BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
So basically the E series coupe= CLS(Which is a fake coupe)

C class coupe= C class coupe+ E class coupe(aka CLK)

Right? I agree with stickypaws it's false marketing at least when it was the clk they were not pretending it to be an e class.
You got it

And it's not so much the MSRP (the only thing the consumer sees) but the internal profit MARGIN that is made this way. There's a reason why they stopped calling it a CLK.

"A two-door E-Class Coupe was introduced as part of the new eighth-generation E-Class, at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, as Mercedes-Benz intended to leverage the better-known E-Class nameplate. However, like the two generations of the CLK-Class, the new E-Class Coupe is based on the contemporary C-Class platform. It will be produced in Bremen. The E Class four-door sedan will still be made in Sindelfingen."

Anyway, they are a profit making company.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #24
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

You are making it sound like they took a C coupe and slapped on an E-class badge. There's more to it than the platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I like the idea of WANTS vs NEEDS.
That got me thinking which one I really need more. Then I realized I don't really need the off-road capability. Honestly, I don't really have a "need" in a new car, whatever just satisfies my wants is pretty much what I need. I don't need 400hp, I just want it. I don't need the extra benefit provided by the SUV, I just want it.

Man this is frustrating. I should just settle with a friggin Porsche Cayenne Turbo for $120,000. I'll be satisfied with the car. I don't know if I'll have a place to live though.

Great opinions guys. Lets keep this C-class platform thing aside though.
It really isn't important in this discussion. More stories from people please! I'm enjoying all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with sharing platforms, many (most ) mfgs do it.

"But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

I'm talking about pricing structures here and not "good" versus "bad."
Totally understand your point. It is a good argument, a fact, and quite frankly, a valid one.
The second statement I did tell myself after the first one I posted in my previous post was, "It would've been better with dedicated E-class coupe platform".

Every industry is full of profit-oriented firms. That includes BMW.
The E-Class Coupe movement clearly defines the difference between BMW and Mercedes. I believe BMW wouldn't do something like this if they were to ever make a 5 series coupe. BMW strives for driving pleasure. This is the difference between principles of the two german companies. However, none of them is wrong. BMW and Mercedes obviously know their consumers. Majority of E-Class buyers who wants a Coupe won't be performance enthusiasts. Most of them just wanting some looks, somewhat sporty driving, and mostly about amenities and luxury. Consumers in this category will not look for how much Gs the car can pull, or how much understeer the car has for that matter. Which is exactly my story at this point of my life. Just some driving pleasure with comfortable space and technology that suits my need. The E-Coupe. It does the job.

Like someone said, there is more to a car than a platform-base. This is NOT a false advertisement, rather smart marketing and cost-saving strategy adapted by many firms. There is a no rule book stating "if you share a platform, you can't badge it differently". Its not just car industry either, this happens to so many other industries. But yes, I know you know this fact, and I honestly don't agree with the concept of this whole idea, but as a company owner, I would do exactly the same thing if I had to, so I just nod.

It is a lower cost C-Class platform car with E-Class badge, that is why the E-Class coupe is cheaper compared to previous generation that it followed, and other competitions. The cost saving done by Mercedes was handed down to customers. It perfectly works. Like I said before, Does it really matter? I've saved a thousand or two due to platform sharing, I'm paying more for the new design, more amentities and more luxury. It really doesn't bother me nor other countless e-coupe customers already. Again, a platform base no longer justifies a car in today's world. Sadly, it's the badge and the difference in design and technological options. We do live in a industry with full of annoying, extravagant marketing strategy. "The Consumer Trap" - Michael Dawson

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #26
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
You are making it sound like they took a C coupe and slapped on an E-class badge. There's more to it than the platform.
Not at all. Just pointing out that the marketing strategy has changed and there's a reason why they now call it an E Class Coupe, when it has always been known as a CLK in the past. Building cars is about profit and placement strategies are vitally important, both within the brand and with the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Its not just car industry either, this happens to so many other industries. But yes, I know you know this fact, and I honestly don't agree with the concept of this whole idea, but as a company owner, I would do exactly the same thing if I had to, so I just nod.
Of course. Nonetheless it's new for Mercedes to be doing this, so it does raise a few eyebrows. All the sections I posted in quotations and in italics come from the auto media, not me. It's kind of sad to see the CLK go away. It knew its place in the Mercedes hierarchy, and the CLK63 was a great little car. I think they should have kept the CLK name, but they're starting to name models with less logic than in the past. Like keeping '63' on the new AMGs with 5.5TTs.....

Getting a Cayenne could well solve your dilemma. You really don't need the Turbo, imho. For an SUV, the S is nimble and certainly quick enough for real world driving. You can option it out in the price range you're talking about (ie, the E Coupe.) Porsche definitely kept the S part of the SUV acronym upfront and center.

And then there's the 2012 E63 Estate. Available this fall. You can place an order now........
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #27
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Of course. Nonetheless it's new for Mercedes to be doing this, so it does raise a few eyebrows. All the sections I posted in quotations and in italics come from the auto media, not me. It's kind of sad to see the CLK go away. It knew its place in the Mercedes hierarchy, and the CLK63 was a great little car. I think they should have kept the CLK name, but they're starting to name models with less logic than in the past. Like keeping '63' on the new AMGs with 5.5TTs.....

Getting a Cayenne could well solve your dilemma. You really don't need the Turbo, imho. For an SUV, the S is nimble and certainly quick enough for real world driving. You can option it out in the price range you're talking about (ie, the E Coupe.) Porsche definitely kept the S part of the SUV acronym upfront and center.

And then there's the 2012 E63 Estate. Available this fall. You can place an order now........
This is where I'd be looking if I was in your position, OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #28
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Cayenne is definitely, and nearly the perfect choice in my situation.
However, if I were to drive the Cayenne, I would at least want the S.
Turbo is def. out of my league. Even with the S, options I need, price goes well over 80k+.

My maximum price is $65k.
Used cars, unless honda/toyota/nissan/hyundai, is not an option due to reliability.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #29
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

IMO the best looking Cayenne ever built. Offer 65 shipped. 405hp I think. Now about the MPG..
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

You will not find an 11' S in your price range unless it is very, very high mileage.
The GTS is a CPO.

Good luck.
      07-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #30
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
IMO the best looking Cayenne ever built. Offer 65 shipped. 405hp I think. Now about the MPG..
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

You will not find an 11' S in your price range unless it is very, very high mileage.
The GTS is a CPO.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #31
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I love the way Evoque looks. It got great reviews on TG last week, though TG is really not to be taken seriously.
      07-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Cayenne is definitely, and nearly the perfect choice in my situation.
However, if I were to drive the Cayenne, I would at least want the S.
Turbo is def. out of my league. Even with the S, options I need, price goes well over 80k+.

My maximum price is $65k.
Used cars, unless honda/toyota/nissan/hyundai, is not an option due to reliability.
fwiw, I configured the S several months ago (I've been considering an SUV and the Cayenne is the only one that will work for me after a long time comparing, test driving, etc..) I went to my dealer with an S and these options: PU2 (premium pkg), PU6 (Bose Audio package/includes Nav and XM), 9Q (paint), PP6 (light comfort with memory), 9W1 (phone module), QH1 (voice control.)

The total MSRP was $77, 825. After looking at several and talking to owners (I have two Porsches already and am a member of the PCA where I can talk to owners), those options are all I really needed (PASM comes on the S along with several other needed things.) My salesperson at the dealer I use (they are a MB, Jag, BMW, Audi, and Porsche dealer under one roof) said invoice is $71, 927 and the dealer cost with trunk money is $71, 075. If you have a motivated dealer with good allocations, then figure a margin between invoice and MSRP.

I'd spend the extra $$ to get what you'll really going to be happy with, esp if you're considering keeping it for the long haul. Anyway, that's just me. Of course you have tax and reg/title to figure in, too. The Cayenne is pretty reliable and they've fixed all the issues of the early models now (eg, coils and coolant pipes), so it is something you could live with comfortably and put on the miles.

Or do what Gonzo says and shop for a late model CPO'd version. The 2009 and later models all have PCM 3.0, which is a great improvement over PCM 2.0 (unless you have tiny fingers and don't mind poking at little tiny buttons )

btw, I drove the V6 and I personally could live with it no problem. It's basically the same Touareg motor. I had no issues with power in mixed driving. It cruised fine and didn't sound or feel coarse even at high rpms. The handling and nimbleness (for an SUV) is the whole point about the Cayenne, imho. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #33
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I had a sporty car (e36 M3) and a pickup truck (Ford F-350) back in the day. I decided to scale back to a one car set up and got a Cayenne S. I loved my Cayenne, but after about a year I ended up buying 987S Boxster. The Cayenne is very very good, it is the most fun SUV I have ever driven, but it still isn’t a sports car.
Appreciate 0