BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Sealants Difficult to Apply

I just did my summer exterior detail today. I decided to do a paint sealant (griot's), then a carnauba on top (Pinnacle Signature Series II). My first time using a sealant and man, it was difficult to tell if I was getting a nice thin even coat over the surface. I kept thinking I wasn't putting enough on the pad (griot's orbital), but then I would realize the pad was over saturated.

I had a similar experience with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (synthetic) with my Jeep. Seems like synthetic waxes just don't apply like a decent carnauba. Are all sealants/synthetics prone to this?

On the other hand, the Pinnacle Signature Series II went on smooth as butter, its easy to apply thin and even, and it comes off super easy. It is such an easy wax to work with and it doesn't stain any black trim. I really like that wax, though I really don't like Pinnacle as a company. I think its better than waxes at local auto places, but not nearly the cost of a Swisswax et al. (I like a clean car, but not a $250 wax clean car)

Anyone have any sealant/wax combos they like? I like the idea of a sealant since the M3 is my DD, but I like the shine of the wax. I'd figured I'd try a different combo when I do this again come late/fall winter.

Thanks

---

On a side note, I tried Griot's paint clay too. That also worked like crap. I went back to the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay I had on the shelf. Griot's clay was difficult to shape, doing plastic bag test it didn't pick up as nearly as much junk off the paint, etc. I wanted to try some other brands besides Pinnacle (what I got when I ordered the M3, for better or for worse), but Griot's didn't really come through.

I think I will give Griot's a rest now. I like trying different and new products anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I wouldn't use an orbital to apply sealant... you will waste a tone of product and I bet that was your issue. I would apply by hand. It should be VERY thin... not like a wax... thinner. Most sealants, in my opinion, would only need about a dime sized drop on the middle of an applicator pad for a 2' x 2' section of the car.

One product I have found that was easy to apply and remove was Menzerna Powerlock. Application reminded me of a wax. If you top it with a wax, wait until the sealant is fully cured (if it were me I would wait at least 12 hours or longer depending on the sealant). A wax isn't really needed unless you like the look. You can top a sealant with whatever wax you like looks wise and if you like the Pinnacle waxes, I'd stick with that.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I wouldn't use an orbital to apply sealant... you will waste a tone of product and I bet that was your issue. I would apply by hand. It should be VERY thin... not like a wax... thinner. Most sealants, in my opinion, would only need about a dime sized drop on the middle of an applicator pad for a 2' x 2' section of the car.

One product I have found that was easy to apply and remove was Menzerna Powerlock. Application reminded me of a wax. If you top it with a wax, wait until the sealant is fully cured (if it were me I would wait at least 12 hours or longer depending on the sealant). A wax isn't really needed unless you like the look. You can top a sealant with whatever wax you like looks wise and if you like the Pinnacle waxes, I'd stick with that.
Thanks. I'd try it by hand next time, and I'll probably try Powerlock, I've read some good things already from these forums on it. Griot's online video did it with an orbital, so I went with the orbital as well. I actually did the sealant yesterday, let it sit on for 1 hr (per instructions), wiped off, then today I did the wax, hoping that overnight was enough for the sealant to *seal* :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

If you were using an orbital, I don't think you'd need to worry about not using enough product to get a nice even thin coat on the car. When used properly, the orbital does most of the work so only a little bit of product is needed. Since you were worrying about it, you were probably using more product than needed.

I like to use Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and then after it cures, I top it off with Dodo Juice Supernatural wax. Another product I like to use, if time is limited, is Klasse All-in-one - it's a sealant/polish in one.

There are so many options when it comes to sealants and waxes to get the best desired look, but when it comes down to it, how well you prep the paint before sealing/waxing will determine how shiny, wet, reflective, deep, etc., the sealant/wax will make the paint look. A very well prepped car will also make the sealant/wax last longer because it will cure much more better on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridonculous View Post
If you were using an orbital, I don't think you'd need to worry about not using enough product to get a nice even thin coat on the car. When used properly, the orbital does most of the work so only a little bit of product is needed. Since you were worrying about it, you were probably using more product than needed.

I like to use Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and then after it cures, I top it off with Dodo Juice Supernatural wax. Another product I like to use, if time is limited, is Klasse All-in-one - it's a sealant/polish in one.

There are so many options when it comes to sealants and waxes to get the best desired look, but when it comes down to it, how well you prep the paint before sealing/waxing will determine how shiny, wet, reflective, deep, etc., the sealant/wax will make the paint look. A very well prepped car will also make the sealant/wax last longer because it will cure much more better on the paint.
I couldn't have said it better - bravo and I completely agree.
Appreciate 0