BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Good place to buy OE Tuning Flash tool?

Obviously the ability to revert to stock, do reflashes, account for incremental upgrades is appealing. So I'm wondering what the best place to buy that EzFlash tool is...

Thanks!

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Why not from OE Tuning?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

what is EZflash?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Why not from OE Tuning?
Get it from OE! Thats were i got mine from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Obviously the ability to revert to stock, do reflashes, account for incremental upgrades is appealing. So I'm wondering what the best place to buy that EzFlash tool is...

Thanks!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Why not from OE Tuning?
Price, local support in a physical shop etc. Just wondering...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Thanks!
Just make sure you know what it is you're buying. Last time I checked (about 2 months ago), the EZ Flash could not defeat the anti-tuning software that BMW has in the ECU. As such, if the dealer ever over-writes your tune with new BMW software, the EZ Flash will not let you load your old DME to the ECU. Rather, you will first have to take your ECU to someone who can "unlock" it, then the EZ Flash will work.

I initially thought that the EZ Flash would be perfect for me since I am supercharged. As I understand it, most of the software updates done by BMW must overwrite all the software in the ECU (including the DME) for it to work. It would be great to have an EZ Flash that I could simply plug in to the OBD port after the dealer is finished with the car and restore the DME for my supercharger, but unfortunately, OE Tuning confirmed to me that the EZ Flash will not work until the ECU is unlocked.

This, for me, makes the EZ Flash largely useless. If they ever develop it such that it can defeat the anti-tuning software, then it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Man View Post
Just make sure you know what it is you're buying. Last time I checked (about 2 months ago), the EZ Flash could not defeat the anti-tuning software that BMW has in the ECU. As such, if the dealer ever over-writes your tune with new BMW software, the EZ Flash will not let you load your old DME to the ECU. Rather, you will first have to take your ECU to someone who can "unlock" it, then the EZ Flash will work.

I initially thought that the EZ Flash would be perfect for me since I am supercharged. As I understand it, most of the software updates done by BMW must overwrite all the software in the ECU (including the DME) for it to work. It would be great to have an EZ Flash that I could simply plug in to the OBD port after the dealer is finished with the car and restore the DME for my supercharger, but unfortunately, OE Tuning confirmed to me that the EZ Flash will not work until the ECU is unlocked.

This, for me, makes the EZ Flash largely useless. If they ever develop it such that it can defeat the anti-tuning software, then it would be great.
That's good info, didn't know that... Thanks!

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

"Tuner proof DME's" were new 2011 deliveries or anything reflashed/reprogrammed by BMW after April 2010. If your car does not fall into this category you are all set. If it is, it will need to be sent in to be unlocked first.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
The dealers in my area say it's mandatory to reflash every car that comes in for service -- even for something as mundane as an oil change. They've been doing this for at least the past six months. So the actual numbers of cars with locked ECU's may be very high -- maybe as high as 25% or more.

It would be really interesting to know if this was some type of edict from BMWNA -- and whether all dealers are under the same orders...and doing the same thing.
That is disturbing to hear PG. If true, this will play a role in quest for ecu tune.
      11-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
The dealers in my area say it's mandatory to reflash every car that comes in for service -- even for something as mundane as an oil change. They've been doing this for at least the past six months. So the actual numbers of cars with locked ECU's may be very high -- maybe as high as 25% or more.

It would be really interesting to know if this was some type of edict from BMWNA -- and whether all dealers are under the same orders...and doing the same thing.
I too am concerned about this, seems like a future ECU tune is more trouble than its worth unless you service your own car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So if your ECU is locked, the flash won't work, correct? It won't disable the car or anything drastic?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

My SA told me in September that they were ordered to flash every e9x M3 that came in for service before releasing the car to the customer. I saw the memo.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Due to this thread I inquired and was told the protocol is cracked to ezflash tuner locked dme's and will be released after the new OE facility is finished. Guess it's only a matter of time
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Marvelous
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 m3

Quote:

Great....I just put a deposit down for the ess tune. ESS only gives you one free reflash. If my local dealer is going to be doing this than there is no point in getting a tune. My SA is too 'buy the book' for me to want to deal with this issue. And driving to San Jose for an oil change would be a big pain in the ass.

Here's a quick example how my SA operates. I asked him about possibly voiding my warranty if I installed an exhaust and this is what he said.

"To answer your question, I would need to know what your brand of equipment you are installing. If it is not a BMW performance accessories or Dinan parts, you run the risk of voiding the warranty on any parts involved with the exhaust system. For example, if the exhaust system you are installing causes internal damage to your valves due to improper back flow pressure, then warranty would not cover any repairs."

GODDAMNIT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

Why would the dealer reflash a car that's taken in to regular service? I was told it takes hours to reflash the car. I leave my car overnight at the dealers to be reflashed at times.

off topic but, when the dealer reflashes my car, will the coded FRM2(for LCI tails) module be reflashed as well? I recall every module in the car gets reflashed when a dealer does one.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous View Post

"To answer your question, I would need to know what your brand of equipment you are installing. If it is not a BMW performance accessories or Dinan parts, you run the risk of voiding the warranty on any parts involved with the exhaust system. For example, if the exhaust system you are installing causes internal damage to your valves due to improper back flow pressure, then warranty would not cover any repairs."
Is that even possible? Can the valves really get damaged due to improper back flow pressure?? I was under the impression that adding an axle back doesn't have any effect- maybe with a full system but not just axle back?
      11-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Marvelous
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 m3

^I think the SA may be exaggerating a bit. imo
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Mostly he's covering his behind - although even my more adventurous SA told me BMW is tightening the noose. If you throw a muffler on the car there is no way in hell they can void your warranty - but if you show up with a full catless exhaust or some other wild engineering... be on your toes.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Why would the dealer reflash a car that's taken in to regular service? I was told it takes hours to reflash the car. I leave my car overnight at the dealers to be reflashed at times.

off topic but, when the dealer reflashes my car, will the coded FRM2(for LCI tails) module be reflashed as well? I recall every module in the car gets reflashed when a dealer does one.

Yep, this won't happen unless there is a mandatory recall out there for an oil change visit. There is too much time, effort, and "brick-ability" for reflashing for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I have one for my 335i and Jeremy assured me I was good to go. Told me that if I get a reflash from the dealer, the EZflash can read it and I can email it to him, he'll retune using the new DME and email back to me.

He flashed it for me in person, checked the EZflash and it worked great. Two months later now I need service and can't get it to work. Been trying to get help but no answer yet.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Be careful with oe everyone. GL
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post

Only modules that are called upon for updating/reprogramming are affected - the FRM2 would likely be wiped since it carries the vehicle order (VO).

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0