BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

I've had this dilemma for a while now too. I was mixed between buying an Audi R8 or supercharging the M. I decided to supercharge the M and I'm really happy with it. I made the (mistake?) of test driving a 6MT V8 R8 for the first time yesterday. Holy hell that car is bad-ass; looks, comfort, driveability, etc. Personally I think its one of the sexiest car in existence, better than Ferraris and most Lambos. I could see people daily driving that car no problem, as I've heard some people do. Now that my M is fully modded and freshly supercharged I'm having a great time in it, but the R8 is the only thing on my mind. Ahhhh! I feel your pain, first world problems. Anyone else have a similar experience with the R8?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
You've got plenty of choices for user friendly, everyday useable supercars that aren't totally impractical.

Mercedes SLR McLaren
Mercedes SLS AMG
Ferrari California
Ferrari 599
Audi R8
the obvious one, Porsche 911
McLaren MP4-12c, if you wanna spend a ton
SRT Viper
Corvette Z06/ZR1, not as classy or comfortable or luxurious as the rest of the options, but a whole sight cheaper. Big trunk as well.
GTR
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Love the looks of the R8, but that V8 is outdated, and has mediocre performance. The only R8 that would tempt me is the V10 one. A supercharged M3 will beat the crap out of any stock V8 R8. But it sure looks awesome.
I had always heard that its under powered too, that's why I wanted to drive one. Have you driven one? It pulled so well it was tough to understand why people say its so under powered. Sure confused me However my reason for buying would be that its so damn sexy. It's nice having all of the extra power from the supercharger but I don't have the need to be the fastest car on the road, and I don't street race even if I'm antagonized. Its not worth the risk imo
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
OMMMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' F80 M3 AW/BLK

Many statements on here are true n others are not, you name it, I have driven it, it all comes down to what seems unbearable to you. For example.....people say that s2000's are very uncomfortable and bad dd's, but I thought it was just fine when I had mine like 5 or 6 cars back. My 911 c2s was a great dd(actually very surprised how good it was), as is my m3. But now I'm in a dilemma.......

1. Supercharge my m3 = fast/fun/more practical/not very exotic looking
2. Buy gtr = super fast/more exotic than m3
3. Buy r8 = super sexy/super exotic lookin/not very fast(unless i TT it)
      11-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
You've got plenty of choices for user friendly, everyday useable supercars that aren't totally impractical.

Mercedes SLR McLaren
Mercedes SLS AMG
Ferrari California
Ferrari 599
Audi R8
the obvious one, Porsche 911
McLaren MP4-12c, if you wanna spend a ton
SRT Viper
Corvette Z06/ZR1, not as classy or comfortable or luxurious as the rest of the options, but a whole sight cheaper. Big trunk as well.
GTR
Ah yes, and the GTR. Can't believe I forgot that one. But it does add to my point that there are many use-it-everyday type supercars that you can get.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

To me, 911 Porsches are not really exotic cars, not like a Ferrari. Might be different for the GT3? Perhaps. But it's ultimately just a faster version of the base car, much in the same way as the M3 is. Not purpose built from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be in a position to own one, and I know I'd be in pure automotive bliss. But if I truly could live out my fantasy to the max, I would like to own something along the lines of a Ferrari or a CGT. Not a 911.

OP, if you are in a position to try, get an exotic. Live with it for a few months and if it ends up somehow being less than what you expected for whatever reason, sell it. Depreciation should be minimal if you buy wisely and use with discretion.

What have you got to lose?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #29
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The point is that with all of life's real circumstances, how often would you even ever get to enjoy your toy. Hardly ever. It would kill me to own such a car and find myself always having to say "I can't take it here, I can't take it there, etc, etc." Hence the notion of the fantasy being better than the reality.

this is a silly statement and a new Gallardo or even used f430 are acutal quite capable, reliable daily drivers and nothing like the past l and f cars
I don't think he meant "I can't take here, I can't take it there" as in terms of reliability but more in terms of not wanting to shoulder the burden of let's say having to park in the city or in the bad side of town.

Op, all I can say is I am glad I went with the M3 instead of the r8. I don't care about gas mileage or gas fill-ups but it has been incredibly annoying to have to fill up the gas tank every 2-3 days as opposed to every 5-7 days in my 335. It's not about the money at that point but more about the inconvenience. Can't imagine having to fill up every 1-2 days if I had to DD an exotic. Definitely better as a toy.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #30
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
I've had this dilemma for a while now too. I was mixed between buying an Audi R8 or supercharging the M. I decided to supercharge the M and I'm really happy with it. I made the (mistake?) of test driving a 6MT V8 R8 for the first time yesterday. Holy hell that car is bad-ass; looks, comfort, driveability, etc. Personally I think its one of the sexiest car in existence, better than Ferraris and most Lambos. I could see people daily driving that car no problem, as I've heard some people do. Now that my M is fully modded and freshly supercharged I'm having a great time in it, but the R8 is the only thing on my mind. Ahhhh! I feel your pain, first world problems. Anyone else have a similar experience with the R8?
Yes! i know exactly what you mean. Friend of mine had one. he took me around and i was amazed. even though it was the V8, it still was fast. the v10 sounds better.
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #31
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
As M3 owners, we may take our cars for granted once in a while, but they are close to the top of the automotive food chain. Still, I am sure that many M3 owners fantasize about exotic car ownership "someday". For me, that "someday" is just around the corner, and in fact, if I really wanted, I could go out and pick up a Gallardo or 458 tomorrow.
Here's my question to you: What aspect of owning a super-exotic draws you in?

-Is it the beauty? If so, then there's nothing wrong with a garage queen, because that's the only place it can be and ultimately maintain it's gorgeous looks. Let's face it----those low slung lines are hypnotic. This aspect of a super-exotic can't be touched by an M3.

-Is it performance? Let's be honest, the first things someone talks about when they have a super-exotic is the amount of power it has. No one talks about the dude who sweat his ass off doing the custom stitching on the leather. Off the showroom floor, a super-exotic will in general have superior performance characteristics than an M3. But you could drop in a very powerful blower, race suspension, and race brakes into the M3 and still be WAYYYYY cheaper than a super-exotic, and many of those performance gains would largely vanish. I did those things to my M3 this year (VF620, AP Racing, JRZ RS Pro), and let me tell you, my M3 is pretty awesome now. My main goal was to make sure the car didn't become an untamed beast with those mods and it hasn't; it's still 100% drivable in town, in fact, even MORE fun to drive in town, but an absolute beast on the track (I track the car around 2 times/month). In Vegas, at Exotics Racing, I drove a 458 Italia a few months after I supercharged my car. As far as power goes, I was underwhelmed with the 458's power because the M3's blower had spoiled me. The M3 with the blower, actually has more power at the crank than the 458. Of course, the 458 was a dream around corners, but the M3, when setup properly on a quality suspension is no slouch either. So, comparing stock to stock, yes, the super-exotic performs better, but mods can erase much of that rather quickly, and still not ruin the in-town aspects of it. (I have kids too. They love driving in my M3.)

-Is it prestige? Of course, the super-exotic will always draw the eyes of people as it growls by and make most people envious/jealous. But I've found that the Italian exotics draw the eyes and heads turns of men, and eye-rolls of women. When have you ever watched a super-exotic roll by and thought, oh yeah, that must be a cool nice guy.......haha c'mon, admit it. We all sit there and watch the guy go by revving the engine and think, "what a tool. My M3 could probably kick his ass because I'm a better driver....."

-It's definitely not reliability. All super-exotics have pretty terrible reliability reputations, or at the very least, have expensive maintenance demands---even a GTR is expensive to maintain. The cost of ownership is far beyond the mostly-taken-for-granted convenience of no maintenance costs for the first 4 years of an M3. You need to factor that into the ownership of the car because it will continue to drain the wallet.

Honestly, if you had a few bucks laying around, every 6 months I would say go rent a different super-exotic each time and go play with it for a weekend. Get your kicks. Get some pics. Have a great time. Spend the money, and then give them the keys back at the end of the weekend, and don't worry about the other hassles---insurance being at the top of the list, garage space, maintenance, worries about parking pretty much anywhere, worries about damage to it.

In the end, if you HAVE to have one, start the used route and get a taste for it, and go from there. But you know how human nature is----the desire and anticipation for something usually far outweigh the actual moment of acquisition. And then, once obtained, hardly any time is spent with it after the glow wears off. How many Christmases or birthdays have we gnashed our teeth with so much intense desire for something, and then two weeks later the item is at the bottom of our closet never to be seen again......Of course, this is different than finally getting the Star Wars action figure you so greatly desired, but the feeling of the anticipation is exactly the same.

Back in '09, my friend and I both acquired two vehicles that year. And we both spent the same amount of total money for the two vehicles. I ended getting a new E90 M3 built-to-order and a new X5 4.8. He ended up with a used SL500 and a used Gallardo. Can you guess who was single? Anyway, he loves the Gallardo. I've been in it. It's a raw twitching beast, the seating position is hilarious with the back bolster throwing your back out, there's no room for a celery stalk in it and the insane noises that come from the aftermarket exhaust that the previous owner put on it literally scream "look at me"! He loves it. It's not for me. But there's no denying, it sure is pretty!

So, if it's about prestige and beauty, then you're stuck....you have to get one! Otherwise, I agree with your original points, and the M3 is a great car and is probably one of the best cars on the road that strike a balance between performance and real-world usability. And with a few mods, it can be a pure beast too. With my mods, I quickly swap out my brake pads, wheels and adjust suspension settings, and the car turns into a pretty awesome track toy. Come back into town, swap street pads, street wheels and dial back the suspension, and the car is back to it's mellow self. I get to push it to it's limits at the track, and I get to chill with it in town with the family. And it's 100% comfortable and adept at doing both things. How cool is that?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Love the looks of the R8, but that V8 is outdated, and has mediocre performance. The only R8 that would tempt me is the V10 one. A supercharged M3 will beat the crap out of any stock V8 R8. But it sure looks awesome.
I had always heard that its under powered too, that's why I wanted to drive one. Have you driven one? It pulled so well it was tough to understand why people say its so under powered. Sure confused me However my reason for buying would be that its so damn sexy. It's nice having all of the extra power from the supercharger but I don't have the need to be the fastest car on the road, and I don't street race even if I'm antagonized. Its not worth the risk imo
Yeah, I agree with you - it's an amazing looking car. It's not slow by any means, but it just doesn't drive the way it looks. But I agree with you again, power isn't everything. Personally I'd take a 911 over the R8... the R8 will get you crazy attention, for better or for worse.
Haha you're right about the attention, good or bad. Its like people who want to be famous and then once they are famous they wish they werent because they cant escape the attention lol. At least if we dont want attention with a nice car we can leave it at homw in the driveway
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep

Great write up Dogbone!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

GT3 RS is about as 'exotic' as I see myself getting. Too many other hobbies to spend money on as well.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
Great write up Dogbone!
hehe Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: like grandma

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyway, for those of us who may be in the "top 1%", but not in the "top 0.01%", maybe an M3, overall, is as good as it gets??
Well said. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I'm currently in the market for my next car and I haven't found anything that I would prefer to have over my M3. There are faster and more exclusive cars out there, for sure. However, each of those start to get so expensive I just have hard time justifying the cost. I'm not cheap, but I don't want to feel bad about what I spend on my car. Where I live, the excise tax on a $200k car would be approx. $15k annually. Then there's the crazy expensive maintenance costs. Also, what if you take a trip in the car to Northern New England and the car breaks down? Get ready to spend $1k minimum on a tow to the dealer in Boston.

To me, a car is primarily a means of transportation. The rest is secondary, though still important. Once you surpass a certain price point (about $100k-$125k), cars become much less practical and much less usable. I don't want a car that can do 0-60 in 3.5, but can't fit two bags of groceries in the trunk.

For instance, my uncle just bought a 430 coupe (not his first Ferrari). Guess where the car was when I was visiting him this summer? In his garage. He barely ever drives it (ever mile driven decreases the value); his DD is a 750iL. On top of that, he lives in northern New England, so how often can you drive a Ferrari there anyway? And yes, he has to drive to Boston for insanely expensive service.

That aside, exotics are beautiful cars built for a limited purpose. If you're looking for the value proposition, I'm not sure it's even possible to find the value in such a purchase. I think your assessment is right on the money.

I suspect there are many of us in this forum who could afford much more expensive cars, but we choose cars like the M3 because they hit the right balance between exclusivity, price, practicality and FUN.

That said, if you're looking to jump into an exotic as a toy, I'd suggest you seriously consider a used Gallardo. They're not too expensive, fairly reliable, AWD and tons of fun to drive. Among the 430, Gallardo, Vantage and Murcielago, the Gallardo is by far the most fun to drive.
      11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Far off from owning exotics or even Porsches but the m3 is what I like best in all aspects. Don't see myself ever really moving away from this type of car

I don't understand how someone could say they would never progress from this car?

I look at each car i own as a stepping stone onto something better. An exotic in particular (Lamborghini) would the pinnacle vehicle for me to own someday. I don't care for "practicality" or if it's a capable daily driver... It's an exotic, owning something that many can only dream about. The styling of these cars is worth it alone to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

exotic will never work as a rational or pros-and-cons purchase. they will only be worth it if they scratch some kind of irrational/emotional itch. if you have to think about it too hard, or do a spreadsheet or something, then it will never make sense to buy it
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #39
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I don't understand how someone could say they would never progress from this car?

I look at each car i own as a stepping stone onto something better. An exotic in particular (Lamborghini) would the pinnacle vehicle for me to own someday. I don't care for "practicality" or if it's a capable daily driver... It's an exotic, owning something that many can only dream about. The styling of these cars is worth it alone to me.
I'm OCD about how my car looks. A rock chip on my $500000 aventador would kill me but then again maybe you're right. When you got $500k to throw around I guess you don't care about little imperfections
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #40
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Great thread, I can't wait to get an M3 for sure!
      11-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #41
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

The only Ferrari I've seen being used as a daily driver is the California. A guy even drops his kids off to school in one every morning. His car is black, and another one I've seen recently being daily driven was gunmetal grey. I'm sure they avoided red so they could blend in more. A red California would definitely attract more attention.

That's your answer. Get a gunmetal grey California and daily drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #42
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

I forgot to add: you only live once, don't pass up the opportunity to drive a Ferrari if you can afford it. Do it when you're young, old men look ridiculous driving Ferraris.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #43
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

The do's and don'ts of Ferrari ownership, I'm compiling this list just in case I'll have one someday:
  • Do not wear any type of Ferrari clothing apparel
  • Do not rev to attract attention in crowded areas
  • Do take your SO with you when you can, so they see there's nothing to compensate for
  • It doesn't have to be sparkly clean all the time - a little road crud might give it more cred
  • Treat it like a normal car when in use - not too much care, not too nonchalant either
  • Don't name drop your car in random conversations
  • Offer rides to as many people as practical - spread the gospel my friend

Anything else?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #44
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'm in absolutely no position to buy an exotic right now. The M3 IS as exotic as I can get...

To me the 911 Turbo does have the performance of an exotic, but really isn't one. I'll gladly own one of those.

What I'd be interested is the first gen Gallardo. I know everyone and their moms had one of these in Miami and LA, but I love it. Somewhat attainable in the future, some German engineering and who doesn't love a good V10.

As for the R8, I wouldn't really touch the R8 with the V8 mostly due to the carbon build up issues. Does anyone know if the V10 suffers the same issue?

Keep in mind I'd plan on DIY'ing and maintaining all these cars myself.

/Daydream.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0