BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #1409
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Bro, a bunch of us also know each other in real life and maintain a level of decorm/professionalism even in the playful environment. Not in a bad way but watching your video running 1:55s at Mid Ohio (not knocking) and trying to give advise on driving and provoking other members to compete in a DE environment is NOT cool.

With all the mods you have done to your car powerwise, frankly thats not impressive. Was not going to judge until you started knocking other folks, their car, their setup etc. who actually spend time focus on learning and driving.

Goal is to learn from each others, what works, what does not etc. This kind of attitude is counter productive and you wont be making any friends here or in real life

Wishing you the best. Happy Wednesday.

Lutfy
Lufty, you're a class act, stand up guy! No issues with you at all. This is an M3 forum, but you can post your lap times, and videos or whatever, in this section, because web traffic on your section is slow. Fine I get it. I was the first to congratulate these guys myself on their stellar times. However, when the trolls get cheeky, it's just gets irritating that's all.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #1410
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Maybe you should try to follow the lines of the faster guys next time and see what the car (whether it is your 335i or your M3) can really do... And you really need to take a hike from this thread...
Troll, you should take a hike from our forum. I understand the web traffic on the 335I section is slow, because most of us have long left that car for reliable track vehicles, but this is getting silly. You're right, I don't know anything about tuning the 335I which I bought back in 2007, and now has 130K miles on it. I think I'll gain a much deeper understanding of it from reading this here:

www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #1411
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Troll, you should take a hike from our forum. I understand the web traffic on the 335I section is slow, because most of us have long left that car for reliable track vehicles, but this is getting silly. You're right, I don't know anything about tuning the 335I which I bought back in 2007, and now has 130K miles on it. I think I'll gain a much deeper understanding of it from reading this here:

www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156
Not sure who is the troll here, but I would be happy to show you where you can improve next time at the track...

I haven't had a single limp mode with my car after I found out about CSF radiator and shared that with rest of the N54/55 track guys. And my oil temp was below 260F all weekend while I was at RA, just FYI...

I am sorry that you had a lot of problems with your car, but it just sound like you had a bad OTS tune with poor supporting mods. Plenty of N54 guys does road course on the e90post, but there just isn't a nicely consolidated threads of track time and mods like on this forum... For sure 335i is terrible for heavy tracking out of the box, but all of these can be solved with the right mods and you pretty much end up with a budget M4 at the end.

And hell, if BMW put that engine in the 1M, it can't be all that bad can it?

Anyway, no one is talking crap here other than you. And the fact a simple suggestion on your driving would tick you off this much suggest you got some serious ego issue, "bro"...

Why can't we just be nice to each other? You are not exactly making any friends here on this forum either from your post history... Find us on the track next time, no need for the piss match here.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #1412
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who is the troll here, but I would be happy to show you where you can improve next time at the track...

I haven't had a single limp mode with my car after I found out about CSF radiator and shared that with rest of the N54/55 track guys. And my oil temp was below 260F all weekend while I was at RA, just FYI...

I am sorry that you had a lot of problems with your car, but it just sound like you had a bad OTS tune with poor supporting mods. Plenty of N54 guys does road course on the e90post, but there just isn't a nicely consolidated threads of track time and mods like on this forum...

And hell, if BMW put that engine in the 1M, it can't be all that bad can it? And you insistence on referring to outdated info doesn't help your understanding either...

Anyway, no one is talking crap here other than you. And the fact a simple suggestion on your driving would tick you off this much suggest you got some serious ego issue, "bro"...

Why can't we just be nice to each other? You are not exactly making any friends here on this forum either from your post history... Find us on the track next time, no need for the piss match here.
Look Klammer, is a long time personal friend of mine, from this forum. We used to go to gingerman, autobahn, road America, you name it back in the day. He always whipped me with his M3 until, I got pissed one time and put on PSCs and finally beat him at autobahn country club. I then was leading him for a lap until, I went into limp mode after a chicane, and he blew by me. Today, I'm in an M3. Sorry, I re-read our exchange, and I threw the first stone out of jealousy. Hey, back in the day I was the pioneer on E90post, along with PeterM3, and so many others who tried different things to track the 335I. So happy to see you guys kill it today with that car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #1413
Jon@NL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The bottom line is that all of us in this thread are a special kind of f*cked up that have an addiction to tracking that nobody in their right minds could possibly understand.

No reason for animosity since we all have that in common. The best part about going to the track is that you can leave $10k of gear unattended for hours on end and none of it will be stolen. Same thing if you break something - you can always count on someone donating a part and refusing payment and helping you getting back up and running.

Let's try to keep that attitude in the "virtual" paddock as well.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #1414
Vox Populi
Rep
Drives: Evolved E46 M3

Quote:

Btw, uploaded some fun video of me chasing a GT3 last night.

Great running with you man. I was in the dark blue e46 m3 with the yellow fog lights. Your car is a total monster! I've got a ton of footage that I need to work through but I'll put up the 3/4 laps we ran together at some point.

I only got into the high 2:37s for the weekend but was a freaking blast. Hope to see you out there again sometime.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #1415
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
Great running with you man. I was in the dark blue e46 m3 with the yellow fog lights. Your car is a total monster! I've got a ton of footage that I need to work through but I'll put up the 3/4 laps we ran together at some point.

I only got into the high 2:37s for the weekend but was a freaking blast. Hope to see you out there again sometime.
Too many E46s, not sure which one you were, lol. But thanks! "Only" 2:37, lol, get out of here, any sub 2:40 time at RA is pretty impressive for a street car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #1416
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@NL View Post
The bottom line is that all of us in this thread are a special kind of f*cked up that have an addiction to tracking that nobody in their right minds could possibly understand.
I think it takes a special kind of f***ed up to track a X1

I bet some of the clubs probably give you trouble for bringing that thing to the track. I know most of the chassis is identical to E9x, but isn't it technically a SUV?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #1417
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

what the fuck happened to the laptimes? what is all this other discussion?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #1418
noLimits Enterprises
Rep

Agreed! But I think what is happening is that the cold weather is coming for those of us not blessed enough to live in California, land of the perpetual track season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufty
With NASA this weekend (VIR). Have a villa by the esses if anyone of you need safe storage. A bunch of us from DC are heading there.

Lutfy
Thanks, I am trying to decide if I have one more event in me this year. Never been to VIR before but it is a long haul and on my bucket list so trying to see if I will know anyone there before I decide. I have a couple of friends from the area that might go but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #1419
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
I think it takes a special kind of f***ed up to track a X1

I bet some of the clubs probably give you trouble for bringing that thing to the track. I know most of the chassis is identical to E9x, but isn't it technically a SUV?
On the instructors' email prior to one of the events here I asked if that "Colorado" was right? Yep. Some dude brought one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #1420
noLimits Enterprises
Rep

Is that a spoiler on the back?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #1421
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noLimits Enterprises View Post
Is that a spoiler on the back?
yup, front AND back.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #1422
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

E92 M3 DTC
Track/Course: Pittsburgh International Race Complex- Full Course
Best Lap Time: 2:13:79
Brake Pads: Hawk Street/Race
Tires (Size & Model): PS2's
Suspension: Oem
Other Mods: See Sig

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #1423
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And you are horribly out of touch and uninformed with basic engine tuning... But I won't waste my time educating you on this matter if you are so convinced that you are right about your understanding of N54.
I know this cat fight was over last week, but it still left me unsatisfied with how much you need to know about life tracking the N54 from me. If you're interested, I would like to go into detail, and explain to you some of the issues you'll face as you continue to track this vehicle. For instance when it comes to tuning, are you aware of the fact that the vehicle is programed with a PID algorithm?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #1424
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012
Quote:
And you are horribly out of touch and uninformed with basic engine tuning... But I won't waste my time educating you on this matter if you are so convinced that you are right about your understanding of N54.
I know this cat fight was over last week, but it still left me unsatisfied with how much you need to know about life tracking the N54 from me. If you're interested, I would like to go into detail, and explain to you some of the issues you'll face as you continue to track this vehicle. For instance when it comes to tuning, are you aware of the fact that the vehicle is programed with a PID algorithm?
No need to further derail this thread and honestly no one is interested in hearing any "advice" from you either. Considering everyone else is having much better success with their car than you with your 335i

But just let you know. Your understanding of PID is also misinformed as well. Without getting too technical for you, PID is a very basic algorithm that controls things as simple as the thermostats of your AC at home to industrial scale chemical reactors. It is safe to say any modern vehicle with a ECU utilize some sort of PID controls.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #1425
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No need to further derail this thread and honestly no one is interested in hearing any "advice" from you either. Considering everyone else is having much better success with their car than you with your 335i
The last guy to argue with me about this (Cadaver25) on this topic, kept going back and forth with me about it. Just read the track section on E90post, which I'm sure a "successful guy" like you doesn't even use. Cadaver25 posted: "Don't listen to this guy. I just can back from a track day, and the car ran great. Have faith guys, she can do it." A week later, I got the M3, and posted my farewell. He saw it, and sold his car, and got a porsche, and started using it for the track.

Quote:
But just let you know. Your understanding of PID is also misinformed as well. Without getting too technical for you, PID is a very basic algorithm that controls things as simple as the thermostats of your AC at home to industrial scale chemical reactors. It is safe to say any modern vehicle with a ECU utilize some sort of PID controls.
So you know how to use google? Good. The 335I's boost control is programmed using a PID algorithm. But based on your snotty response, I'll just keep quiet, and let the car own you.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #1426
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012
Quote:
The last guy to argue with me about this (Cadaver25) on this topic, kept going back and forth with me about it. Just read the track section on E90post, which I'm sure a "successful guy" like you doesn't even use. Cadaver25 posted: "Don't listen to this guy. I just can back from a track day, and the car ran great. Have faith guys, she can do it." A week later, I got the M3, and posted my farewell. He saw it, and sold his car, and got a porsche, and started using it for the track.

Quote:
So you know how to use google? Good. The 335I's boost control is programmed using a PID algorithm. But based on your snotty response, I'll just keep quiet, and let the car own you.
No offense, do you even know what PID stands for? I honestly don't expect you to know how it works given that you think PID is something that needs to avoided like plague. Good luck on finding a car that doesn't uses PID.

If you want a technical discussion of the merit of each engine and the different driving style requires to get the most out of each, that's fine and such is the purpose of this thread after all. But judging from your response, this is just a piss match that you are trying to win whatever ways you can. And really, I find it hilarious that "an expert" and "pioneer" like you insists on the importance of power mods, while still running awful street tires and sub standard and even stock brake pads on heavy and powerful cars like ours.

I am done replying to you here. Try to find me on the track next time, would love to hear your "expert" advice face to face.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #1427
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Car: F80 6spd manual
Track: VIR Full
Best Lap time: 2:06.6 (Harry's Laptimer)
Tires: OEM 19's RE71R 255/275
Brakes: pagid rs 29
Suspension: HR Springs. Stock front alignment, bars and shocks.
Engine: DP, stock tune and exhaust.

New M3s are F ing amazing. MUCH easier to put the power down (even with more torque), hardly any understeer with stock camber from factory unlike our cars, lighter, more nimble and stock brakes (feel) are almost as good as my 911. BMW has this car done RIGHT! Realize this is an E9X forum but delta between E46 and E9X seemed profound. This is equally impressive if not more. Not getting a 991S anymore

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #1428
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:

New M3s are F ing amazing. MUCH easier to put the power down (even with more torque), hardly any understeer with stock camber from factory unlike our cars, lighter, more nimble and stock brakes (feel) are almost as good as my 911. BMW has this car done RIGHT! Realize this is an E9X forum but delta between E46 and E9X seemed profound. This is equally impressive if not more. Not getting a 991S anymore

Dunno bout all that. E9X times from my local tracks are consistently faster than F8X times.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #1429
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy

The lateral g you generate from those RE71R is pretty amazing!

Lufty, seems like you have some extensive experience with 911 as well. Just wondering which generations have you driven at the track and how do they compare to e9x and f8x.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #1430
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 white, long list

Quote:

Great lines! If you don't mind please post your lap in Harry's Laptimer by using the 'challenge' option. This way I can load and side by side compare to my best lap. Much appreciated!
Thanks!