BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

04-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 DCT E92 M3

08 E92 #4 & #3 cylinder malfunction....

Hey guys,

so there i was driving along when all of a sudden my check engine light came on and the car immediately went into limp mode. A few minutes later, the increased emissions light came on. I had just started the car and went around 200 feet when everything started. Earlier, I was romping around a little, but i had the girlfriend in the car so it wasnt like i was winding through all the gears.

The car sounded like i threw an aggressive cam on. At first, i thought it was an exhaust leak, but after i stepped out of the vehicle while it was running, there was no evidence of an exhaust leak. To make a long story short, once drove it to the dealer and after they did a diagnostics test they found that the #4 cylinder wasnt firing at all. They changed the coilpack and plug, and still nothing. After some troubleshooting, they finally got the #4 to start firing (they didnt say what exactly they did). However, once they did that, #3 lost ALL compression.

The dealer (Southbay BMW in El Cajon, CA) said that they were speaking with BMW directly and just waiting on word for what to do next. I spoke with the tech, and he said that it could possibly be bad valve springs.

My question is, are bad valve springs common on '08's? Also, has anyone else had issues like this before? Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-JP
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You're definitely not the first man. Do a search. Read about another case not too long ago. The good news is it can be repaired without removing the engine. Hey, what build date is your car? That SUCKS. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep

thanks for the tip brotha. im pretty sure my car was built before 05/08. the dealer is telling me that it will be covered under the warranty, THANK GOD! Ill definitely do a search, thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogbubbaE92 View Post
Hey guys,

so there i was driving along when all of a sudden my check engine light came on and the car immediately went into limp mode. A few minutes later, the increased emissions light came on. I had just started the car and went around 200 feet when everything started. Earlier, I was romping around a little, but i had the girlfriend in the car so it wasnt like i was winding through all the gears.

The car sounded like i threw an aggressive cam on. At first, i thought it was an exhaust leak, but after i stepped out of the vehicle while it was running, there was no evidence of an exhaust leak. To make a long story short, once drove it to the dealer and after they did a diagnostics test they found that the #4 cylinder wasnt firing at all. They changed the coilpack and plug, and still nothing. After some troubleshooting, they finally got the #4 to start firing (they didnt say what exactly they did). However, once they did that, #3 lost ALL compression.

The dealer (Southbay BMW in El Cajon, CA) said that they were speaking with BMW directly and just waiting on word for what to do next. I spoke with the tech, and he said that it could possibly be bad valve springs.

My question is, are bad valve springs common on '08's? Also, has anyone else had issues like this before? Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-JP
Its South County
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
Its South County
God bless them...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

There is someone else having this same issue with cylinder 7 I believe. I'll try to find the thread.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Super Silver GTR

Quote:
Hey guys,

-JP
JP,
i had the same issue with mine. it actually started the day after i bought it (preowned). anyway, i can't remember exactly what the fix was, but do a search for "engine malfunction/increased emissions." you will find what you need there.
i remember i had a xmas tree of lights on the nav display with errors, what i can remember is: engine malfunction, increased emissions, edc malfunction, and i think one or two more. it all went away after i shut the car off and turned it back on. sometimes it took more than once shutting it off to clear. if i remember correctly, it was a bad idle regulator valve or something like that, but i hope that helps. by the way, it was an easy and quick fix once they got the part in. good luck.

mike
2008 IB E92 ON BLACK| 6 SPD | NAVIGATION | IPOD W/USB | CF ROOF | 20% TINT | 8000K ALPINE HID | GLOSS BLACK KIDNEYS | PAINTED REFLECTORS | PAINTED SIDE GILLS | TINTED LEDs | H&R SPRINGS | VORSTEINER CF TRUNK | VORSTEINER CF DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER CF FRONT LIP | MACHT SCHNELL | CONTINENTAL |
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

here you go man, hope this helps: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ased+emissions
2008 IB E92 ON BLACK| 6 SPD | NAVIGATION | IPOD W/USB | CF ROOF | 20% TINT | 8000K ALPINE HID | GLOSS BLACK KIDNEYS | PAINTED REFLECTORS | PAINTED SIDE GILLS | TINTED LEDs | H&R SPRINGS | VORSTEINER CF TRUNK | VORSTEINER CF DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER CF FRONT LIP | MACHT SCHNELL | CONTINENTAL |
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraviator View Post
JP,
i had the same issue with mine. it actually started the day after i bought it (preowned). anyway, i can't remember exactly what the fix was, but do a search for "engine malfunction/increased emissions." you will find what you need there.
i remember i had a xmas tree of lights on the nav display with errors, what i can remember is: engine malfunction, increased emissions, edc malfunction, and i think one or two more. it all went away after i shut the car off and turned it back on. sometimes it took more than once shutting it off to clear. if i remember correctly, it was a bad idle regulator valve or something like that, but i hope that helps. by the way, it was an easy and quick fix once they got the part in. good luck.

mike

Hey Mike,

So far the dealer has sporadically been keeping me updated. The car has been at the dealer for 11 days as of today and at first they were telling me that it wasnt a valve spring, but now they are certain it is definitely a valve spring. My SA has been decent, but what i forgot to ask (and please anyone chime in if they have done this before, or heard of someone doing it) them of the possibility of just changing all the valve springs now that the motor has been dropped. I will have to see if its still out of the vehicle and if so, how much itll cost to just change all the valve springs since i know that theyre a weak link in the s54's.

wow, i dont know what i would do if the same thing happened to me right after i purchased it.. hopefully the car was at the shop for less time mine is... after it first initially happened, i turned the car off, then on again thinking it would reset, but after a few minutes, the xmas tree came back on.. its just a waiting game now... thanks for the info brotha! cheers, and take care!

JP
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraviator View Post
JP,

mike
This doesn't sound like the idle control valve. That's an easy fix.

OP, I hope they're giving you a decent loaner. You can talk with BMW about having a month covered if you're financed through them and this continues to drag out. Just hope it's not a bad bearing.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
This doesn't sound like the idle control valve. That's an easy fix.

OP, I hope they're giving you a decent loaner. You can talk with BMW about having a month covered if you're financed through them and this continues to drag out. Just hope it's not a bad bearing.
They were saying it was a spring.. Yesterday they were taking the cam out and waiting on a "special tool" after that. They gave me a 328i, which isnt too bad, only because the fuel consumption is much more efficient than the M. I would have liked a 335, but i didnt see any when i was waiting for my loaner. I guess I just didnt want to be that guy, since i was calling and bugging them so much about the vehicle. Hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow, or else I would have looked into them covering a month. If its a bad bearing, stand by... knock on wood... Thanks for the info brotha!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

yeah, i guess mine was the idle control valve. they had the car for a few days basically just waiting on the part. no biggy, i was out of town. i wish you luck in your case JP. by the way, i just saw your screen name. u a 46 pilot or crewman or none of the above. i'm a MH-60S pilot myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
SuitedPair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GMC 2500hd

Quote:
My SA has been decent, but what i forgot to ask (and please anyone chime in if they have done this before, or heard of someone doing it) them of the possibility of just changing all the valve springs now that the motor has been dropped. JP
Not a chance of getting all the valve springs replaced, that'll be out of your wallet when the next one goes out of warranty...I'm sure you read my debacle. Get the car back yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedPair View Post
Not a chance of getting all the valve springs replaced, that'll be out of your wallet when the next one goes out of warranty...I'm sure you read my debacle. Get the car back yet?
Got the car back yesterday!! She runs like a champ! the list of things they replaced was pretty long. they definitely changed the valve spring(#3 exhaust lifter #6 spring to be exact). i wish they would have put a price on the invoice, but i guess im glad they didnt.. i hope to never find out though.

Suited, hows your experience going? im going to check your thread right after this, but i hope something has been resolved..... cheers!
Appreciate 0