BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

01-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
cyberyaga
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Run USB cable from center console to Center speaker

OK... After about half an hour poking inside my dash in 10 (F) weather. I decided should probably ask here and see if what I'm trying to do is at all possible.

I have a 2008 E92 M3. With the Hi-Fi stereo package (no center channel). No iDrive neither.

I wanted my Nexus 7 2013 tablet to be used as a media console. So, I made a custom molded piece that anchors to the dash (no screws, no glue). Looks Sweet. But the last piece of the puzzle is to get power to the tablet and not have ugly cables like vines just hanging.

So, I figured, that I should run a USB cable (power only) from the cigarette lighter in my center console (there is a wide space that goes inside the dash ,
up through my dash and out the center speaker hole (which is empty **see attachment**).

So... Am I on the right track? Is this doable? Is there a better way?

This is my first time poking around in my car, so I was hoping someone had some experience on this that can help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by cyberyaga; 01-04-2018 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Attachments
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
I'd suggest trying to find a flat USB cable and maybe routing from near the center vent trim. Pics of the where the mount sits / what it looks like would be cool too.
Appreciate 0