BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #45
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Well there is an option in iDrive to enable audible confirmation (in addition to the turn indicator flashes) when the car is locked and the imobiliser is engaged . Secondly, when the imobiliser is engaged, there is a small red light flashing (hanging below the central mirror) so people know something is there! So even without an alarm, the engagement of the immobiliser sounds and flshes as if the car is alarmed.

Therefore I don't see why you need an alarm for the M3 and why my conclusions are wrong...
This is great----main reason for me to get the alarm was for above listed feastures but if I-Drive has this feature, think I will forgoe the alarm....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #46
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
how can you have audible confirmation without having a speaker/siren to make the noise? maybe our car specs are different, but my idrive never had that option until the alarm was coded, and my car didn't physically have that capability until the siren was installed in the wheel well.
Same here. That option was not available in the iDrive menu until the alarm was installed and the dealer reprogrammed the software. Even if you did have the software somehow updated without the alarm, how would you get the audible confirmation without the siren installed?
      02-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #47
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
This is great----main reason for me to get the alarm was for above listed feastures but if I-Drive has this feature, think I will forgoe the alarm....
You know that turned out to be wrong? You don't have audible confirmation without alarm. Also see my comments in the other thread you posted.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You know that turned out to be wrong? You don't have audible confirmation without alarm. Also see my comments in the other thread you posted.

Best regards, south
i did see your feedack - thanks- i guess may get the alarm after all
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #49
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Best regards, south

Hey South....its been more than a month since this last posting. I don't mean to challenge your expertise, but is there any new information on this at all? I'm in the unfortunate position where I ordered my 09 M3 right before the alarm became an option. Now, its past time to change my order to add the alarm. Feels like I'm stuck.

I'm ok with this if I still get the audible confirmation? or at least maybe get the red light on the rearview mirror?

What are my chances with no factory alarm?

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #50
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackos335 View Post
alarms? If it gets stolen, I'd rather get a new car.
agreed. i already want an 09,10,11,12. haha.
      04-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #51
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
Hey South....its been more than a month since this last posting. I don't mean to challenge your expertise, but is there any new information on this at all? I'm in the unfortunate position where I ordered my 09 M3 right before the alarm became an option. Now, its past time to change my order to add the alarm. Feels like I'm stuck.

I'm ok with this if I still get the audible confirmation? or at least maybe get the red light on the rearview mirror?

Are you sure your car is already being built? My understanding is that as of mid March, the alarm is a factory option only. They are not pre-wiring so that the dealer can add it later. I just got my change in before my car went 150 status. I am not sure if the factory installed alarm is exactly the same or a revised version. I don't know if they add the red nose if the alarm is not ordered. I will be at the Welt on Friday and will ask them.

It seems like there is a lot of confusion about the March changes.
      04-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #52
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Are you sure your car is already being built? My understanding is that as of mid March, the alarm is a factory option only. They are not pre-wiring so that the dealer can add it later. I just got my change in before my car went 150 status. I am not sure if the factory installed alarm is exactly the same or a revised version. I don't know if they add the red nose if the alarm is not ordered. I will be at the Welt on Friday and will ask them.

It seems like there is a lot of confusion about the March changes.
This alarm this has been a big pain in the arse for me! My car was ordered 3/23 and finished procuction on 4/9. When I ordered it, the alarm was not an option yet and my car went to 150 status before I could do anything (we changed a car already scheduled for production with my options...so 150 came quick). Dealership ensured me that it is coming prewired though. So, I demanded a quote for the install so that they wouldn't charge me any more if it didn't come prewired. Figured that was the best I could do right now. The alarm can be found on the accessories page on the BMWUSA site for $571. Initial quote including labor was over $900. I got them down some, but it's still costing way more than the now $400 option....bad timing huh.

Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #53
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ordered my M3 sedan in December for ED April 17th. It coincides with my kid's spring break. It also works out as far as missing the summer crowds in Europe. The other nice thing is redelivery should be early June.

Anyway, I thought I was all set until I saw this thread pop up in February. I couldn't figure out why they would no longer offer the alarm. I got my CA to add the factory alarm option the day before it went 150. I called him the next day to add the smoker's package in but it was too late and not possible. I don't smoke but didn't want an open plastic storage bin. It looks like we get the bin with a lid. At least the vert does so I assume it is accross all the models.

I can understand your frustration. I think you dealer should give you the alarm for the original factory price.

I owe it to this and another board to stay ahead of what my CA knows. Thanks

Last edited by JohnnyRoaster; 04-14-2009 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #54
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
This alarm this has been a big pain in the arse for me! My car was ordered 3/23 and finished procuction on 4/9. When I ordered it, the alarm was not an option yet and my car went to 150 status before I could do anything (we changed a car already scheduled for production with my options...so 150 came quick). Dealership ensured me that it is coming prewired though. So, I demanded a quote for the install so that they wouldn't charge me any more if it didn't come prewired. Figured that was the best I could do right now. The alarm can be found on the accessories page on the BMWUSA site for $571. Initial quote including labor was over $900. I got them down some, but it's still costing way more than the now $400 option....bad timing huh.
You need to go to another dealer, because that price is absurd. Install it yourself, and just pay for coding...should be a couple hundred bucks.
      04-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #55
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
You need to go to another dealer, because that price is absurd. Install it yourself, and just pay for coding...should be a couple hundred bucks.
I was thinking of installing it myself. I've seen the DIY on this forum, but it was on an older M3 and with a different alarm system ($300 one on BMW site). It looked easy enough and I'm sure it is a similar install...just haven't seen anyone else do it or post it yet. Most cars in my situation aren't here yet...still in transport.

Aren't there issues with warranty if the alarm isn't installed by the dealership? And how much is the coding of the alarm? I've read of several quotes from $100 to over $200. With coding, the part and tax i'm still close to around $800 already. Guess I haven't tried finding the part outside the dealership yet.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #56
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am not sure if they have changed the design of the alarm when it went to a factory option. My guess is it is the same and they elimited pre-wiring as a cost cutting measure.

You may be better off going with an aftermarket solution. The best thing about the factory alarm is it uses the same key fob.
      04-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #57
southlight
Rep

Quote:

Don't take it for granted, but I think you get neither audible confirmation nor the red light without alarm.

Any 09 M3 (w/o factory alarm) owners who can confirm or deny that?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #58
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I am not sure if they have changed the design of the alarm when it went to a factory option. My guess is it is the same and they elimited pre-wiring as a cost cutting measure.

You may be better off going with an aftermarket solution. The best thing about the factory alarm is it uses the same key fob.
That's my guess as well...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #59
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Don't take it for granted, but I think you get neither audible confirmation nor the red light without alarm.

Best regards, south
I can confirm that my '09 M3 sedan (build Sept 08) did not have the lock/unlock confirmation nor the clown nose blinking until after the OEM alarm was installed and coded. Also, only after the install did the meny option for the audible lock/unlock confirmation show up on iDrive.

I should also add that after a long trip through several countries here in Europe and parking in all kinds of good and bad spots, it has been very nice to have the confirmation of those chirps on locking (esp with CA) and the subtle warning to bystanders that there is an alarm in the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #60
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's my guess as well...
Makes the most sense. And also why I think if there's a MY10 update it will be modest at best.

Bad luck for those in the period just pre-transitioning from pre-wired and fully OEM installed option.

I have elected for the OEM option ...

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #61
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If future M3's come with an oem equipped alarm, they just fu*ked the shit out of 08 owners who got the i-drive 2.0 bullshit and no alarm. Anyways, I agree with the people who say they dont have the option to make audible chirps unless the siren is intalled. I got my alarm installed and coded, but my dealership (refer to service forums) hasn't upgraded the software so my i-drive doesn't even have the option.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #62
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW 'new" anti-theft alarm system...

now the M3 has a $400 option for this factory-installed....not sure if this is the same as the dealer installed BMW alarm or different... BMWUSA website does not describe it.....well no such option for my Jan 09 build so must be new....I was thinking of installing alarm but if anyone has any info this, please advise...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #63
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
now the M3 has a $400 option for this factory-installed....not sure if this is the same as the dealer installed BMW alarm or different... BMWUSA website does not describe it.....well no such option for my Jan 09 build so must be new....I was thinking of installing alarm but if anyone has any info this, please advise...
Merged your thread with the existing Alarm thread. Have a look at the posts in here, it seems to be the same system.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #64
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I'm happy one of the only options I ordered on my stripped M3 was the anti-theft alarm option for $400. Like many have said, it won't prevent theft, but it will go off if someone tries to break in......Unless they're a "mastermind" on deactivating the alarm system....?....

Last edited by Nawaaz; 07-04-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #65
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

So are you guys able to get the dealer to install this new alarm? I took my car in for the 1200 mile service and they said they were not able to install the alarm and it has to be done at the factory????

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #66
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:

Best regards, south
2009 E93 with an early March build.... no audible and no blinking clown nose without the alarm.

Since I am on the cusp of the alarm "switchover" (e-mail I got from the dealer had me in production by March 5th), does anyone have an actual VIN cut off or date of prodcution cut off for the pre-wire delete? Is there an easy physical way of actually checking the car to see if the pre-wiring is in place?

I had not really considered the alarm until getting sucked into this thread, but may add it as DIY with dealer programming (if they will do it....BigWindy, your experience?) if the pre-wiring is actually in place.

Thanks for any information!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0