BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Sad Just Sad - Oil Spill Video

I cannot believe Thad Allen is still allowed to live.

Somebody please kill the F****r.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6UFNjJzHuX0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6UFNjJzHuX0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I think that if they were able to get the dude from the "run away prius how-to" video it would have had more impact.

This one is going to be one to watch... and I'm sad to say that we'll probobly be hearing about it for the next 5+ years.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Just another fad. Just like Toyota and Goldman Sachs, people will move on to the next big thing once BP gets this shut.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Just another fad. Just like Toyota and Goldman Sachs, people will move on to the next big thing once BP gets this shut.
I agree...
      07-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow... pretty apathetic statment there. Not sure if it was meant as sarcasm, or if you really are living in a bubble.

While I agree that the American public is fickle, anyone can tell you that with 10,000,000+ (yes million) Toyota cars having been reacalled this year it is far from a fad, or isolated incident. Goldman Sachs's actions (and numerous others) are still really being felt and this "fad" oil spill is only going to drag the economy down even further...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Wow... pretty apathetic statment there. Not sure if it was meant as sarcasm, or if you really are living in a bubble.

While I agree that the American public is fickle, anyone can tell you that with 10,000,000+ (yes million) Toyota cars having been reacalled this year it is far from a fad, or isolated incident. Goldman Sachs's actions (and numerous others) are still really being felt and this "fad" oil spill is only going to drag the economy down even further...
The whole toyota thing was a fad, you don't hear anything about it anymore. Same thing will happen here..
      07-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

RE: fad and apathy - your both right - but the public can't focus on more than one or two of these 'global' events at once and keep their family/homelife/career/recreation in order. Those that don't put those others first are considered environmental extremists. We have a nation that is expected to be productive and successful at the expense of whatever else.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
What the FUCK are you talking about "just another fad"

What kind of piece of shit are you that would say that?! Have you even been paying attention? People won't "move on" because their entire way of life is being destroyed. An entire ecosystem is being destoyed you ignoramous. Where do you live? Can I come there and pour millions of gallons of waxy, shit crude on your land and then see how you deal with "moving on"?

Try fucking thinking before you post shit like that. Moron!
Uh, okay.

Although Hayward is harsh, he is right. It is a big ocean that will heal very quickly, no one will be permanently be affected by this. The people that depend on it are being compensated by a company that has taken responsibility for this. So, STFU and think about it.

In the end, only 11 people are dead (Less than the amount killed by runaway Toyota's as the news people would make you believe), there are people thinking of adequately compensating the fishing and the oil services people fairly and every effort is being made to seal it off. Just because your culture blows things out of proportion when something hits close to home does not mean that the rest of the world must sympathize.

P.S: You could pour crude on land but that would be beyond the point, it is an underwater leak that is coming on land in very tiny increments.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
The whole toyota thing was a fad, you don't hear anything about it anymore. Same thing will happen here..
Typical American. Just because you don't "hear" about it, you think it isn't happening. Oh and BTW toyota just recalled 270,000 more cars last week. Just because it didn't make any news report you heard, it's a fad?

I'm in full agreement that the mainstream media is full of shit most (if not all) of the time. Shock value makes people tune in... that's just the way it is. But just because the coverage is deemed un-newsworthy at some point (which of course it will be) doesn't mean that everything will magically be better.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I think people are taking the "fad" comment perhaps a bit out of context, or too far. I think all that was meant is that people talking about/making news on a daily basis will dwindle far before the situation is "over" if that makes any sense. Doesn't mean everything is better and all damage is repaired, but it will be out of public consciousness before you know. For example, when was the last time you heard a "donate to Haiti" commercial on the radio? That doesn't mean that people aren't working their asses off trying to reverse the damage, just that it's presence as a "hot topic" is the fad, not the actual situation. For a generalization, people that are far enough removed from the situation will tend to let it go, while those affected will continue to pursue the solution. AIG isn't making news here as often as it did, but I can guarantee you people affected by it who perhaps lost their job think about it a lot more often. News is not really an accurate representation of anything anymore
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Quote:
Uh, okay.

Although Hayward is harsh, he is right. It is a big ocean that will heal very quickly, no one will be permanently be affected by this. The people that depend on it are being compensated by a company that has taken responsibility for this. So, STFU and think about it.

In the end, only 11 people are dead (Less than the amount killed by runaway Toyota's as the news people would make you believe), there are people thinking of adequately compensating the fishing and the oil services people fairly and every effort is being made to seal it off. Just because your culture blows things out of proportion when something hits close to home does not mean that the rest of the world must sympathize.

P.S: You could pour crude on land but that would be beyond the point, it is an underwater leak that is coming on land in very tiny increments.
Afraid thats a bit of an oversimplification. They are not paying anywhere NEAR what these people are loosing daily. I guess it will have to start affecting those in Fla and up the east coast before it gets some concern. IDK

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I think people are taking the "fad" comment perhaps a bit out of context, or too far.
LOL... I don't know if "out of context" really cuts it.

I took my meaning from the dictionary:

fad (fd)
n.
A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

If, as you suggest, it was taken out of context (and I honestly don't think it was) I would encourage people to use the dictionary (it's online and everything) before choosing their words to describe something that will affect all of us in some way/shape/form before it's over.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL... I don't know if "out of context" really cuts it.

I took my meaning from the dictionary:

fad (fd)
n.
A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

If, as you suggest, it was taken out of context (and I honestly don't think it was) I would encourage people to use the dictionary (it's online and everything) before choosing their words to describe something that will affect all of us in some way/shape/form before it's over.
Out of context in the sense of being a media fad, which I agree with. I guess it depends on how you define "brief period of time". The media will cover the shit out of this until it gets stale and something else comes along. In the overall scheme of the earth, it can also be considered an overall insignificant event. Hell, one can argue that humans have only existed for a brief period of time. I'm not saying it will be forgotten next year or in 20, and that it isn't a major issue for many people and won't continue to be. Just that it depends on perspective. From a perspective that's removed from the situation, it will not be at the forefront of consciousness probably as soon as this fall, nor should it be. There will be a new media "fad" by then
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Typical American. Just because you don't "hear" about it, you think it isn't happening. Oh and BTW toyota just recalled 270,000 more cars last week. Just because it didn't make any news report you heard, it's a fad?

I'm in full agreement that the mainstream media is full of shit most (if not all) of the time. Shock value makes people tune in... that's just the way it is. But just because the coverage is deemed un-newsworthy at some point (which of course it will be) doesn't mean that everything will magically be better.
Typical? hell I drove a tundra. media blew it up for nothing. People just don't know how to drive. If the car is accelerating put the damn thing in neautral

A sticker I had made for my truck
      07-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Out of context in the sense of being a media fad, which I agree with. I guess it depends on how you define "brief period of time". The media will cover the shit out of this until it gets stale and something else comes along. In the overall scheme of the earth, it can also be considered an overall insignificant event. Hell, one can argue that humans have only existed for a brief period of time. I'm not saying it will be forgotten next year or in 20, and that it isn't a major issue for many people and won't continue to be. Just that it depends on perspective. From a perspective that's removed from the situation, it will not be at the forefront of consciousness probably as soon as this fall, nor should it be. There will be a new media "fad" by then
I completely agree with your sentiment/observations, etc... My beef is with people who are quite obvioulsly removed from the situation and seemingly proud of it. So proud and confident in all their worldly experience that they are able make blanket statements about it's effect on "the real people"... Most of them while sitting in their bathrobe in their mom's basement eating stale Cheerios.

I'm not just talking about the oil spill either. It's a lot of different issues I'm drawing on here, but the results are always the same. Lots of under-informed people being coached along by the under-informed media being coached along by under-informed experts all being spun by political/commercial operatives so that a very small group of people can make LOTS of money.

You don't have to subscribe to the politics, but IMO you do have a duty as a member of the human race to show a little compasion. I've never been one to sugar coat the truth, and I'm sure I've hurt my fair share of "feelings" in my day, but I feel like there should be at least a little less of the American self-centered sentiment with regard the oil spill. Or at least enough to keep your real feelings to yourself.

We all know where Hubris got this dude:

That's right... at the bottom of a bottomless pit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Typical? hell I drove a tundra. media blew it up for nothing. People just don't know how to drive. If the car is accelerating put the damn thing in neautral

A sticker I had made for my truck
Hey some plate and tow cover you got there - gigem

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Hey some plate and tow cover you got there - gigem
Thank you good sir.

If you're ever in south Texas let me know. I'll threat you to lunch here at my cafe.
      07-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm not just talking about the oil spill either. It's a lot of different issues I'm drawing on here, but the results are always the same. Lots of under-informed people being coached along by the under-informed media being coached along by under-informed experts all being spun by political/commercial operatives so that a very small group of people can make LOTS of money.

It sucks because if you spend too much time listening to the media you're sucked in without even knowing it. Very hard to keep perspective at times
Appreciate 0