BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
doree610
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Risks and factory warranty issues with aftermarket stereo upgrade??

Looking into a new '12 e92 M3. narrowed down most of the options/packages for my setup. (DCT, comp pckg, premium pckg...) but still contemplating on the stereo. base system vs. enhanced premium sound... just wonddering what kind of risk i'll be running into with the bmw's warranty if i chose to upgrade the stock system. in the past i've always upgraded my stock stereo system, but with all the technology and complicated electrical work that goes into this vehicle already i'm kinda hesitant. getting to the point where i'm convincing myself that keeping things as close to stock might be the way to go.. but again for the $1900 EPS upgrade, i probably get a better system going aftermarket with that money. any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i've owned both
on my 08 i had HIFI, and upgraded that
on my 12 i have the EPS
considering the amount of work involved in the 08 to upgrade speakers, subs, amps, wiring
and that on my EPS i just added a trunk sub
i'd get EPS
EPS has tons of power, its only lacking bass below say 60hz
but add a trunk sub running low pass at 60hz and it sounds pretty damn impresside
if you want the ultimate setup then its much easier to upgrade the HIFI
you can replace the amp and speakers and subs and it will still look OEM
      03-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by doree610 View Post
Looking into a new '12 e92 M3. narrowed down most of the options/packages for my setup. (DCT, comp pckg, premium pckg...) but still contemplating on the stereo. base system vs. enhanced premium sound... just wonddering what kind of risk i'll be running into with the bmw's warranty if i chose to upgrade the stock system. in the past i've always upgraded my stock stereo system, but with all the technology and complicated electrical work that goes into this vehicle already i'm kinda hesitant. getting to the point where i'm convincing myself that keeping things as close to stock might be the way to go.. but again for the $1900 EPS upgrade, i probably get a better system going aftermarket with that money. any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
Again and again... if you are concerned about warranty then keep the car stock. It is quite simple if you think about it, seriously.

The only way to enjoy the best of both worlds -keep the audio warranty while replacing OEM components with aftermarket- is to do the job yourself in a way that it is 110% reversible back to OEM if you need to take it to the dealer. If you cannot do that then just don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Again and again... if you are concerned about warranty then keep the car stock. It is quite simple if you think about it, seriously.

The only way to enjoy the best of both worlds -keep the audio warranty while replacing OEM components with aftermarket- is to do the job yourself in a way that it is 110% reversible back to OEM if you need to take it to the dealer. If you cannot do that then just don't do it.
Well said!