BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

02-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Reports January 2013 U.S. Sales - Up 0.7 Percent on Higher X3, X5, X6 Sales

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Reports January 2013 U.S. Sales - Up 0.7 Percent
COMMENTS

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - February 1, 2013… The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported January sales of 20,195 vehicles, an increase of 2.3 percent from the 19,739 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago.

“After an historic December, January produced a good result showing our growth continuing,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America, LLC. “In 2013 we’ll have more new models, the right mix and better availability, so I’m very positive about the eleven months still ahead.”

BMW Brand Sales
Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 0.7 percent in January for a total of 16,513 compared to 16,405 vehicles sold in January, 2012.

In January, best performing vehicles include all of BMW’s light trucks. The X3, X5, and X6 Sports Activity Vehicles (SAV) continued to show strong growth with sales up 41.3 percent to 6,469 units. The X3 SAV – on sale in the U.S. for two years – is up 18.9 percent to 2,005 units; the X5 SAV, up 56.5 percent to 4,084 units and the X6 SAV is up 34.8 percent to 380 units.

BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
In January, sales of BMW used vehicles (including certified pre-owned and pre-owned) increased 13.9 percent to 13,322 vehicles compared to the 11,699 vehicles sold in January, 2012.

MINI Brand Sales
MINI USA reported the best January ever with sales of 3,682 automobiles, an increase of 10.4 percent from the 3,334 sold in the same month a year ago.

MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
In January, sales of MINI used automobiles (including MINI NEXT certified pre-owned and pre-owned) increased 70 percent to 1,542 automobiles from the 907 sold in January, 2012.

2013 January Sales Chart:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 2.00.01 PM.jpg
Views: 5363
Size:  102.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

mercedes killed them in january
      02-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
bimmerdreng
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i e46

Do not forget USA is a country not the World.
For most People not related to any carmaker I guess it is not important being #1. As long as they make nice cars thats what count.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Sales of 1,3,5,7 series are all down roughly 30%
That can't be good
      02-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I think the X1 is part of the reason for the 1er and 3er's decrease in sales.

What I find ver strange is that the 6ers numbers have not dramatically improved over last years numbers. You would think that the addition of a 4 door would dramatically increase the sales.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Sales of 1,3,5,7 series are all down roughly 30%
That can't be good
Ouch. That's the "original core" of BMW that's all down in sales.

X1 could be a factor on why the 1 and 3 are down.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
That's what happens when you get cocky and produce little benefit over the competition for more money.

The "regular" guys BMW is getting more and more expensive and options are also be coming more and more expensive.

It's not worth trying to get into a bimmer anymore because you have to prepare yourself for a second mortgage.

You might as well go to the competition (American brands) which are just as performance oriented without the luxury brand tax. And we're talking tens of thousands here.

Yes, you can argue that it's still a BMW and money is spend on good quality parts, trim, interior and what not, but e nought to warrant $10-$20k price tags? - cant say I warrant that.

Want a nice track oriented car these days? Go buy a base model Stingray. Beautiful car and will eat an M3 any day at $15k less.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
That's what happens when you get cocky and produce little benefit over the competition for more money.

The "regular" guys BMW is getting more and more expensive and options are also be coming more and more expensive.

It's not worth trying to get into a bimmer anymore because you have to prepare yourself for a second mortgage.

You might as well go to the competition (American brands) which are just as performance oriented without the luxury brand tax. And we're talking tens of thousands here.

Yes, you can argue that it's still a BMW and money is spend on good quality parts, trim, interior and what not, but e nought to warrant $10-$20k price tags? - cant say I warrant that.

Want a nice track oriented car these days? Go buy a base model Stingray. Beautiful car and will eat an M3 any day at $15k less.
Corvette is certainly a nicer choice over the current M3 (since it's 5-6 years old already).
But you need to understand that people do save money over maintenance when GM does not provide any free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

If you look at Audi and MB numbers on their January sales then you will know what killed them in the sedan segment.
MB has been very aggressive on the pricing front with their lower end C250 and C300 and E300 etc., while Audi has attracted new customers.
IMO BMW has been too aggressive on the leasing front in the last 5years and you see everyone driving a bimmer. This has caused it to lose some of it's rarity and prestige in North America. Hence customers in this segment are looking at competitors either be it better cars or just something that they don't see so many of everyday.
IMO being the sales leader is not really what you want in the luxury department as it dilutes the brand when you see so many.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
BMWs&politics
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Black 328i xDrive Loaded

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
If you look at Audi and MB numbers on their January sales then you will know what killed them in the sedan segment.
MB has been very aggressive on the pricing front with their lower end C250 and C300 and E300 etc., while Audi has attracted new customers.
IMO BMW has been too aggressive on the leasing front in the last 5years and you see everyone driving a bimmer. This has caused it to lose some of it's rarity and prestige in North America. Hence customers in this segment are looking at competitors either be it better cars or just something that they don't see so many of everyday.
IMO being the sales leader is not really what you want in the luxury department as it dilutes the brand when you see so many.

+1 This is exactly correct. You will see Mercedes sales of higher market vehicles decrease after the CLA gains market share. Who wants to spend $65k for a well equipped E when the 20 something next to you has a car from the same brand and the brand in its entirety is devalued? I myself am 20 and I know that's a huge detractor to me. This matters to premium consumers, most of whom aren't enthusiasts and they are buying the badge above all other factors. There are extensive surveys that concur with my opinion. I can send links to the studies if anybody wants to see them. Some of them were done by Lexus oddly enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I think it's got to a point where growth has been extremely positive during the EXX generation that people who want a BMW have a BMW which is why we might see lower sales.

I imagine there is only a small percentage that actually follow the generations or switch to multiple cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I'm sure they'll be ok...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Does anyone know if the numbers posted in this thread include ///M cars and SUV's bunched into their respective derived-from series?

I never see numbers posted for M cars, just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs&politics
Quote:

+1 This is exactly correct. You will see Mercedes sales of higher market vehicles decrease after the CLA gains market share. Who wants to spend $65k for a well equipped E when the 20 something next to you has a car from the same brand and the brand in its entirety is devalued? I myself am 20 and I know that's a huge detractor to me. This matters to premium consumers, most of whom aren't enthusiasts and they are buying the badge above all other factors. There are extensive surveys that concur with my opinion. I can send links to the studies if anybody wants to see them. Some of them were done by Lexus oddly enough.
Hey there is nothing wrong with a "20 something" driving a nice car.
I'm 26 and I brought my $60k F10 535i.
Your age has nothing to do with what you can afford.
      02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Bmw is currently running on their reputation you think you still buy the ultimate driving machine when in fact you don`t. The only increase they got is in the light truck side where driving pleasure is a secondary concern. Keep going on cutting the driving pleasure BMW you deserve what you get -30% sales.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
dj330xi
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs&politics
Quote:

Hey there is nothing wrong with a "20 something" driving a nice car.
I'm 26 and I brought my $60k F10 535i.
Your age has nothing to do with what you can afford.
Yes, age does generally have a big influence on what people can afford, for most people that is.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The argument or discussion isn't on what people can and afford and at what age. It's whether or not age devalues a brand.

Personally, I don't agree with what that post. That poster seems to have surveys that prove that they do?

If a person had money to buy a loaded E-Class, why would that person even care that a 20 year-old drives a CLA? Or why would that person be turned away? If you're buying into a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, either you're an enthusiast or you're into it for the badge. If you're in for the latter, what other brand would you go for to show off your wealth that offers the same level of practicality? There isn't, it's just the German 3 here in North America. You think that person would go to a Lexus? No, because if they were only in it for the badge, in that person's mind, there's nobody outside of BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

Cars like the 7-Series, S-Class and A8 make the brand be seen as premium marques and makes the lower models aspirational like the 1-Series, A3, CLA. But those "lower class" cars also do the same to those higher models. Majority of buyers will only be able to afford a C-Class, 3-Series or A4 but being able to afford a 7-Series, S-Class or A8 makes the consumer feel like they've made it in life. The only way this theory doesn't work is if those lower models were garbage.

So again, I don't see how that theory works even if there are surveys done. It's even harder to prove because North Americans only see the German 3 as the only true premium marques even if there is Lexus, Infiniti and Cadillac out there. The truth is, if you were to ask anybody what premium car they would want to own, they're going to name a German brand.

If a person is going to buy a 7-Series, S-Class or A8, I highly doubt that person really cares or even thinks about teenagers driving a 1-Series, CLA or any other lower models.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #18
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Bmw is currently running on their reputation you think you still buy the ultimate driving machine when in fact you don`t. The only increase they got is in the light truck side where driving pleasure is a secondary concern. Keep going on cutting the driving pleasure BMW you deserve what you get -30% sales.
BMW, the ultimate light truck.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

The fact of the matter is that for the past dozen or more years almost every other premium car company has been chasing BMW's benchmark - the definition of sport sedan - and many of them are catching up quickly. Audi and Lexus come to mind.

At the same time, some people are starting to wonder whether BMW has lost its edge or if they've started valuing luxury over sportiness, which lessens their unique image as a builder of sport sedans.

Back in the good old days, you'd climb into a 3 series, fire it up, drive it away, and be delighted with the athletic responses of the chassis, steering, and brakes. It was a sports car with 4 doors - right out of the box.

Today, if you climb into a F30 and you want to drive a sport sedan you have to push an extra button to find the sports car hidden inside. Even then, the combination of run flats, electric steering, and other factors dull the sport sedan experience. Is this a case of too many focus groups and not having the confidence that the characteristics which defined the brand will carry it to the next level? If so, too bad. Bring back the car nuts that knew what they wanted and built it!

BMW's new powertrains are brilliant. As far as I'm concerned, its too bad the rest of the car has lost the sporty feel that defined BMW. I hope the upcoming M3 addresses these issues - but I'm getting ready to have a plan B.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #20
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

There might be some reasons for the sales decrease:
* 1 series is quite old and the 2 series is around the corner;
* 3 series coupe and conv are waiting the replacement, 4 series is an entire new chapter for BMW;
* 5 series is waiting its improved (at least for steering feel ) LCI version;
* 7 series is already updated, but 6 series is very close in price range and sportier, somehow more attractive
I think that in the second part of the year BMW will climb again on the first place
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

"Audi and Lexus"

Lexus? LOL, maybe if you want a very nice Camry.

Audi is still very far behind in sales and will never catch up until they get competitive on leases, Mercedes had huge incentives in January.

Anyone see the ATS numbers?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

With the introduction of the F30,the 3 series is officially an old man car now.
For someone in his 20's, the 1 series will be more age appropriate.
Appreciate 0