BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #45
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I found this:

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-dev...164-18229.aspx

and this:

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/prod...el-830525.aspx

Seems like the perfect solution, even in combination with the Media cradle. Too bad it's a bit pricey.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #46
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I also don't want to get burned if the next iPhone doesn't fit in the current media cradle. Plus, BMW will probably take 6 months to come out with an updated version of the Media cradle. However, you can buy a cheap 30 pin female to male adapter to plug into the cradle, then attach via cord to iPhone mounted as you described above. That is best of both worlds. You get better view of the phone, 100% forward-compatibility, as well as all the cradle functionality.
That's actually not a terrible idea. I'll still probably hold out as I won't get much benefit from the plug-in features and who knows, maybe the iPhone 5 (or whatever it is called by then) has better speech-to-text that would enable full email/sms correspondence over Bluetooth or the iDrive system.

Quote:
Got a link to the ProClip system you're considering?
Yes, I like the console mount used with the tilt swivel holder.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #47
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I found this:

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-dev...164-18229.aspx

and this:

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/prod...el-830525.aspx

Seems like the perfect solution, even in combination with the Media cradle. Too bad it's a bit pricey.
Keep in mind that the holder with the pass-through connector, while convenient, may not be the best choice since you will have to disconnect every time you want to bring the phone closer to your face. I like that holder better when you are mounting the device along your dash as it enables you to have the USB cable always connected and not hanging loosely.

With the console mount, the cable would simply dangle out-of-sight between the seat and center console when not connected to your phone. I figure this is an easy way to save $40 or so on the holder...

Also, I think that mount you listed will not work on your vehicle as it looks like it is only compatible with an older 5 series. You should use the one I linked in the previous post above, which is definitely compatible with the 2012 E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #48
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzo View Post
Keep in mind that the holder with the pass-through connector, while convenient, may not be the best choice since you will have to disconnect every time you want to bring the phone closer to your face. I like that holder better when you are mounting the device along your dash as it enables you to have the USB cable always connected and not hanging loosely.
Yeah, but with Bluetooth, why would I need to hold the phone to my face?

Quote:
With the console mount, the cable would simply dangle out-of-sight between the seat and center console when not connected to your phone. I figure this is an easy way to save $40 or so on the holder...

Also, I think that mount you listed will not work on your vehicle as it looks like it is only compatible with an older 5 series. You should use the one I linked in the previous post above, which is definitely compatible with the 2012 E92 M3.
No, that should be the right mount. The one you linked to specifically says not for M3 and gives the P/N for the link I used.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #49
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, but with Bluetooth, why would I need to hold the phone to my face?
Sorry, was under assumption that you would be playing media (iPod/Pandora/etc.) via USB and I thought it would be an annoyance to have to unplug every time you want to text, check email or surf internet when stopped. Granted you could do that while it's still mounted, but definitely not as comfortable hunched over. If you are constantly playing via Bluetooth and that 30-pin dock charger will only go to the cigarette lighter (since iDrive disables BT Audio when plugged into USB port), then by all means go with the pass-through system as, yes, it is slightly more convenient.

Quote:
No, that should be the right mount. The one you linked to specifically says not for M3 and gives the P/N for the link I used.
Correct you are, my bad. Strange that M3s aren't listed on compatibility list at the bottom though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping to pick up my mount/holder tomorrow or Friday (US headquarters is located about 30 minutes north of me) and can post some pics at that time.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #50
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, was under assumption that you would be playing media (iPod/Pandora/etc.) via USB and I thought it would be an annoyance to have to unplug every time you want to text, check email or surf internet when stopped.
I try not to do that

Quote:
If you are constantly playing via Bluetooth and that 30-pin dock charger will only go to the cigarette lighter (since iDrive disables BT Audio when plugged into USB port), then by all means go with the pass-through system as, yes, it is slightly more convenient.
Why use BT audio if you're going to have it plugged in for charging? If you're going to attach a cable, you might as well run the wire into the armrest console for USB audio playback + charging. Plus, running a USB cable is less bulky and in the way than the cigarette lighter charger.

Quote:
I am hoping to pick up my mount/holder tomorrow or Friday (US headquarters is located about 30 minutes north of me) and can post some pics at that time.
Cool, post a review.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #51
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I try not to do that
I'm more so referring to when stopped at notoriously long traffic lights or a 100+ car freight train - definitely not when driving . In actuality, I've found myself reaching for my phone less since getting my first BMW because I enjoy the driving experience so much I don't want anything to detract from it.

Quote:
Why use BT audio if you're going to have it plugged in for charging? If you're going to attach a cable, you might as well run the wire into the armrest console for USB audio playback + charging. Plus, running a USB cable is less bulky and in the way than the cigarette lighter charger.
The only reason I can think of, and this may not apply to you, is that Spotify enables steering wheel controls (and displays song information) when connected via BT Audio, but not when connected via USB. Well, sometimes song data / album art will show, but it's hit or miss and that's a completely different frustration of mine (desperately want a Spotify BMW App...)

Also, playing via BT Audio enables you to pass the phone around the car and let others choose the playlist. And since BT is such a battery suck, having a holder/mount that can easily charge the phone is nice.

Quote:
Cool, post a review.
Will do with a link posted here.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #52
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Help set me straight on all this cause I am pretty frustrated at this point.

1. What is the point/advantage of the cradle?
2. Is there a way to start BMW Apps or Pandora without touching the phone itself? Seems like a pain if it's in the cradle to have to mess with it.
3. Pandora seems to work easily when using through the USB cable but when the phone is in the cradle, I can only get it to work like 1 out of 10 times.
4. Is it possible that I could have the wrong cradle or will it not work at all if it's the wrong one?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Help set me straight on all this cause I am pretty frustrated at this point.

1. What is the point/advantage of the cradle?
2. Is there a way to start BMW Apps or Pandora without touching the phone itself? Seems like a pain if it's in the cradle to have to mess with it.
3. Pandora seems to work easily when using through the USB cable but when the phone is in the cradle, I can only get it to work like 1 out of 10 times.
4. Is it possible that I could have the wrong cradle or will it not work at all if it's the wrong one?

I missed out on bmw apps in my m3 (dec 10 build) and I wanted it for pandroa/slacker radio for some time. Ive been using BT audio to listen to Pandora and Slacker radio. I like slacker radio better because it has better content. However, I recently updated my BT audio profile via the USB port (bmw released an update for the BT in our cars) and while I didnt notice any changes with slacker radio, I DID notice that Pandora NOW SHOWS TRACK AND SONG INFO via BT AUDIO!!!

So for me, this is a HUGE win! The process for BMW apps to play Pandora seems like a PITA from what Ive seen. As of right now, when I exit my M3, pandora pauses. When I return it picks up right where it left off!

Track up and down work just fine too. So forget the cradle! BT audio man! It works easier than pandora thru bmw apps from what I could see.

Good luck!
      01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #54
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info.

Can you do the Apps over BT as well or do you need it plugged in for that? I'm still experimenting with the best way to setup the car. I currently have an ipod touch and my iphone both connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #55
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Can you do the Apps over BT as well or do you need it plugged in for that? I'm still experimenting with the best way to setup the car. I currently have an ipod touch and my iphone both connected.

Im not sure about APPs as I dont have APPs. I got hosed and didnt get apps in my 2011 m3. Mine was a Dec 2010 build.

Ive been trying to get the retrofit for 5 months now, but that Alexshop guy never calls me back when he comes to orange county.

And now that I found out that BT audio shows track info, Im over it.

Snooze you loose!
      01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
So I am still annoyed with the whole Pandora and Apps situation. Got the new cradle and I am having the same results. Doesn't matter if I start the apps before I put the phone in the cradle or not it seems. I am on version 3.1.19 of Pandora, 1.6.1 of BMW Connected and 5.0.1 of iOS5. Does the USB cable do EXACTLY the same thing as the cradle?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the USB cable do EXACTLY the same thing as the cradle?
No.

"Full Integration of Apps" is a broad term that includes thumbs up/down, etc. for Pandora.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #58
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No.

"Full Integration of Apps" is a broad term that includes thumbs up/down, etc. for Pandora.
I just tested the phone via USB and the apps and Pandora worked the first time out. I switched back and forth between them to make sure and no issues. Very odd. Maybe there's an issue with the actual connection where the cradle plugs in??

I would have just gone to the dealer but it requires a two hour drive each way and taking a day off work.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #59
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just tested the phone via USB and the apps and Pandora worked the first time out. I switched back and forth between them to make sure and no issues. Very odd. Maybe there's an issue with the actual connection where the cradle plugs in??
Not sure. Pandora looks different in the cradle, vs. USB. See attached.

Quote:
I would have just gone to the dealer but it requires a two hour drive each way and taking a day off work.
Probably just have to wait until you need maintenance or have another issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #60
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure. Pandora looks different in the cradle, vs. USB. See attached.
That looks identical on mine whether I have it in the cradle OR USB. It's only when I use it via BT that it looks different.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #61
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That looks identical on mine whether I have it in the cradle OR USB. It's only when I use it via BT that it looks different.
Hmm.. I thought I couldn't do thumbs up/down over USB when I tried one time. Maybe my memory is bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #62
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm.. I thought I couldn't do thumbs up/down over USB when I tried one time. Maybe my memory is bad.
Yeah, I made sure cause that was one of the features it is missing in BT mode, along with the album art.
Appreciate 0