BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

A salutation to the M3 part 2, exit stage left

Have close to 2500 miles on a 09 Cayman S. Bought it because I had a very weak moment and found myself buried up to my eyeballs in an incredible deal that I didn't have the guts to get out of. The car computer says I am averaging 25.4 mpg so far. Most of those miles were acquired driving through beautiful hill country in the great state of Texas where the car was purchased. Yes, Texas is big and the barbecue is to die for.

Very few 09 Caymans are fitted with the new factory LSD; rare indeed, especially in combination with a 6MT. I made sure the car I bought had one and Texas was the State with one. The additional 25 ponies + LSD pushes this car to world class driving levels. The key is the low weight and and low mid engine placement. The limits are so high on this car that it makes novice drivers falsely believe they have talent in short order.

By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption. I thought I could hide the car in my garage but security has been breached and rumors continue to leak at higher than expected levels. Amazing how far stereotypes can stretch on an extremely overpriced car with German origins and a fancy name. The Accord is attention and drama free and has been genius from a financial stand point. Not a shabby driver either, with it's low weight, free revving motor, and slick shifter.

Still a member of BMWCCA and plan on keeping it that way. That is, unless I see X6 M yacht owners show up making the claim they bought it because they wanted the ultimate driving machine. And for Porsche owners, I hate to break it to you but there are excellent substitutes including every itineration of the M3. The M3 picture in my office remains my favorite piece of automotive memorabilia.
      08-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

So, you don't have the M anymore? +1 on the Cayman. Incredible car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I'm glad you are enjoying the Cayman. My dad had a base model and it was fun to drive but definitely needed the extra ponies the S offers. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, but my wife is against the idea of strapping my two boy's car seats to the roof.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Congrats ruff. I don't want to brag, but I always told you this would be the right car for you.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

I've never driven a Cayman S, how would you compare the M3 with the Cayman S?
I think the Cayman body style is sexy, way nicer looking than the 911. Post some pics
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

I have driven the 911 4S and was left unimpressed. I do not like small sports cars that feel like a kart. It is great on a race track with lots of twists but feels like you are doing so much work behind the wheel all the time. Even the 135i is too small for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

No offense, but the Cayman looks like a bug. It is also very cramped in there. The performance is not even close to the M3, unless it will be tracked all the time. The looks critique is just my opinion and will probably be in the minority.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I've never driven a Cayman S, how would you compare the M3 with the Cayman S?
I'd be interested in the comparason as well. That would be interesting.

Congrutulations btw.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
panbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 6mt

very enjoyable car!! congrats & enjoy it in good health
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Have close to 2500 miles on a 09 Cayman S. Bought it because I had a very weak moment and found myself buried up to my eyeballs in an incredible deal that I didn't have the guts to get out of. The car computer says I am averaging 25.4 mpg so far. Most of those miles were acquired driving through beautiful hill country in the great state of Texas where the car was purchased. Yes, Texas is big and the barbecue is to die for.

Very few 09 Caymans are fitted with the new factory LSD; rare indeed, especially in combination with a 6MT. I made sure the car I bought had one and Texas was the State with one. The additional 25 ponies + LSD pushes this car to world class driving levels. The key is the low weight and and low mid engine placement. The limits are so high on this car that it makes novice drivers falsely believe they have talent in short order.

By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption. I thought I could hide the car in my garage but security has been breached and rumors continue to leak at higher than expected levels. Amazing how far stereotypes can stretch on an extremely overpriced car with German origins and a fancy name. The Accord is attention and drama free and has been genius from a financial stand point. Not a shabby driver either, with it's low weight, free revving motor, and slick shifter.

Still a member of BMWCCA and plan on keeping it that way. That is, unless I see X6 M yacht owners show up making the claim they bought it because they wanted the ultimate driving machine. And for Porsche owners, I hate to break it to you but there are excellent substitutes including every itineration of the M3. The M3 picture in my office remains my favorite piece of automotive memorabilia.
Thanks ruff - great overview - I have a lot of respect for Porsche and totally agree with your comments about the kind of car it truly is... in concert with the bad side of cost/image associated.

That being said - I have a lot of respect for you and your considerations (and taste!) when it comes to the ///M - it would be easy for you to say one is better than the other - instead you sound like a true engineer and appreciate the benefits and nature and outcomes of the vehicles side-by-side.

Kudos on the car.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats Ruff, so glad to hear you finally purchased a wonderful car. Enjoy it to the fullest.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'd be interested in the comparason as well. That would be interesting.

Congrutulations btw.
I've had both, they are totally different cars. What would you like to know? I made a recent post on this in another thread. Post #44 here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=289143&page=2
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
I've had both, they are totally different cars. What would you like to know? I made a recent post on this in another thread. Post #44 here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=289143&page=2
That thread (and your post) pretty much covered the bases...thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption.
That was very elegantly said Ruff. Felt the same way when I was looking at some 911s before I brought the m3. Its really really overpriced for what it is (but yes, they are great cars).

I think thats why Porsche is in the position it is in now, there isn't enough wall street bonus babies around to pay those ridiculous asking prices from the p-car dealers.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

very nice write-up ruff. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Congrats ruff, you have possibly bought the best Porsche available today (price calculated in) and thus the best sportscar PERIOD.

Yes Porsches are dear when you look at what you get in outright performance compared to the M3 but there is a certain kudos with driving a Porsche that you don't get with an M3 (some might prefer it that way) and what it may lack in outright acceleration it more than makes up for it the quality of every major control you happen to lay your hand on and how it actually behaves around the limit. I reckon that excellence comes at a price and the nearer you go to that pinnacle the more expensive each single gain becomes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
That was very elegantly said Ruff. Felt the same way when I was looking at some 911s before I brought the m3. Its really really overpriced for what it is (but yes, they are great cars).

I think thats why Porsche is in the position it is in now, there isn't enough wall street bonus babies around to pay those ridiculous asking prices from the p-car dealers.
What car ISN'T overpriced for what it really is? You think the M3 is priced "fairly"? It costs less, but one can also say it's overpriced. If you are looking for good "values", don't look at cars - sports cars especially. Or buy used.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
What car ISN'T overpriced for what it really is? You think the M3 is priced "fairly"? It costs less, but one can also say it's overpriced. If you are looking for good "values", don't look at cars - sports cars especially. Or buy used.
precisely

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
so true, but what is life without fun? they got us good, that's all I can say.

women and shopping / men and cars..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
I have driven the 911 4S and was left unimpressed. I do not like small sports cars that feel like a kart. It is great on a race track with lots of twists but feels like you are doing so much work behind the wheel all the time. Even the 135i is too small for my liking.
man ,then I have to suggest the mini cooper to you, also is the smart car, fun as hell, then there is the ...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
bonk55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sport

Alpine loop

Rumor has it that someone in a new Cayman S was seen smokin everything in site around the Alpine Loop during the BMW rally...surely that wouldn't have been you...or would it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

There is no indication that this particular car was equipped with an optional LSD, possibly leading to the understeer comments by Pobst. IMO, an LSD is the must have option to extract the full potential of Cayman's world class chassis. Most people who own or have driven Caymans have never piloted one with an LSD. The PDK, though efficiently fast, adds 55 lbs of pork, pushing the car's mass past the critical 3 k barrier. Mass and cornering speed are forever mortal enemies.