BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
efabache1385
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Warranty Issues with Exhaust Systems?

So I want to get the Akropovic Evolution exhaust system, but decided to talk to the guy who sold me my car first to see what the warranty implications were (he told me to get a tune and pulley and exhaust when I bought it-said they were the best ways to add power without voiding warranty)

His response was that high flow cats or an x pipe could void a lot of things beyond the exhaust "All the way to possibly the engine warranty being voided. I would only do a cat back exhaust system."

I was wondering what y'all think about this. Can HFCs and an x pipe cause ANY problems with the car? Is this something I should worry about? I just don't want to risk voiding the whole warranty from an exhaust system.

On that note, if I do end up getting an axle back system because of this issue, what are the best sounding systems to look at. I know the best in terms of complete systems but running OEM exhaust with just axle back aftermarket, what do y'all think?

Thanks in advance for any help
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Highly unlikely that HFC's could do anything to negatively affect the motor. They are, however, illegal in most states as you're messing around with the emissions of the car. HFC's do make the car manufacturer's case a lot easier though in the event that they want to deny warranty coverage.

A tune and pulley have much more direct effects on the car, and I would never trust a salesman's word on those not voiding warranty. Frankly, I'm surprised he/she would say that. A tune would make it very easy for BMW to deny warranty coverage if they wanted to. Not so much a pulley, but if your power steering goes bad, forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
efabache1385
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
Highly unlikely that HFC's could do anything to negatively affect the motor. They are, however, illegal in most states as you're messing around with the emissions of the car. HFC's do make the car manufacturer's case a lot easier though in the event that they want to deny warranty coverage.

A tune and pulley have much more direct effects on the car, and I would never trust a salesman's word on those not voiding warranty. Frankly, I'm surprised he/she would say that. A tune would make it very easy for BMW to deny warranty coverage if they wanted to. Not so much a pulley, but if your power steering goes bad, forget about it.
Yeah hes a young salesman. Said he has a few customers that have done Active Autowerke's stuff and have had good results and no problems. He told me to go with Active Autowerke's tune because BMW's computers can't detect it.

What mechanical problems could arise from using HFCs though? I mean, could they directly cause any problems with the engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

If you get a full exhaust system, your CEL will turn on and you car will run like shit unless you get a tune or get the Akrapovic "Delete-R". I would recommend you the Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust System and ESS have a special tune for this system. If you need any parts or question call RENN SPEC ask for Jason.

And never trust a salesman, most of them don't know shit about anything. They will said whatever it takes to get it sold.
Tune and pulley will void the engine warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
If you get a full exhaust system, your CEL will turn on and you car will run like shit unless you get a tune or get the Akrapovic "Delete-R". .
Your car will run just fine with the CEL on, it definitely won't run like shit. And the delete-r just sends a clear code to the ecu every ten minutes, so if it actually did run like shit, the delete-r wouldn't help you.
      08-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

Just curious..what else voids warranty? Suspension? Aftermarket carbon fiber? what will and what wont?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
If you get a full exhaust system, your CEL will turn on and you car will run like shit unless you get a tune or get the Akrapovic "Delete-R". I would recommend you the Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust System and ESS have a special tune for this system. If you need any parts or question call RENN SPEC ask for Jason.

And never trust a salesman, most of them don't know shit about anything. They will said whatever it takes to get it sold.
Tune and pulley will void the engine warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Your car will run just fine with the CEL on, it definitely won't run like shit. And the delete-r just sends a clear code to the ecu every ten minutes, so if it actually did run like shit, the delete-r wouldn't help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
Just curious..what else voids warranty? Suspension? Aftermarket carbon fiber? what will and what wont?
Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
I dislike having to give anyone a vague answer, but the only true answer is this: "It depends on your dealership/service advisor."

Technically, no, your dealer cannot void your warranty solely based on the fact that you possess a modified vehicle. But depending on your dealer or SA, they most certainly can try. Put it this way. If you have exhaust and your suspension blows, you'll probably be ok. If you have exhaust and your motor goes bad, depending on your dealer, they may or may not try to void your motor warranty, and if they do, the burden of proof comes down to you.

As an practical example, my friend went to a dealership with 335i that was, with the exception of VMR wheels, 100% stock. The dealer tried to void his suspension warranty.

That being said, the most important thing is to have a good relationship with your SA, and constantly give them 5 stars on their evaluation (This is assuming they DID deserve it.). Nothing they like more than getting paid for doing their job right.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Tune would void warranty? I was just told by Mike with Powerchip that the tune would not affect warranty.

"Warranty should not be affected. The dealer should not be able to see that you have any changes in software, and your car will interact with the dealers systems the same way a stock car would."

Thats what I was told. Powerchip has a very good reputation so I wouldn't think that he would say that just to sell his product. Can someone with a tune chime in in terms of warranty?
2008 BMW M3 e92 Space Grey/Silver Novillo // 20% tint // Hardwired V1 // Painted side reflectors // Matte black kidney grills // Matte black side gills // BMW Performance steering wheel // Match Schnell air filter // RPi Scoops // Gintani Race exhaust //

2010 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
Tune would void warranty? I was just told by Mike with Powerchip that the tune would not affect warranty.

"Warranty should not be affected. The dealer should not be able to see that you have any changes in software, and your car will interact with the dealers systems the same way a stock car would."

Thats what I was told. Powerchip has a very good reputation so I wouldn't think that he would say that just to sell his product. Can someone with a tune chime in in terms of warranty?
It will void if you get caught, just like anything else....A dealer can't tell at a glance. But for whatever reason, if someone has a reason to go through the effort of shifting through your ECU's code, and find that code has been changed, good luck having your warranty hold up.

Just saying. The likelihood is low, but I figure you should know that the possibility exists. Just like how my doctor told me that the possibility of me losing feeling in my jaw existed since my wisdom teeth were impacted and heavily infected near my nerves. Did I lose any feeling? Nope, still hurts like a fucking bitch. But he told me about the possibility anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Haha, I like the analogy.

Well, I have a good relationship with my SA so I will probably talk it over with him first and see what he says. I would really like a tune though, I need to wake this damn car up!
2008 BMW M3 e92 Space Grey/Silver Novillo // 20% tint // Hardwired V1 // Painted side reflectors // Matte black kidney grills // Matte black side gills // BMW Performance steering wheel // Match Schnell air filter // RPi Scoops // Gintani Race exhaust //

2010 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Primary Cat Delete in my experience (dyno verified) without appropriate tuning results in lean fuel mixtures (like 14:1). The impact of HFCs on fuel mixtures will be less, but still you should really have a tune designed for a high flow exhaust system.

I guess BMW could argue that removing the HFCs could screw with the tune but the ECU is very powerful and dynamically adapts to most adverse conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

mixja, could you post your results of the primary cat delete?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Haven't had any customer with any of our exhaust systems have their warranty voided because of the exhaust
Appreciate 0