BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I agree with the others on here re: use the M3 as a DD. It is a great car and IMO the best performance oriented daily drivable car out there. It is not a Ferrari or some exotic. I've tried every scenario imaginable from trying to DD a 997S to thinking an M5 would cure my DD performance itch to driving my beater ('04 4runner) as my DD and driving a 997 Turbo on weekends. The best thing that has worked for me is DD'ing the M3. It is perfect. The M3 has plenty of performance (not saying a SC wouldn't be awesome) but a beater with AWD for crappy weather and to haul the dog would be a much better choice IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #46
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Get a fun beater. For a few thousand bucks you can find very well-preserved old 3 series coupes that still run like UDMs. I have one (a '79 323 Euro) and I drive it like I stole it. Maintenance is about $500 a year, and it turns heads.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #47
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu View Post
I too don't understand why people say the car is meant to be driven, why did you buy it if you don't drive it blah blah, you probably can't afford it if you don't drive it

I do drive the car, and just because I want to take care of it and put less miles on it if I can doesn't mean I am babying it. I take it out on the weekends and smash it to 8400 rpm going to get milk. People should take into account also the areas where you might go on a daily basis for work. I commute into downtown LA everyday and that is somewhere I do not want to leave ANY car, let alone my M3.

I have a lifted FJ as a beater and it's awesome just running over fat dips or literally going over curbs for the hell of it!
are you in the fashion district by any chance??
      11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #48
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
I just had a VF540 supercharger installed 2 weeks ago. The car has come alive and I don't remember what it was like before I got it. Its fun as hell and you don't need bigger brakes. I do have bigger wheels/tires though and still lose traction from a dead stop. However on the roll it holds the road and pins you to the back of your seat. Before I had the supercharger I would always make excuses why I don't need one - "the car is powerful enough without it", blah blah blah. Boy was I wrong. With the supercharger the car has come to life, and its very driveable normally as well.

On the other hand I already have a daily driver aside from the M3 so I can go back and forth if need be. With that being said I find myself driving the M3 a lot more now that its supercharged - its just too damn fun! That's my 2 cents having both perspectives.
U definitely did not help te situation .lol. Sc the m for around 8000 and get a civic for a 1000 for those snowy days. Win win. Situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #49
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
U definitely did not help te situation .lol. Sc the m for around 8000 and get a civic for a 1000 for those snowy days. Win win. Situation.
LOL. Figured he should know it from all the way around. And yes, if he wants a true beater buy the supercharger and then buy a cheap civic for $1k. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
are you in the fashion district by any chance??
Nope, financial district.

Anyways, I guess it really boils down to how you treat your belongings. +1 here for a beater. Get a japanese truck/suv like me, great for hauling loads of crap, bad weather, etc.

Or get a used e30, compact if mpg is your concern!
Appreciate 0