BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #133
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
61
Rep
2,392
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Great choice! I have two Breitlings but also picked up a PO (the XL) this summer. A great watch!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, MT
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #134
brianeck
Captain
48
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Sakhir/Amaro Brown
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nyack NY

iTrader: (0)

Check out Mido. Everyone has Omega and Brietling watches! Same price range, great auto swiss movement, same family as omega (swatch group), and you'll get just as many compliments and have something much more unique!
__________________
2015 m3 6mt Sakhir Orange/Amaro Brown Geri Halliwell (Ginger)
**Used 18 inch Enkei Tuning Raijin Winter Wheel Set (Michelin Xice 3s in225/50/R18) for sale, PM me (will NOT fit f80 m3 brakes!). PM me

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #135
boots
Colonel
boots's Avatar
54
Rep
2,665
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

Funny I never c anyone w either watch on. I always c people w tags. Either way my watch will be here either tomorrow monday. I'm happy w my purchase.
Thanks KScarrol

Last edited by boots; 11-08-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #136
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
4,765
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Funny I never c anyone w either watch on. I always c people w tags. Either way my watch will be here either tomorrow monday. I'm happy w my purchase.
Thanks KScarrol
From what I've observed over the past 30 years, unless one dwells in the world of wachies, wealthy folks or both, one generally isn't that likely to see any watch costing more than $1000. After all, the average sum spent on a watch is ~$300, with the average Swiss watch costing ~$750 and the average high-end watch costing ~$2500.
Inasmuch as most Omegas cost more than $2500s, you can expect not to see too many of them. Now if you fly a lot, on a flight, you'll surely see more watches that are pricey quite simply because folks that fly often are who is mostly on planes and those folks on average are highly compensated and will therefore buy pricey stuff, seeing as they can.

There are other "select" situations and whatnot that will make it appear that "everyone" has an Omega, Rolex or whatever it is one might see a lot of. I can't tell you how often I've seen folks write or heard them say, "Rolexes are a dime a dozen. You see them everywhere, and everyone has one." Now I don't care where you live or where you go, certain facts make statements like that nothing buy hyperbole.

Rolex, for example, produces ~900K watches per year. As one goes back in time, that number grows smaller. So regardless of one's own circumstances and personal observations:
  1. Everyone does not own a Rolex.
  2. A Rolex watches not a dime a dozen.
  3. When you go somewhere, you may see a Rolex on someone's wrist, but Rolexes are not everywhere.
I used Rolex as my example, but the exact same things can be said of Omega and every other watch that sells for more than the average price of watches.

At some point, most folks suffer from a warped sense of perspective when it comes to the abundance of pricey stuff. The distortion caused by their special circumstances may lead them to incorrectly devalue things that are in fact far more valuable than they believe. For my part, I just try to keep my eye peeled for one of those folks who think Rolexes are a dime a dozen and will sell me theirs for a dime, in which case if they have a dozen, I'll buy all 12 of them.


All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #137
boots
Colonel
boots's Avatar
54
Rep
2,665
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cypress Tx

iTrader: (0)

True statement tony. That's why I'm just as happy wearing my 18 dollar academy watch
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #138
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
4,765
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
True statement tony. That's why I'm just as happy wearing my 18 dollar academy watch
Nothing wrong with that. I suspect you won't see many of them on other folks' wrists either.

To be sure, if one craves apparent exclusivity, one can buy at the high or very low end of the price spectrum and get it. Exclusivity is for everyone.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #139
DocMick
Private First Class
DocMick's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Only a Richard Mille is worthy of telling time

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #140
anselmw
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2001 M Coupe, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are other "select" situations and whatnot that will make it appear that "everyone" has an Omega, Rolex or whatever it is one might see a lot of. I can't tell you how often I've seen folks write or heard them say, "Rolexes are a dime a dozen. You see them everywhere, and everyone has one." Now I don't care where you live or where you go, certain facts make statements like that nothing buy hyperbole.

Rolex, for example, produces ~900K watches per year. As one goes back in time, that number grows smaller. So regardless of one's own circumstances and personal observations:
  1. Everyone does not own a Rolex.
  2. A Rolex watches not a dime a dozen.
  3. When you go somewhere, you may see a Rolex on someone's wrist, but Rolexes are not everywhere.
I used Rolex as my example, but the exact same things can be said of Omega and every other watch that sells for more than the average price of watches.

At some point, most folks suffer from a warped sense of perspective when it comes to the abundance of pricey stuff. The distortion caused by their special circumstances may lead them to incorrectly devalue things that are in fact far more valuable than they believe. For my part, I just try to keep my eye peeled for one of those folks who think Rolexes are a dime a dozen and will sell me theirs for a dime, in which case if they have a dozen, I'll buy all 12 of them.


All the best.
Great analysis, I agree it depends on the situation and that is the issue. Rolex is a great example and they have been making that many watches a year. So if you think about it, people who can afford to buy watches at this price point are a small subset of the population and naturally will be in the same working circle, schools, social settings. In that context you will most likely see Rolexes and other high end watch brands everywhere. They are not a dime a dozen but they are everywhere if you run in the same social circles. That is why even in these social circles, there is room for even more exclusive and expensive brands like Patek, AP, VC... And even within the top 3 you will see even more exclusive watche models. Try purchasing a Patek Nautilus 5711 with blue face brand new from a dealer, ridiculous wait list time. Personally I am a partial to Omega but am looking to get a Patek so in doing the research noticed this. No different than ladies handbags, LV vs Hermes.
__________________
2011 E90 M3
2001 M Coupe
2015 Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #141
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
4,765
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
Only a Richard Mille is worthy of telling time

Yes, and if Richard wants to follow me around and tell me the time of day when I want to know it, by all means, he can do just that.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #142
DocMick
Private First Class
DocMick's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Finally a short post from tony20009

And I couldn't agree more


Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #143
brianeck
Captain
48
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Sakhir/Amaro Brown
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nyack NY

iTrader: (0)

I would have posted this originally but I was on the mobile site and couldn't resize the pics. I like color and got this one to go with my SO m3. They have a similar one in black and white and one with yellow accents as well.

I really liked the fact that the rotating bezel is actually inside the case. Its operated by the second crown on the bottom left of the watch. The chronograph buttons screw to lock as well, when they are out the little orange bits are covered.

I am TOTALLY one of those guys who flies all the time like someone mentioned above, haha, so I guess I do end up with a watch bias lol. I'm on the road like 80-100 days a year at the moment.
Attached Images
   
__________________
2015 m3 6mt Sakhir Orange/Amaro Brown Geri Halliwell (Ginger)
**Used 18 inch Enkei Tuning Raijin Winter Wheel Set (Michelin Xice 3s in225/50/R18) for sale, PM me (will NOT fit f80 m3 brakes!). PM me

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #144
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
13,956
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

How is it having so many buttons on the case, 1 often irritates and digs into my wrist. Can't image having 5.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #145
zmanH2
New Member
zmanH2's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 320i AW
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #146
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
13,956
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Dude I'm zman, been called that since little league.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST