.com/products/11...at-shield.html
I put those on too, but got 2-3/4" clamps, and no issues with rattles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bump again for the question about the metal clamps on the titanium pipes??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Bump again for the question about the metal clamps on the titanium pipes??

It depends on the type of stainless. Some types are very close to titanium in terms of relative galvanic potential. Titanium will always be the anode so the corrosion, to the extent it happens, will take place on the stainless clamps/fasteners.
      02-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
It depends on the type of stainless. Some types are very close to titanium in terms of relative galvanic potential. Titanium will always be the anode so the corrosion, to the extent it happens, will take place on the stainless clamps/fasteners.
Good to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

I saw one guy sell an exhaust that was ceramic coated...got me wondering if many other people did this instead of the heat shields or wrap? I am about to get an aftermarket exhaust, but I think Im just going to pick up the heat shields...if nothing else they are the most reversible.
Appreciate 0