BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

RECS to close wheel gap (front>>rear)

Riding on stock suspension and 20 inch wheels.

I would like to decrease the tire/fender gap, primarily in the front (see photos). The rear appearance is fine by me, so not sure how to approach this asymmetry.

I suspect that the rear gap is diminished by virtue of the diameter in my 20s being almost .5 inch greater than stock. The front diameters stayed the same with the change in wheel size from 19-->20.

Current tire sizes:
255/30-20 Front
285/30-20 Rear

It would be nice to avoid any aftermarket suspensions that would make the ride "harsh". It is currently acceptable on the 20s. My modifications are strictly for show, not racing/performance.

Also, cost is not primary concern, but always happy to NOT break the bank on an upgrade

07-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Has anyone ever installed aftermarket springs to JUST the front?
      07-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
skiborsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue E90 M3

Go to a 265/30-20?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Easy,
First off your tires look stretched...(smaller then the width of the rims you bought..) thats usually meant for cars that are so low the fender will be rubbing on the side or top of the tire sidewall..so by stretching smaller tires onto the rims you round the outer edge, illiminating the rub issue..

-best bet right now would be to do lowering springs.
they are the cheapest route to go, $250-$300 for springs, and $200 bucks for install.

or go back to 35 series sidewall tires, itll still have a gap but getting rid of the stretch look will make it look at least normal..

I vote for lowering springs, because you can use the same tires. And because overall, itll look the best.
These drop 1 inch in the front and .7 in rear.. would be perfect
http://www.kamispeed.com/Swift-Spec-...NscxoCL7jw_wcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
Has anyone ever installed aftermarket springs to JUST the front?
you can do that, but it's gonna be impossible to find just a pair of fronts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiborsy View Post
Go to a 265/30-20?
that would still have a super skinny tire with wheel gap.. he needs at least 35 series to make it look normal since he's on stock suspension..

Last edited by GabeS; 07-02-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
Easy,
First off your tires look stretched...(smaller then the width of the rims you bought..) thats usually meant for cars that are so low the fender will be rubbing on the side or top of the tire sidewall..so by stretching smaller tires onto the rims you round the outer edge, illiminating the rub issue..

-best bet right now would be to do lowering springs.
they are the cheapest route to go, $250-$300 for springs, and $200 bucks for install.

or go back to 35 series sidewall tires, itll still have a gap but getting rid of the stretch look will make it look at least normal..

I vote for lowering springs, because you can use the same tires. And because overall, itll look the best.
These drop 1 inch in the front and .7 in rear.. would be perfect
http://www.kamispeed.com/Swift-Spec-...NscxoCL7jw_wcB

you can do that, but it's gonna be impossible to find just a pair of fronts...

that would still have a super skinny tire with wheel gap.. he needs at least 35 series to make it look normal since he's on stock suspension..

Thanks for the response! The 1 inch drop in the front is appealing but I don't care to alter the rear much, if at all. I understand that may not be an option if I go with springs.

I also found the following... Front Lowering Spring Perches http://www.supremepowerparts.com/143..._category.html

Pretty small drop (0.5 inch) but would reduce that front wheel gap, which is my goal. I just want the gap to be more uniform all around.

Any one familiar with these?? Is the vendor on this site?
      07-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
Thanks for the response! The 1 inch drop in the front is appealing but I don't care to alter the rear much, if at all. I understand that may not be an option if I go with springs.

I also found the following... Front Lowering Spring Perches http://www.supremepowerparts.com/143..._category.html

Pretty small drop (0.5 inch) but would reduce that front wheel gap, which is my goal. I just want the gap to be more uniform all around.

Any one familiar with these?? Is the vendor on this site?
Yeah, I picked Swift because they drop the most and because best quality. but HnR has some that drop half of that..
      08-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
Easy,

or go back to 35 series sidewall tires, itll still have a gap but getting rid of the stretch look will make it look at least normal

You can't put 35-series tires on 20" wheels. The overall diameter will be too large and they will rub like crazy. He would need to go to 19" or 18" wheels to run a taller sidewall. The wheel to fender gap will however not change because the overall diameter of the tire must remain equal to or very close to OEM.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

its the 20s
Appreciate 0