BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

06-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
buddster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Gran Coupe

The Whole Process - How long???

I washed my M3, dried it and sealed my ZCP wheels this weekend. It took a long time. Either I'm really slow or that process is longer than I figured when you're meticulous. Probably 3 hours. I want to clay the car and wax it. Can I do it in stages or do I need to do it all consecutively the same day? If I do it the same day, I would have to wash, dry, apply wheel sealant, polish wheels, clay car, wash again, dry again, wax car. This seems like an 8 hour process. Is that about right to do it like this? The alternative would be to wash, seal and clay and do the way another day. Any suggestions?

Last edited by buddster; 06-22-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

For me, I can wash the car, dry, apply spray wax (Duragloss Aquawax), clean rims and tires in about 1.5 hours. Interior takes about 0.5 hour unless I am conditioning leather which takes about another 45 min.

If I am doing a full detail with wash, clay, wash, polish (hard not to get some marring during the clay process on our SOFT clearcoats), ISO wipedown, 2 coats of sealant... about 8-10 hours. Typically, I will start early morning and get the first coat of sealant on later in the afternoon. I will NOT drive it between stages. I like to let it fully cure over night in the garage (I'm currently really liking the look and durability of Collinite 845) and apply a second coat of sealant the next morning. If it were me, I wouldn't break up the process other than if you are applying a second coat of your LSP. I would only apply the wax/sealant immediately after washing, claying, etc. If you drove the car and then rewashed it, you run the risk of have contaminants on the paint that washing alone will not remove and then applying the LSP over it.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

for paint correction work, figure around 10 hours give or take, sometimes +20

for the routine wash, wax, light interior - about 3 hours

I seem to get all the black cars and 10-14 hour days lately...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

About 10 hours from start to finish but I don't wash after claying. There's no reason to.

I will have to disagree with gthal about the clay. My clay hasn't marred my paint yet. It's possible I have a less abrasive clay but unless you're really bearing down on your clay you should be fine. I will agree that if your'e going to polish that micro-marring is going to be polished away anyway.
Appreciate 0