BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

11-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Sounds good. Let me know how it looks. I think having these cameras will be great... especially the front one.
Ok, read both manuals. Definitely a bit of work. I wouldn't take the bumper off as I don't think that's necessary. Other than that it's just mostly the usual running of wires from back to console and front to console. Just time consuming more than anything. I also see some shortcuts that could be taken. They also fail to mention that they are doing that on an E90 where the rear seats fold down so for E92s it will be a bit more time involved. All-in-all I hope it's worth the effort. My biggest concern is the dash pieces. I have all the tools needed but prying on plastic parts always gives me the chills.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Ok, read both manuals. Definitely a bit of work. I wouldn't take the bumper off as I don't think that's necessary. Other than that it's just mostly the usual running of wires from back to console and front to console. Just time consuming more than anything. I also see some shortcuts that could be taken. They also fail to mention that they are doing that on an E90 where the rear seats fold down so for E92s it will be a bit more time involved. All-in-all I hope it's worth the effort. My biggest concern is the dash pieces. I have all the tools needed but prying on plastic parts always gives me the chills.
Yeah, the second I saw trim pieces coming off I decided this install was out of my league.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #25
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, the second I saw trim pieces coming off I decided this install was out of my league.
Yeah, no worries. I bought tools specifically for this since I will be replacing the carbon leather with the real carbon trim.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, no worries. I bought tools specifically for this since I will be replacing the carbon leather with the real carbon trim.
Ooh nice. I saw the real cf trim on the frozen silver car at the vpc and it looks sharp! Are you getting the center console part modified or does BMW finally have a sku for one with the edc/power/dtc cutouts available?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ooh nice. I saw the real cf trim on the frozen silver car at the vpc and it looks sharp! Are you getting the center console part modified or does BMW finally have a sku for one with the edc/power/dtc cutouts available?
I actually got the full Autoteknic kit which includes a center console piece.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #28
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually got the full Autoteknic kit which includes a center console piece.
Just checked out their site... That's going to look really nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just checked out their site... That's going to look really nice!
Yeah, I hope so.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I have both Front & Rear cams. I installed the front without taking off the front bumper. It was a PITA but it is do able. You need someone with small hands to get between the bumper and radiator. Make sure mark which side is up. The panels pop off pretty easy too
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
I have both Front & Rear cams. I installed the front without taking off the front bumper. It was a PITA but it is do able. You need someone with small hands to get between the bumper and radiator. Make sure mark which side is up. The panels pop off pretty easy too
Yeah pretty much what I had figured.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #32
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Nice! So you can get to the front without having to see the rear camera? I think I'm in!

I can, yes.

I can turn it on and drive away lol

it looks weird though, driving with the front camera on
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I can, yes.

I can turn it on and drive away lol

it looks weird though, driving with the front camera on
Ha ha nice! I'm in then!

I want a front camera so I can park really close to curbs and those concrete stops without having to worry about "readjusting" my front bumper.

Don't really need the rear camera since we have PDC, but figured... "why not?"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ha ha nice! I'm in then!

I want a front camera so I can park really close to curbs and those concrete stops without having to worry about "readjusting" my front bumper.

Exactly.

PDC sucks IMO (even though it is an option on my 2012 as well). Have it in the 650 that I'm driving and it's annoying plus you never really know how close you are to something before you would touch.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #35
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha nice! I'm in then!

No once you have a rear camera... you cannot go back
I'm not kidding

I'm soooo spoiled

I used to be able to park cars without worry...now if I don't have the camera I'm like "crap..."
Double edge sword ! lol

Get the Front and rear!

I use the front to make sure my lip doesn't hit the curb, as my car is a little low (not much, but enough where it would hit my lip if I parked too close)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
No once you have a rear camera... you cannot go back
I'm not kidding

I'm soooo spoiled

I used to be able to park cars without worry...now if I don't have the camera I'm like "crap..."
Double edge sword ! lol

Get the Front and rear!

I use the front to make sure my lip doesn't hit the curb, as my car is a little low (not much, but enough where it would hit my lip if I parked too close)
Yeah, I'll most likely go for both. Did you go through a local installer or did Alek do the install for you? Or did you DIY?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #37
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I'll most likely go for both. Did you go through a local installer or did Alek do the install for you? Or did you DIY?
He used EAS.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #38
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Let's say I have both front and rear cameras. If I activate the front camera, when I'm done can I go straight back to the iDrive screen or do I have to cycle through inputs back to the idrive screen.

Similarly, can go straight to the front camera without having to cycle through the rear camera?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to manually go to the front camera whenever I like and just see the rear camera only when the car is in reverse... Can this be done?
If you have Front camera on, you can simply press on the MENU button on your iDrive and it will take you to the main screen.

If you have Front camera on and putting your car in Reverse, the module will automatically switch to the Rear camera.

If you connect your car to AV1, you can go to the Front camera by pressing MENU button on iDrive for 2 sec. The Rear cam will appear when you put your car in Reverse.

It's a pretty simple kit and very easy to use.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #39
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
If you are going to install the front camera, you have to take the bumper off. There is really no way to take the center grill piece off without removing the bumper. If you have somebody with tiny hands who can get behind the bumper it might work but it's way easier to take the bumper off as it takes about 15min or less ...

All E92 cars have folding seats. It won't be any more work than on E90 ... You simply need to remove the side leather cushion by pulling it forward and it will be good to remove the RT seat cushion as well ... Takes about 2-3 min at the most.

Aleks.

Last edited by Alekshop; 11-22-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #40
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aleks didi the install and uninstall on my 335i, as well as the install on my 09 Z4.

EAS did the work on my new Z4 and M3.

Z4 has the Aleks kit, and the M3 has the EAS VSM kit

To me, I can't tell any difference in the kits.
They both work great
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #41
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
If you are going to install the front camera, you have to take the bumper off. There is really no way to take the center grill piece off with our removing the bumper. If you have somebody with tiny hands who can get behind the bumper it might work but it's way easier to take the bumper off as it takes about 15min or less ...

All E92 cars have folding seats. It won't be any more work than on E90 ... You simply need to remove the side leather cushion by pulling it forward and it will be good to remove the RT seat cushion as well ... Takes about 2-3 min at the most.

Aleks.
Good to know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
lliden
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Alekshop install manual for 128i convertible

Hi Folks. I want to buy and install the Alekshop multimedia interface and backup camera on my wife's 2010 128i convertible. But before I tackle it, I want to determine if it is something I can do myself, or hire out to a professional. I can't download the 1-series-specific manual from the Alekshop site as it is password protected. Does anyone have the password, or a copy of the manual you can post? I'm particularly interested in what dash panels and components I need to remove from the 128i convertible to reach the required connections. Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #43
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Ditto just went to look at it as well and password...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #44
1NS0MN1A
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS

Page not found!
Appreciate 0