BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

DEENAN Stage 3 suspension question

hello all,

I got Dinan Stage 3 suspension on my car. However, I don't think the drop is significant. In fact it looks almost stock.

has anyone kept all the parts minus the springs? Should i switch it out with some other springs to get the car a bit lowered? or just leave as is and drive it like a 4x4.

Gracias.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not quite sure what to make of this. Stock what? The Dinan Stage III provides roughly a 1/2" drop from the stock, non-comp package suspension. If your car is a comp package car, there will be no drop with the Dinan springs. What you will have, however, is increased suspension travel due to the shortened bump stops and therefore better handling, whether on the street or the track. The whole idea behind the Dinan setup is that it provides a subtle decrease in ride height, flatter cornering, and improved handling due to the fact that the suspension travel is actually increased over stock. Most spring kits just provide shorter springs for aesthetic improvement, but decrease suspension travel as a result and actually lead to worse handling. Some people probably ride around on their bump stops in order to get that "slammed" look. The Dinan setup is most appropriate for those people looking for real handling improvements without being obsessed with the "look."
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Not quite sure what to make of this. Stock what? The Dinan Stage III provides roughly a 1/2" drop from the stock, non-comp package suspension. If your car is a comp package car, there will be no drop with the Dinan springs. What you will have, however, is increased suspension travel due to the shortened bump stops and therefore better handling, whether on the street or the track. The whole idea behind the Dinan setup is that it provides a subtle decrease in ride height, flatter cornering, and improved handling due to the fact that the suspension travel is actually increased over stock. Most spring kits just provide shorter springs for aesthetic improvement, but decrease suspension travel as a result and actually lead to worse handling. Some people probably ride around on their bump stops in order to get that "slammed" look. The Dinan setup is most appropriate for those people looking for real handling improvements without being obsessed with the "look."
Maybe I have this wrong, but I thought that the suspension travel was initially decreased by the shorter springs (1/2" lower) but made up for by a shorter E36-type bumpstops that ultimately restored the suspension travel back to stock distance, not actually increasing it. No?

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

According to dinan it is increased.
Dinan's Stage 1 Suspension System provides greater control over body roll by virtue of carefully calibrated spring rates designed to work in conjunction with the original-equipment standard or EDC shocks and struts. Dinan lowers the M3 by 1/2"" front and rear for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. Matching bump stops and replacement front guide supports are included that actually increase suspension travel by 7mm (on top of the 3 mm already added to EDC equipped cars) for improved handling capabilities along with surprisingly civilized ride quality. The higher spring rates, increased suspension travel and improved suspension geometry give the M3 even more grip for faster and more predictable cornering capabilities. All of the EDC system features are maintained for cars equipped with the option.
      03-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

^^ Yeah, that's a direct quote from Dinan's ad, not sure if I buy into the misleading semantics.

From JAJs sticky on front suspensions,
"The Dinan kit dodges this bullet with two important design choices: First it limits the drop to about ½ inch. Second, it increases the suspension travel (at the front) by the same amount, keeping the same travel as stock. Travel remains the same as stock, rates are slightly higher (I’m guessing) and overall the performance of the suspension doesn’t change that much."

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

One thing that differs between stg 3 and regular lowering springs is that with the camber plates the front is only lowered 1/4 inch so with the "higher" drop than stage one without believe that travel is actually increased whereas with the stg 1 it remains the same. At least that's my take on it, but not here to argue, love my suspension