BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

09-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

2 day M school vs local option help me decide

Hi there. I purchased my M3 during the promotion where they offered a free 1 day M school. I have an option of upgrading it to the 2 day school which will be an additional $1445 (including the BMWCCA club card 15% discount). If I do go, I think I would rather pay the extra amount to get more than just the basics that the 1 day goes over. Included in the 2 day is a helmet (which I hear is pretty basic) which you get to keep and a bmw jacket which isn't offered in the 1 day school. If you factor in airfare which is about $360 dollars from Orange County to North Carolina I'm looking at about $1800 dollars for the experience.

My question is, if anyone with track/school experience can tell me if it would be a better choice to spend the $1800 on local tracking schools around here and buy my own helmet or do the 2 day M school? After the M 2 day school will I be able to show up at any track and start racing?

Obvious benefits of the M 2 day school is I get to beat up on a car that's not mine and take it to the limits. Their school also seems like a good amount of time with your own instructor/ follow the leader type of learning. I'm under the impression they have a pretty nice track/skid pad also. Thanks in advance.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
BMW school= Great Deal!

Well, you have to factor in that you are using someone elses car that is insured in case anything unfortunate was to occur. The brakes, tires, fuel, tranny, etc....ALL included! I did the one day with my brother and wished we had upgraded to the 2 day. I think it is a good starter course but it's more than just the time spent on the track. It's kinda that whole BMW experience you get to enjoy. The factory tour is pretty cool as well. Don't underestimate the schools instructors, they are knowledgeable, experienced, extremeley professional and most importantly they are nice. No arrogance there, regardless of your previous track experience. $1500 for the 2-day? I don't see how BMW makes any money on that?
      09-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep

Well it's because I got the free one day for buying the M3 during that period. They're using the cost of the 1 day towards the 2 day.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

First, I will state flat out the experience at the M School is very rewarding in that it provides a very good basis to build upon. Beginning with an understanding of what makes the car turn, stop, and how you position yourself in the car provides a good starting foundation for future learning. Now, is the additional money worth the additional day, that is subjective and difficult to say. However, I favor investing the $1800 in local HPDE sessions, with an instructor in the car. In my area as an example, at $375 to $400 per event, give or take, you get a two day school with driving and classroom instruction - thats at least 8 days on a track with an instructor. Better than 1 addtional day at M School. You should prepare yourself - You will not be ready to race with such little experience than you above represents. After HPDE, race school would be your next level.
Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy yourself.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Do the two-day M-school. That helmet is NOT basic. I paid over $400 for one, after the BMW-CCA discount. The helmet quality and graphics quality are both top shelf. ( I went to the Advanced M-School at VIR, where the helmet is NOT part of the deal). There's not a better open face helmet available, if that's what you want. Using their cars is worth a lot.

If you decide to go further, then you'll need more track time and HPDE will be a good choice. NO two-day school is going to have you performing to your potential, since you need both good instruction and track time to get there.

Dave
      09-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
However, I favor investing the $1800 in local HPDE sessions, with an instructor in the car. In my area as an example, at $375 to $400 per event, give or take, you get a two day school with driving and classroom instruction - thats at least 8 days on a track with an instructor. Better than 1 addtional day at M School. You should prepare yourself - You will not be ready to race with such little experience than you above represents.
+1

Not only that if you really want to race your E9x then there's a lot of safety requirements that you car must meet, the most expensive of which is a full roll cage and fire system. However if you really meant to ask if you can show up at any HPDE after that, then all you need is a helmet and long pants and your car in stock form.

HPDE is a better buy for your money IMHO.
      09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
sard
Major
Rep

Can anyone recommend HPDE schools for someone in Orange County? Also my goal isn't to be hardcore about this. I just want to go to a track and have some fun, but have the skills necessary to be pretty good and know all the rules.

Last edited by sard; 09-18-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I've done BMWCCA HPDEs and the one day M school. The M school lets you push your limits a bit deeper without any worries. This is great for learning the new chassis. The M school experience also feels more like an amusement park for the driving enthusiast. It's a different feel from the traditional track weekend. I'd recommend doing both.

For a local event, if you've never gone, try one hosted by the BMWCCA. The drivers will be able to give you more insight on your particular car's characteristics. You'll be better prepared when you go off on your own to an open track day with firms such as Redline, Speedtrial, etc. Have fun and be safe!

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Can anyone recommend HPDE schools for someone in Orange County? Also my goal isn't to be hardcore about this. I just want to go to a track and have some fun, but have the skills necessary to be pretty good and know all the rules.

Try BMWCCA.org

or go to

motorsportsreg.com
      09-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
sard
Major
Rep

*update, it's 1700 dollars to upgrade, the lady on the phone i talked to already figured in the 15% bmwcca discount. I think i'm gonna have to skip this as with air fare it will be 2 thousand dollars.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I highly recommend doing the one-day at the very least. This will benefit you greatly since you have no track experience at the moment. You'll thank me later.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This will benefit you greatly since you have no track experience at the moment.
I am sorry, and I do not wish to create a problem, but I humbly disagree. Any accredited HPDE event hosted by BMWCCA, or other organizations, such as Mazda, PCA, Corvette, or independents such as TrackDAz, etc, can and do offer very good instruction in how to drive/track you car. The BMW Performance School, while good with expert instruction, is geared to their cars, i.e. BMW, and favors highlighting the plus of the BMW experience. I am not saying this is bad, but only pointing out the commercial aspect of the experience (which by the way I highly favor). Now, participating in a HPDE school provides one with instruction in and out of the car - your car, your seat. Track time is allocated according to the applicates skill level, and is conducted in the population of similar skill levels. Thus, track time is porpotionate to ones ability to absorbe the instruction offered. Simply sitting in a car while a professional driver demonstrates the pluses and minuses is not the end all to what you are paying for. I urge you to sign up for a HPDE event near you, one that is recognized by the club enviorment in your area. Experience driving your car at levels beyond normal street conditions. Learn real quickly what you can do, and more importantly, what you cannot do. I think that you will get the biggest bang for your buck should you choose this opportunity. Which, or what ever you do, it will not be wrong. Its only money.

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Sard, join the CCA. http://www.bmwclubla.org/
If you do, I would appreciate a referral for a free month of membership: 193762
If you get the credit card, you could have a pic of your sweet ride on the card!

It's a GREAT experience. The next track event is at Willow Springs, which is a little far away. They also have AAA Speedway once a year, which is close enough to drive there a back for both days. The instructors are really cool and will help you learn. You'll be in groups with similar skill level. As my friend put it last time out, "this is too fun not to do."

I did a one day M school at AAA Speedway when they came out West one year. It was fun, but I really didn't learn anything compared to having an instructor IN THE CAR with you, like the CCA has. It was $550 for both days. I wouldn't worry about tires or brakes when you're starting out. You just won't be going that fast. Now after a couple weekends, you'll start eating up tires, but that just gives you an excuse to get track wheels/tires.

There's also some track class at El Toro, but it's a lot more money. I don't know much about it. I'll try to find more info on it.

You can get a helmet here: http://www.extremesupply.com/ They have a huge selection that they can pull out for you. I got a Bell for $250 there slightly blemished. They sell mainly new stuff, but the only problem with mine was one of the vents on top doesn't close to I save about $75.

Or just check the Bell website for a local dealer: http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...ler/locator/5/
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
sard
Major
Rep

Thanks so much for the help guys. I have a few more days to think it over before I can cancel the M school that i'm booked for on october 13-15

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's the OC track event at El Toro.

http://www.ocracecraft.com/index.php...task=cat.liste
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Here's the OC track event at El Toro.

http://www.ocracecraft.com/index.php...task=cat.liste
i was planing to go this one too...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Let us know how it goes. It's TWICE as much as a CCA event, but it's close.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

I would like to know also, and what your opinion was. Thanks
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I would have just did a couple of local HPDEs and then went to the 1 day M school.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0