BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

tpms

what type are our tmps stock? are they battery or non-battery? how long do they last. just got a set of wheels from eas with tpms. do i have to do anything special when switching between wheels? just reset the tpms system to the new pressures i would assume.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
what type are our tmps stock? are they battery or non-battery? how long do they last. just got a set of wheels from eas with tpms. do i have to do anything special when switching between wheels? just reset the tpms system to the new pressures i would assume.
All you have to do is reset the TMPS system in the car. The car will pick up whatever frequency the TMPS that are mounted on your car are running at.
      03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
ff1600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP 6mt YMB/SB

What happens when there are two sets of pressure sensors on board - wheels on the car and another set of wheels with tires mounted in the trunk/back seat?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Ben335
Captain
Rep

The receivers are located in the wheel well area. Tires located in the trunk would not be picked up by the receivers.
      03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1600 View Post
What happens when there are two sets of pressure sensors on board - wheels on the car and another set of wheels with tires mounted in the trunk/back seat?
Sensors don't transmit unless the wheel is turning at a certain rate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
All you have to do is reset the TMPS system in the car.
Really? No need for dealer to code the sensors??? Hope you're not confusing it with the button on the console, which is the 'flat tire warning' reset, which was designed before TPMS was mandated.

This is the first time I've heard that, and just want to make sure. Some cars have the capability for 2 sets of sensors, with a corresponding switch (usually inside the glove box). This is awesome news if true . Oh, and are you talking about '08/'09 cars, or '10? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Really? No need for dealer to code the sensors??? This is the first time I've heard that, and just want to make sure. Some cars have the capability for 2 sets of sensors, with a corresponding switch (usually inside the glove box). This is awesome news if true . Oh, and are you talking about '08/'09 cars, or '10? Thx.
On my 09 car. I have 2 sets of TPMS. One that came with my OEM 19 inch wheels and the new ones that I put on my RAC wheels that are on the car now. All I had to do when I put the RAC wheels on it reset the TPMS via iDrive and it worked perfectly.

The TPMS does not need to be coded to the car. It is pretty much plug and play as long as you have the correct TPMS for the year of the car. I understand BMW changed the TPMS for MY10.
      03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
All I had to do when I put the RAC wheels on it reset the TPMS via iDrive and it worked perfectly.
That's awesome; thanks. When it comes the time to change sensors, it's nice to know you don't have to go to a dealer, like on most other cars. Take care.
Appreciate 0