BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

09-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Anyone with these pedals?

Hi, I bought these pedals from my dealer, as they were my favorite ones, and installed them but now realized after inspecting them that the metal trim on the brake and cluth pedal doesnt fully fit the rubber, ie its too small or tight. If I can get one side of the steel trim in the rubber grooves the other side will not go in - essentially, if you look at the picture below, the trim is up on one side and cutting into the rubber, i took the trim off, so i cant take a picture... I assume this is a defect- or were the just ridiculously hard to put together, as now i took the metal trim completely off (except gas) because i cant get it to fit on at all now. Really frustrating for 200$ pedals from Bmw - spoke to the dealer, just said to come in and show them but its a pain.
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Sorry to be a monday morning quarterback, but IMO if you wanted OEM BMW pedals, you should have gone with these instead:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...44&postcount=2

Hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction!
      09-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Sorry to be a monday morning quarterback, but IMO if you wanted OEM BMW pedals, you should have gone with these instead:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...44&postcount=2

Hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction!
No problem, considered those but dont really love them. I prefer the ultimate pedals to those. Just want to know whether i am an idiot that cant align trim into rubber grooves or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes they are extremely tight to install. 30-45 minutes but they did go on.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I have them and they come like that. Very easy to install. The clutch and brake just slip on. And the throttle is plug and play.
      09-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
I have them and they come like that. Very easy to install. The clutch and brake just slip on. And the throttle is plug and play.
ok thanks, but maybe i wasnt clear, i have the pedals all installed, but the metal trim over the rubber pedals on the brake and clutch dont seem to go on properly..............? i cant get the damn things to get on properly...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Yes they are extremely tight to install. 30-45 minutes but they did go on.
the trim pieces right?> if so i will try again, any hints, i tried putting the pedals on then the trim on the installed pedals, no luck. tried the opposite still no luck..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Hahaha- I have same pedals.
It's very tight so I gave up 45 mins later at the 1st attempt.
Then I read E90Post DIY. And learn that it's eaiser to use some sort of lube.
So I used a bit of WD40 and it was very easy at the 2nd attempt.

What I assume is that while you're stretching and installing, you may stainless steel piece may came out from the tight rubber. You have no way to put stainless steel piece and rubber piece to together AFTER you install the pedals.
You'll need to take your pedals off (don't worry- with WD40, it's really easy. Make sure to put bottom first then slide up to the top). Fix it. Then put back on.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Hahaha- I have same pedals.
It's very tight so I gave up 45 mins later at the 1st attempt.
Then I read E90Post DIY. And learn that it's eaiser to use some sort of lube.
So I used a bit of WD40 and it was very easy at the 2nd attempt.

What I assume is that while you're stretching and installing, you may stainless steel piece may came out from the tight rubber. You have no way to put stainless steel piece and rubber piece to together AFTER you install the pedals.
You'll need to take your pedals off (don't worry- with WD40, it's really easy. Make sure to put bottom first then slide up to the top). Fix it. Then put back on.
man, gonna attempt this tonight. so take them off, spray them with wd40 and the trim should go on them easier and they should be installed easier??
tonights experiment.

thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

still no luck getting the trim on to the pedal, going to dlr on tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
NKYBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Couple

I had the same problem. Soaked them in very hot water for a couple of minutes for fitting them. That loosened the rubber up enough to slip on. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Ok- so.. you guys problem is NOT installing the pedals but it's the issue with the rubber insert not perfectly fitting behind the stainless steel pedal piece. Right?

What I tried at the first attempt, I took rubber piece out of the stainless steel which was biggest mistake I made since it was PIA to put them back together.

BUT there is pretty simple way to put them back together.
1. If you have a small/skinny flat head screw driver (I bought it to install the side grill-it's more like the size you use open your laptop), you can fix it.

Whatever the spot/area rubber came off from the steel piece, use that small screw driver behind the rubber (where pedal suppose to slide/fit in) and carefully push it to fit in the steel piece. That rubber was pretty strong and it stretches a lot.

My case, I took whole piece off so it took a while to put all back in but it was straight forward process.

If you don't understand or still have issue, PM me your ph#. I'll call you.
Really, it's not that bad like your (and my) 1st attempt with WD-40 and small screw driver.

Keep us updated.

PS- I still had WD40 while I was stretching the rubber with screw driver (by accident). But at the end, that make it easy to slide screw driver instead of screw driver stuck behind the rubber.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0