BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

2010 Scoring System "Winner Takes All" What??

Wow Ecclestone has done it, that greedy bastard...F1 is going to pot my friends. Go have an orgie Max and maybe take some more dirty money under the table.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090504....ystem-for-2010

The controversial 'winner takes all' scoring system has been rubber stamped for introduction in 2010 by the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

The governing body tried to introduce Bernie Ecclestone's favoured system this year, but the late change was vetoed by the F1 teams alliance FOTA.

We reported in March that the FIA would consult the teams before trying to introduce the system for 2010, but the new sporting regulations for next year already feature the controversial rule.

Article 6 states that the drivers' title "will be awarded to the driver who has been classified first in the greatest number of races".

The news has until now slipped the attention of the media because - unlike all other changes to the rules - the amended rule was not highlighted in pink and underlined in copies of the 2010 sporting regulations.

The FIA also confirmed that, accompanying the ban on race refuelling next year, drivers in 'Q3' can refuel under parc ferme conditions prior to the race.

This change ensures the spectacle of low-fuel dashes for pole position, not affected by varying race strategies.
      05-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Button will win the WDC this season already if the medal system started this year.....
      05-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

wow. totally lame. so once a driver has the majority of first place finishes under his belt, there is ZERO incentive for teams to race and compete. good job F1. ****.
      05-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
wow. totally lame. so once a driver has the majority of first place finishes under his belt, there is ZERO incentive for teams to race and compete. good job F1. ****.
correct....
for example...17 races this season....if any driver has a strong start and win the first 9 races....he will then be the WDC after the German GP....
      05-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Fooking stupid! That is all....
      05-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
For the life of me, I can not begin to understand why this is even being discussed. This is the single dumbest idea, in regards to F1, I have ever heard.

I very clearly recall the F1 points system being overhauled for the '03 season. This was because the Maccas and Prancing Donkeys were getting all of the points. Back then points were handed out from 1st thru 6th place. with the domination the Ferrari was enjoying at the time, no other team was getting points. So they changed the point system so that some of the other teams would get a point here & there.

Now they want to only hand out "medals" to the top 3 finishers? Huh? I don't understand how this is better?
      05-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
For the life of me, I can not begin to understand why this is even being discussed. This is the single dumbest idea, in regards to F1, I have ever heard.

I very clearly recall the F1 points system being overhauled for the '03 season. This was because the Maccas and Prancing Donkeys were getting all of the points. Back then points were handed out from 1st thru 6th place. with the domination the Ferrari was enjoying at the time, no other team was getting points. So they changed the point system so that some of the other teams would get a point here & there.

Now they want to only hand out "medals" to the top 3 finishers? Huh? I don't understand how this is better?
Sounds like F1 is going "backwards"....
      05-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post

I remember this is to let the season ending races to be a bit more exciting and more drivers are closer to Schumi's points.....
as well as some slow teams to score a few points once a while....that yields bonus from FOM after the season ended....so they wun go bankrupt and leave F1 "that soon"...
      05-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

i am trying to look at this from all angles, and i can't see how this is even remotely prudent. especially given the state of the economy (and several organizations either already backing out or contemplating getting out), this is even more reason for semi-successful and not-so-successful teams to give up on F1. if F1 is going to highlight the 1st place winner this way, all of the other higher ranking teams are always going to be in the shadows, and it is going to be that much harder to move up and be recognized. not to mention the fact that viewers aren't going to give two craps about any races after 1/2-3/4 during the season once the winner is determined.

whoever did this either knows something that we don't, or is a complete fool. FAIL.
      05-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
i am trying to look at this from all angles, and i can't see how this is even remotely prudent. especially given the state of the economy (and several organizations either already backing out or contemplating getting out), this is even more reason for semi-successful and not-so-successful teams to give up on F1. if F1 is going to highlight the 1st place winner this way, all of the other higher ranking teams are always going to be in the shadows, and it is going to be that much harder to move up and be recognized. not to mention the fact that viewers aren't going to give two craps about any races after 1/2-3/4 during the season once the winner is determined.

whoever did this either knows something that we don't, or is a complete fool. FAIL.
Given its Bernie who promoted this idea and implement it...i'd take the later....he's also the one put the Malaysian GP at 5pm local which eventually there's only 1/2 race coz heavy downpour....but he justified the TV ratings in Europe went up 300% and gained more than 50% market share...something like that...so its all about $$$$$$

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...273447,00.html
      05-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Given its Bernie who promoted this idea and implement it...i'd take the later....he's also the one put the Malaysian GP at 5pm local which eventually there's only 1/2 race coz heavy downpour....but he justified the TV ratings in Europe went up 300% and gained more than 50% market share...something like that...so its all about $$$$$$

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...273447,00.html
I wonder how well the ratings will be when the winner is decided after 9 races and the following ones will have nobody on the track...
      05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

mehhhh, I was becoming fan last year

Excited this year but with all the continual changes and bs, I couldn't give a sh*t either way.

F1 appears to run by a bunch of monkeys, they have yet to do anything to gain fans interest

The KERS was cool then everyone needs to fight about rear diffusers and then a game of he said/she said with Hamilton et al, please

F1 is quickly becoming the NA equivalvent of arena football

Watch, I give it 2 weeks and there wil be another stupid thing that they decide to do that will draw attention away from the car and drivers and focus again on how the show is run by clowns

F1 is losing relevance fast

I am gonna stick with ALMS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

There are always teams and players/drivers dominate in sport at times. Some that came to mind are Manchester United, Schumacher, Australian Cricket Team, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, Williams, Pete Sampras and Roger Federer, Valetino Rossi. If one team is going to dominate like some of the eras, they are going to dominate regardless of what point system there is.

I actually believe the placing systems would actually encourage better racing in F1. What it needs is a full count back system. Which means even when you are at the back you will still have to race for an extra place. There should be more points for the constructor titles, may be up to the top 10 and close up the points to keep at least one championship alive even when there is someone or a team dominating. Having a hybrid system is just confusing and silly.

So the winner of the championship would have the most race wins, if they are the same, it will count their most 2nd place, and so on. This format should be use for all the subsequent placings of the driver's championship. That means, every place will count towards the end. Every DNF would also count as well so that everyone knows that they have to finish the race - a place 20 would be better than a dnf.

What F1 needs is a set of rules that doesn't change much, with a good set of equalisers that would limit team dominance. Things that are found that has been good in other sports are salary caps/budget caps. The other one I can think of is open source - but not sure how well that can be implemented.

If you've got bad rules and allow one team to dominate for too long, then doesn't matter what point system you have.

Forcing F1 to have standardized body parts are just silly, as that defeat the purpose of F1. F1 is suppose to be a marketing exercise for the car manufacturers anyway. Ferrari, will not be here without F1. F1 is all about technology as well. I think the biggest problem with F1 today is Bernie Ecclestone as he owns the right to F1. What F1 need is an independent body that will share all earnings back to the team to fund the sport and a budget cap could be set that way.

If I am running F1, then I would be looking at developing technology that is relevant - Fast and Green - ie have limited fuel for the race and set a budget cap. Have a rough technology guide to promote racing, and an open source for certain design elements.
Appreciate 0