BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
jmann2380
Private
Rep
Drives: E90ZCP 6sp Slicktop SpeedCloth

Daily/AutoX pad with wear sensors?

Morning,

Tried searching and having a hard time finding a good street performance pad that I can AutoX a couple times a year, that also fits the OEM wear sensors?

PFC Z Rated? Seem like a good option but not sure they fit the wear sensors...

My indy shop recommended Akebono EUR918's?

Any other options that are better?

Thanks,
Josh
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
blowbackpolicy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have the PFC Z-rated and they are great. I have run Auto-X and track on them and they hold up fine. I just tied off my wear sensors to the strut and did not put them in the pad. They do fit in the pads if you prefer.
ARC-8 Wheels - Stoptech Trophy BBK - Solid Subframe Bushings - Purple Diff Bushings - Topspeed X-pipe - Megan Catback - AFE Carbon Intake - RE Pullies - BPM Tune - GAS Monoballs - ECS Front Sway - GTS Wing - Autosolutions SSK - Vibratechnics Motor Mounts - Revshift Tranny Mounts - VAC Bearings - Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers - Dinan Camber Plates - Ultra Front Strut Bar - BSW Ghost Subs - Matek Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

the oem pads are generally very good for autocross and accept the oem wear sensors, is there a problem you're trying to solve with aftermarket pads?
      03-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
jmann2380
Private
Rep
Drives: E90ZCP 6sp Slicktop SpeedCloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
the oem pads are generally very good for autocross and accept the oem wear sensors, is there a problem you're trying to solve with aftermarket pads?
No not really. Assumed the stock pads would not hold up well to AutoX. Is that not the case?

Would also be nice if I could get a track day or two under my belt with the same pads, which I know the OEM's do not like.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

So, I only have an anecdote and there are guys doing a lot of autocros son these cars now who might have better more current info, but:

From 2012-2014 I autocrossed my E90M in SCCA Stock class a lot (and this was on 295/30-18 and 315/30-18 Hoosier A6's), the stock brakes worked great and I never felt a need for more pad or whatever for autocross. I bought it new in 2010. I first changed the original front pads at ~61,000 miles.

The stock brakes, according to some people who don't suck who have tried the cars coming from other platforms, are one of the best attributes of the car's behavior on an autocross course, because they work and are idiot-proof.

And yeah, I hear you on track days, but for that I'd just get track pads. With no ducting and 400hp the tweener pads (Except maybe Ferodo DS2500 or PFC08) maaaaybe might work but I haven't tracked either, so no help there from me. I was able to fade my Stoptech STreet front pads in my big brake kit at a track day.
      03-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Unless your autocross courses are 5 minutes long and allow you to get above 100mph, the stock pads are fine. Those Akebonos would be fine too, they're a street pad.

A hybrid pad might actually be worse since their cold bite (e.g. right when you've set off on a run) will be poor, and you may not be able to keep enough heat in them.