BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Doru in Romania
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 525d xDrive

Ti vs. SS

Most of Ti exhausts are beautifully crafted. Most of SS so-so even I assume is more difficult working on Ti. Other than beautiful appearance and weight saving, what other reasons are leaning in favour of Ti when choosing an exhaust?
      05-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Mr_Z
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3

Ti will sound different than SS.

However, I still prefer SS over Ti because:

1) SS is easier to fix than Ti
2) If you live in an area that gets real cold than Ti can crack and then see reason #1.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
askiles
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

Looking at all of the Ti exhausts, I don't think they look nearly as good as some of the SS exhaust. On a lot of Ti exhausts, they do not bend the pipes, they simply create mitred joints to make bends. It is weird, and goes against the "free flowing" exhaust idea in my opinion. The exhaust tubing should slow nicely with smooth rounded bends when needed, and only if needed.

-Andy
      05-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
Looking at all of the Ti exhausts, I don't think they look nearly as good as some of the SS exhaust. On a lot of Ti exhausts, they do not bend the pipes, they simply create mitred joints to make bends. It is weird, and goes against the "free flowing" exhaust idea in my opinion. The exhaust tubing should slow nicely with smooth rounded bends when needed, and only if needed.

-Andy
Which exhausts look good by your standards? I've bought a Ti one with bent pipes (like this thread) and I'm very happy with the aesthetics and sound. I also needed an exhaust which was fully bolt-on, a lot of the SS ones were cut & weld.

Regarding the cracking, I haven't had any issues with GruppeM over the winter. And I'm sure with the non-ripoff brands one wouldn't have those issues.

I believe the OP's question is focused around the exhausts which are over $10K versus SS ones like Remus for example.
      05-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Doru in Romania
Private First Class
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post

-Andy
which brand is that?
      05-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
askiles
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

Looking at the exhaust sticky, I guess the only one that is notchy looking is the Encore Innovations Ti exhaust. The rest do look smooth, some just havea tone of welding. SS tubing is easier to come by in big lengths, were big lengths can be fully bent.

The only SS system that I know of that you have to cut stock pipes and clamp on the exhaust system is Remus and Eisenmann. Eisenmann even has connecting pipes now though.

Basically, I just can't see the justification of the higher price of titanium, unless you car is a race car, and needs to weigh a few punds lighter. If we were talking about a whole bunch of weight, it would be different...maybe.

-Andy
      05-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Doru in Romania
Private First Class
Romania
Rep

I placed a post that have been deleted saying I don't like the Encore due to lack of engineering.
      05-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

i have heard that the TI exhausts are LESS raspier. Correct me if im wrong

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
NLMiami
///Menace 2 Society
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jerez E92

I've had the Vorstenier Ti exhaust for about 6 months, and the sound is perferct IMO. Not raspy at all, just a nice, deep growl on WOT. There's plenty of videos on youtube to check out the different sounds (albeit its much better in person)

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Z View Post
2) If you live in an area that gets real cold than Ti can crack and then see reason #1.
???

Say NYC is 20C colder than SF. That is not all that relevant given the exhaust can experience temperature differences of hundreds of C during normal operation.

I have a Vorsteiner Ti exhaust and I live in the NE. I've been using it on the street and on the track (prolonged high rpm driving where temperatures are the highest). No problems so far.
      05-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Encore Innovation
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_LIN View Post
i have heard that the TI exhausts are LESS raspier. Correct me if im wrong

Ed Lin
on M3 yes.
Appreciate 0