BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Njave
Upstairs drinking coffe
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 118d

Talking Making of a drift car – BMW E36 Drift Project

Let me introduce a project from a friend of mine. It's a 1991. BMW E36 which was bought to be turned into a drift car to compete at drifting events. The owner is a BWW enthusiast (he also drives a 323i E36 as a daily driver there) and has a lot of will and dedication to make this a complete project.

The old 1.6L engine was removed, clearly it didn’t posses enough power to propel this car sideways on drift events, and a new 2.5L M50B25 engine was installed. Even though the 2.5L has more than enough power to take this car sideways, our owner felt that won’t be enough for competitive drift events.

The engine was in great shape, only a small problem occured in one of the cylinders which was burning oil after starting, which was the cause of water build up inside, coming from bad storage, resulting in some rust forming inside. After the engine ran for some time, this problem disappeared.

So the work on the engine began. First the compression was lowered via a metal head gasket, completed with machine work on the engine head itself, to allow it to be converted into a turbocharged engine.

The compression is now 8:1 with a GT28RS ball-bearing turbo forcing the air into the engine. The need was for a 6 x 330ccm injectors from Audi TT 225ps operating @4bar to get enough fuel into the intake. The standard fuel pump wasn’t designed for this kind of operation so a new Walbro 255 lph fuel pump was installed.

An Oil cooler from BMW 750 V12 was also included, and an intercooler from Mercedes Viano 3.2 V6 was put in place to cool the intake air. Fuel pressure regulator in the car comes from a Lancia Delta Integrale.

We made a story about him on our website, with all the information and related images, videos and things like that. It's kinda big, so I'll post parts of it here and the rest you can read here - http://www.mycarportal.net/2010/10/m...drift-project/

Appreciate 0